LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

If Kaepernick is going to be the long-term answer at QB anyway, why keep Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I am highly skeptical CK is the long-term answer for the team.

If Harbaugh can make Alex Smith look good, he most certainly can groom a better athlete in Colin Kaepernick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by sfout:
I haven't said anything about Kaepernick, I have only said that I have faith in the coaching staff but that I personally have an opinion that just cause we drafted a QB doesn't make him our QB of the future. dude your being irrational and only seeing what you want to see, its pointless to attempt to convince you otherwise. have a nice day.

It really seems you play antoganist to CK, but if I guess I'm wrong. I take your word for it man

Nope, I think he has a future in the NFL but I will not call him the 49ers QB of the future simply because Baalke drafted him in the 2nd round. I love the guy but I have a wait and see mindset.

Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by sfout:
Darren Thomas if he goes undrafted - lol a less physically gifted Josh Johnson. Thats who gets my vote for training camp competition for Tolzien.

Finally! Its about damn time we agree on something. I like your thinking on the Darron Thomas if he goes undrafted. Or if by a shock in FA we snag Josh Johnson, who knows?

yep but again if by some ungodly force Alex walks, we will sign JJ otherwise everyone needs to get used to it being Alex, Kaep, Tolzien, UDFA Rookie in camp next season.

I tend to believe he is the long-term answer for the team.

I'll show you my reasons if you show me yours.
As predicted, this has devolved into an Alex smith thread. Getting back to Kaepernick......what has he shown or done to indicate he would be ready to start next year? I say, nothing. Unless there has been some behind the scenes exponential growth that only the 9'er hierarchy has been privy to, it would be a crap shoot at best, to think Kaep can perform at least as good, and hopefully better, than Alex did. So, why keep Smith? To let Kaep. or Tolzien, continue to develop. Heck,. I'm not convinced that Tolzien may not be the better guy once all is said and done.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

If Harbaugh can make Alex Smith look good, he most certainly can groom a better athlete in Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick is the better athlete, Alex is the better QB
Before Alex gets signed, and the "happy story" is fed to us, everybody knows damn well Alex and Condon are looking for a bloated Ryan Fitzpatrick contract (where he'll be paid almost 20 million more than what he got as the 1st overall pick in 2005).
Originally posted by valrod33:
One side wants 3 years the other side wants 5 years, Only if there was a number between 3 and 5 that they could agree on

It's quite clear they aren't convinced Alex is the long-term solution, which is why they don't want to give out the 5-year deal (or anything longer than 3 years). It wouldn't surprise me if the contract allowed them to dump him after the 2nd year with no cap penalty.

Alex did well for us last season, but he isn't the QB people want to make him out to be.

No, it isn't clear. That may be the case, but we don't know and you are assuming.

Meantime google "negotiation".

It was the other way around when it was Shaun Hill vs. Alex.

MD, you are correct about most players in the draft but Baalke and Harbaugh have proven you wrong on a number of players. Let's hope you are 100% wrong about Kaep...

...too.

Proof?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
This all tells me Alex isn't going to sign for a while

It tells me that Harbaalke is perfectly comfortable with Kaep starting in '12. They'll save $10m a year in cap space and be financially set up to keep this defense together for a decade. But if Smith takes the low-ball deal, they're perfectly fine with him starting in '12 and trying to improve on '11.

I agree.
Ehy MD,
let me understand. In a year you completely changed your mind. Before you had a good (not great opionion) about Kaep, right now you are one of his greatest opponent.

why?

It's a honest and not argumentative question
kaepernick isn't ready to start. this team isn't full of f**ktards like we were before; they know how to develop a QB. Smith will be back because they want him back, he wants to be back, and because its the best thing for Kaepernick.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
kaepernick isn't ready to start. this team isn't full of f**ktards like we were before; they know how to develop a QB. Smith will be back because they want him back, he wants to be back, and because its the best thing for Kaepernick.

The other f**ktards made the mistake of thinking Alex was a normal QB. They forgot, Alex is "special" when it comes to development.

jeez maybe niners should sign an olympic decathalon like bruce jenner or dan o'brien, imagine what he could do with those athletes, as everyone knows being a successful qb equates to how good an athlete they are
Share 49ersWebzone