There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Kaepernick is going to be the long-term answer at QB anyway, why keep Smith?

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
why would alex walk? I can't imagine any other team bidding for his starting qb services

He would walk for more money, simple as that. But that is why I said "If by some strange incident" to indicate that I dont believe that anything realistically will happen for us to lose him.

Seahawks and McClueless liked him last year and if they lost the Manning Sweepstakes I could see them calling him up again. The Jaguars also need a veteran to push Gabbert (theyre the favorites to sign Josh Johnson though), Miami could also look for a QB if they lose the Manning sweepstakes, same with Washington.

Pretty much if Alex was looking for cash and he was still unsigned after the Manning bidding war ended I wouldn't be surprised one bit if someone like the Skins, Jags, Dolphins, or Hawks called him up and offered him a sizable deal. Likely? No. Possible? Yes.
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
why would alex walk? I can't imagine any other team bidding for his starting qb services

- Seattle would sign him in a heart beat...
Originally posted by sfout:
He would walk for more money, simple as that. But that is why I said "If by some strange incident" to indicate that I dont believe that anything realistically will happen for us to lose him.

Seahawks and McClueless liked him last year and if they lost the Manning Sweepstakes I could see them calling him up again. The Jaguars also need a veteran to push Gabbert (theyre the favorites to sign Josh Johnson though), Miami could also look for a QB if they lose the Manning sweepstakes, same with Washington.

Pretty much if Alex was looking for cash and he was still unsigned after the Manning bidding war ended I wouldn't be surprised one bit if someone like the Skins, Jags, Dolphins, or Hawks called him up and offered him a sizable deal. Likely? No. Possible? Yes.

You read my mind.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
5-years, $30m? Who is he, Matt Hasselback? Matty-H is getting $20m over 3 years and he's in his late 30s.

stop insulting Alex Smith

I was just using hypothetical #s. sheesh. I know the media says the 9ers have sent him a contract of 3 years for $24M so $8M a year but I'm sure Condon and Alex want a 5 year $40M deal with escalators.
Because contrary to what most 'Zoners and Madden GM's think, throwing a young QB to the wolves rarely works. For every Cam Newton that just steps in and "gets it" there's probably 1,000 that wound up like Kyle Boller, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, and the endless list of other QB's that simply imploded. It being the toughest position on the field to play, it only makes sense to bring him along slowly. And considering that Jim Harbaugh clearly doesn't think he's ready, that's good enough reason for me.
Originally posted by baltien:
Because contrary to what most 'Zoners and Madden GM's think, throwing a young QB to the wolves rarely works. For every Cam Newton that just steps in and "gets it" there's probably 1,000 that wound up like Kyle Boller, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, and the endless list of other QB's that simply imploded. It being the toughest position on the field to play, it only makes sense to bring him along slowly. And considering that Jim Harbaugh clearly doesn't think he's ready, that's good enough reason for me.

Alex Smith was brought on pretty slow last year...
I was just using hypothetical #s. sheesh. I know the media says the 9ers have sent him a contract of 3 years for $24M so $8M a year but I'm sure Condon and Alex want a 5 year $40M deal with escalators.

no. I'm telling you, they want what all the other middling QBs get. Condon represents Fitz I think.
Alex Smith was brought on pretty slow last year...

Alex Smith also had previous NFL experience, so it's not quite the same thing.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:

No one has mentioned throwing Kaepernick to the wolves and starting him next year. It's all about what would we do if we lose Alex to FA, Sign Manning or another QB? Kaepernick will get all the time in the world to develop, we've only said that just cause we drafted a QB early last year that doesnt automatically make him him the QB of the future.
Who said Kaepernick was the long term answer? Certainly not the coach or GM. They're just giving him a chance.

Kaepernick can be this team's long term answer when he's better than Alex Smith. He's not.
No one has mentioned throwing Kaepernick to the wolves and starting him next year. It's all about what would we do if we lose Alex to FA, Sign Manning or another QB? Kaepernick will get all the time in the world to develop, we've only said that just cause we drafted a QB early last year that doesnt automatically make him him the QB of the future.

Door #4 is committing to Kaepernick in 2012. It's the least likely scenario, but would be the cheapest and its the option that allows us to keep the rest of the team together.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Door #4 is committing to Kaepernick in 2012. It's the least likely scenario, but would be the cheapest and its the option that allows us to keep the rest of the team together.

mmmm, no thank you lol. Kaepernick would get torched next season. He needs another year before he can legitimately do anything lol.

I don't get what you mean. I may be slow, but three of the four possible answers in the OP's post involved Kaep starting either this year or next year. In any case, my post wasn't to say that Kaep wouldn't do well if he started next season (who knows?). I'm only saying that history isn't on his side here, and that's why I think it makes more sense to bring him along slowly.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
I don't think he was ever considered the QB of the future. Just because he was a 2nd round pick doesn't mean he was picked to be the starter ever.

What the heck are you smoking? I'm assuming some of the 'The Humbolt Imports'! Of course the 49ers intentions were to draft CK7 as the QB of the short and distant future. No team jumps up almost 15 spots in the draft, gives up there 2nd and 4th round pick to get a guy. The grand design of it is Harbaugh and Baalke were trying to trade up for CK7 in the 1st round with New England. But the pats wouldn't budge. When we drafted Kaps Harbuagh and Baalke made it clear that was there guy all along(Watch the press conferance)
Originally posted by tankle104:
I work at 24 hr fitness over here in Livermore and this huge guy came in the other day with a wolf pack football workout shirt on and I asked of he played football for Nevada and he said yeah that he played o line with kaep. He said harbaughs cousin is a coach on the wolfpacks football team and that is how he found out about kaep in the first place. Also he said he doesn't think kaep will ever do anything in the nfl. He said even if he starts that he prolly wouldn't be any good. I'm not agreeing with him but I thought it was interesting that someone that played with him said this

Ouch! that's pretty cold. I hope he's not right. Maybe Kaep stole his girlfriend or something. I just can't figure out why a former teammate would burn him like that.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home