There are 174 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Kaepernick is going to be the long-term answer at QB anyway, why keep Smith?

I don't thing Smith's agent lets him sign for anything not comparable to Fitzpatrick/Kolb money. These 2 dudes haven't busted a grape and folks expect Smith to sign for chump change after leading the team to the NFC championship. This is not an easy negotiation.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't thing Smith's agent lets him sign for anything not comparable to Fitzpatrick/Kolb money. These 2 dudes haven't busted a grape and folks expect Smith to sign for chump change after leading the team to the NFC championship. This is not an easy negotiation.

I see your point, I'm actually growing weary, hope we get something done asap
this deal will only get done near the start of FA to the beginning of FA
Originally posted by lamontb:

you got one side going... "look at past years" and you got the other side saying "yeah a new coach for the offense every year, and a new coach for the entire team every 2 years"...
I think Kap will be the starter in 2014
  • kush
  • Veteran
Lol at anyone saying Kaep needs to sit another year. Care to back that up with anything close to facts???

And it's so ridiculous to me how zoners can hail Harbaugh and Baalke for their decision making and execution, yet they think it's possible they would give up a 4th rounder to save face and pretend they wanted Kaep when they really wanted Dalton. The 9/11 conspiracies hold more weight than this garbage.

Harbaugh hand selected Colin Kaepernick as a starting QB for the 49ers. You may not like Kaep but please acknowledge that Harbaugh obviously does like him a lot.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Lol at anyone saying Kaep needs to sit another year. Care to back that up with anything close to facts???

And it's so ridiculous to me how zoners can hail Harbaugh and Baalke for their decision making and execution, yet they think it's possible they would give up a 4th rounder to save face and pretend they wanted Kaep when they really wanted Dalton. The 9/11 conspiracies hold more weight than this garbage.

Harbaugh hand selected Colin Kaepernick as a starting QB for the 49ers. You may not like Kaep but please acknowledge that Harbaugh obviously does like him a lot.
agree but remember.. at the time of the draft and at the time of the pick of colin, he did not know what he really had in alex so he had to take a quarterback in case alex flamed out and that way he had some insurance for the future. knowing what he knows now about alex and seeing the type of season alex had, i wonder if coach, in hindsight, would have picked something else. We will never know cuz you will never get coach to tell you no matter how drunk you get him.i think the coach does like kaep and is happy he got him but at the time of the selection,. he really had no choice.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

agree but remember.. at the time of the draft and at the time of the pick of colin, he did not know what he really had in alex so he had to take a quarterback in case alex flamed out and that way he had some insurance for the future. knowing what he knows now about alex and seeing the type of season alex had, i wonder if coach, in hindsight, would have picked something else. We will never know cuz you will never get coach to tell you no matter how drunk you get him.i think the coach does like kaep and is happy he got him but at the time of the selection,. he really had no choice.

yup, they even tried to get hasselbeck
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
If Kaep is going to be the long-term answer at QB anyway, why keep Smith?

Inspired by the thread at NinersNation.com, if Colin Kaepernick is going to be the long-term guy at QB for the 49ers -- evident by the rumored of 2 or 3 year contract offers for Alex Smith -- why are we not going after Peyton Manning? If we're going to sign a guy that can start for 2 years and then hand it over to Kaep, Manning would be a better choice, right?

Of course, this is conceding that Kaep *is* the long-term answer. Alex Smith is young enough to have another 8 - 10 years in him...if so, why is the franchise offering 2 or 3 year contracts? Is it because they don't think he's the answer? There's a chance that the 49ers and Smith agent Tom Condon are miles apart and nobody wants to talk about it. If the 49ers are putting a 3-year, $25m offer on the table, and Condon wants a Ryan Fitzpatrick-esque 6-year, $60m deal -- and Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel got similar 6-year deals, *what* are the chances he walks?

Door #1: Alex Smith gets a long-term deal, Kaep remains the backup, and we trade Kaep down the line or Kaep takes over if Smith regresses or gets hurt

Door #2: Alex Smith gets a 2 or 3 year contract and loses his job to Kaepernick in 2013 if he doesn't have a pro bowl season in 2012

Door #3: Sign Peyton Manning to a 2-year, $30m contract with the 49ers. Colin Kaepernick starts in 2014

Door #4: Let Alex Smith go *and* pass on Peyton Manning. Hand the job to Kaep in '12, sign some big name WRs -- and see what happens.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/3/7/2851196/49ers-qb-position-alex-smith-colin-kaepernick-peyton-manning

So Alex could throw for 28 TDs, 12 INTS, 4000 yards yet get over-shadowed by some of the more prolific offense and QBs, get left off the ProBowl squad and to you that means he loses he job. Ridiculous.

If you want the logic, see Trent Dilfer. He led his team to a super bowl victory and was shown the door. This is a business, if the FO thinks Alex's demands are too high, then they will let him test FA.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
yup, they even tried to get hasselbeck
is that really true donnie or was that just wishfull talk by steve young
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
If you want the logic, see Trent Dilfer. He led his team to a super bowl victory and was shown the door. This is a business, if the FO thinks Alex's demands are too high, then they will let him test FA.
oh i agree. i am a big alex fan and think he is our man but yes if they get nuts with thier offer of course the niners will call thier bluff and say , fine go test the market and see how that works out.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 9erred:
oh i agree. i am a big alex fan and think he is our man but yes if they get nuts with thier offer of course the niners will call thier bluff and say , fine go test the market and see how that works out.

Remember that Dilfer was shown the door and the Ravens never made it back to the Superbowl. I'm not saying Dilfer got them to the Superbowl but he was a much better QB for that team than what many realized. Dilfer played within a system that wanted a so-so offense so that a great defense could do its thing. Changing QBs is always a risk especially when your current QB led your team to a 13-3 record and a NFC Championship game.
All this conjecture! Teams need two or three QBs, preferably three, in case of injuries and to develop young guys who may do well in the future. Harbaugh seems very happy with his three guys. Case closed. If he changes his mind and goes after Manning he will no doubt have a good plan. If he keeps Smith and works on Tolzien and CK he will have trade bait down the road or really good depth. Many teams use to have this kind of depth at every position, but they can't fit that under the cap these days.
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
I don't think he was ever considered the QB of the future. Just because he was a 2nd round pick doesn't mean he was picked to be the starter ever.

What the heck are you smoking? I'm assuming some of the 'The Humbolt Imports'! Of course the 49ers intentions were to draft CK7 as the QB of the short and distant future. No team jumps up almost 15 spots in the draft, gives up there 2nd and 4th round pick to get a guy. The grand design of it is Harbaugh and Baalke were trying to trade up for CK7 in the 1st round with New England. But the pats wouldn't budge. When we drafted Kaps Harbuagh and Baalke made it clear that was there guy all along(Watch the press conferance)
Whatever, time will tell.

BTW had we not picked CK, we could have had Torrey Smith.
Still too raw?