There are 207 users in the forums

Dexter Manley Trashing Bill Walsh - Accusing Walsh Of Running A Bounty System

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120306/sports/120309650

Manley, in an interview with 106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C., indicated that Walsh, like former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, rewarded players for injuring an opponent.

When the show's hosts expressed shock that Walsh — known for his professorial demeanor — would pull such a stunt, Manley pressed on.

"That lowdown guy, he's dead and gone now, but he had bounty programs. Yes he did," the former All-Pro defensive end said.

What a d-bag. Dude is trying to trash The Genius. Making the accusation is one thing, but is it necessary to call him lowdown as if he was some dirty, underhanded cheater? Screw Dexter Manley.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM ]
Meh it wouldn't surprise me if Walsh did have a pay/performance system going, where they rewarded guys for INTs, nice blocks, etc. I think Carmen Policy even admitted that they would reward guys for that stuff. Even hits like knock the wind out of a guy etc. But I think the big difference is the Saints attempted to seriously injure guys, which most teams didn't. I mean there is a video out there of Scott Fujita diving with his shoulder right at Steve Smith's knee, where he is more or less blatantly trying to rip up the guy's knee. He didn't succeed but the intent is still there. They were actively trying to injure Favre in that game, yeah most of the hits were legal but some of them were illegal too and those are the ones a person should have a problem with. Overall the whole 2 situations are quite a bit different. I doubt Bill Walsh ever paid Ronnie Lott to maim another player, although Ronnie injured some people on his own because he was a real tough player.
Who
Manley's brain is fried due to drugs. He is bitter and delusional.
Manley was an illiterate idiot who signed his first NFL contract by signing X on the contract, even though he got a degree from OSU.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Manley is a fool. Who cares about what he has to say. He's probably doing another line as we speak.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Manley's brain is fried due to drugs. He is bitter and delusional.

And he was always a pos. why anyone, let alone the media, takes any notice of this sort is a mystery to me
If we are going to bring up teams from the 80's and 90's then a whole lot of baggage will come out. If true then...damn I dont like it. But I am more concerned about today's game at the present time.
Dexter Carter > Dexter Manley
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Meh it wouldn't surprise me if Walsh did have a pay/performance system going, where they rewarded guys for INTs, nice blocks, etc. I think Carmen Policy even admitted that they would reward guys for that stuff. Even hits like knock the wind out of a guy etc. But I think the big difference is the Saints attempted to seriously injure guys, which most teams didn't. I mean there is a video out there of Scott Fujita diving with his shoulder right at Steve Smith's knee, where he is more or less blatantly trying to rip up the guy's knee. He didn't succeed but the intent is still there. They were actively trying to injure Favre in that game, yeah most of the hits were legal but some of them were illegal too and those are the ones a person should have a problem with. Overall the whole 2 situations are quite a bit different. I doubt Bill Walsh ever paid Ronnie Lott to maim another player, although Ronnie injured some people on his own because he was a real tough player.

I agree with this so but also back then the game was different. You could beat the crap out of QB's and there weren't all these rules to protect players. Player safety wasn't a big deal... so even if teams did do it back then it's different than doing it in today's game IMO.

P.S. I don't think Manley holds any credit and the fact that he names his big rivalries and teams he hates from the 80s is not a big shocker.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM ]

McKittrick practically invented the low block at the knees. So yeah, the team did push the envelope of what's legal. Just ask Howie Long. It's no surprise that this accusation came from a defensive player. Which is strange for younger fans that wasn't from the 80's , because bounties are usually from the defensive side. But back in the 80's our offense was deemed by the league's defenses as 'finesse'. So imagine their surprise when they got owned physically by our offense. And usually their best defensive player was targeted. Dexter Manley, Mike Singletary, Lawrence Taylor, and others were all targeted to let them know they can't intimidate our offensive players. Tom Rathman embodied this attitude. Just because they are offensive players don't mean that they can't deliver a hit.

Walsh would design a play not necessarily just to gain yardage. Sometimes it's designed to knock the other team's best defensive player on his ass. So in a sense there was a bounty.

This is what Dexter Manley is really crying about as of late.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:08 AM ]
nah Rice in another interview mentioned that Walsh didnt have such a thing. I know who I believe.
He's just mad because he got crack back block twice in a game, probably still having nightmares about that game. Theres nothing dirty about crack back block, just look at KW block on the saints lol. But this bounty issue is getting out of hand, accusing someone who past away of bounty program forealz? Gregg Williams just ruined the NFL, its sucks to see NFL next season when a player goes down people is gone start assuming its a bounty hit. SMH
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
no 1 curr
Share 49ersWebzone