LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Why did we overpay so much for Brooks? And where does that leave us now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's not in the top 3 or 4 best players in our own front 7. He's a product of the other players around him in the front 7. Way too much for him.

so if we keep our front 7, and he continues to have 7+ sacks per year, does that mean he's not worth that contract? can you point to someone in FA or the draft that can replace him currently for less?

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He won't be paid $44 Million . . .

He will if he plays out his contract and meets signing bonuses and other bonus money....
If his contract states that he needs 10 sacks a year to fulfill bonuses, is that still not worth 44 million over 6 years?

Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Hey guys...remember that one time when Nate Clements played 8 years for the Niners and received 80 million dollars....or when Albert Haynesworth played 7 years for the Redskins and made 100 million....

Or that one time when the Raiders didn't tell Kamerion Wimbley that he needed to restructure his contract or get cut....and he finished out the contract exactly how it was and played for them for 5 years and made 48 million....(http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-free-agency/2012/3/1/2835758/raiders-free-agency-kamerion-wimbley)

Yeah, those were good times...

another LINK

Wimbley was definitely not worth that contract, and Brooks got a deal for a lot less. I would take Brooks over Wimbley any day of the week

Wimbley got 29 mil guaranteed if I'm not mistaken. Brooks will get 17.5.

SD claims that both contracts are "in the ballpark" and therefore he is upset. You can agrue that Wimbley might be better than Brooks and should get more money, but these Brooks contract is not "in the ballpark" of Wimbley's and we dont even need to know the details to know that.
Totally worth it, when you have one of the best front sevens in football you keep them together. Brooks was an unsung hero last year and drew most of the offensive lines focus along with J.Smith until Aldon & Justin went beast mode when teams gave up trying to run. Now that teams will key in on Aldon, Brooks will have another career year.

In HarBaalke we trust.
if Brooks gets 7 sacks every year of this contract, he will end up with 60 career sacks for the 49ers, which will make him 3rd in franchise history, behind only Bryant Young and Charles Haley.
Originally posted by denali22:
He's not in the top 3 or 4 best players in our own front 7. He's a product of the other players around him in the front 7. Way too much for him.

so if we keep our front 7, and he continues to have 7+ sacks per year, does that mean he's not worth that contract? can you point to someone in FA or the draft that can replace him currently for less?

He won't be paid $44 Million . . .

He will if he plays out his contract and meets signing bonuses and other bonus money....
If his contract states that he needs 10 sacks a year to fulfill bonuses, is that still not worth 44 million over 6 years?

Sandiego.... What the hell is up ? Why is this stated above so hard to understand?

You are freaking out over a player possibly getting $44 million if he plays like a pro bowler for 6 yrs straight.....
Originally posted by buck:
Barrows' take on the deal . . .

Quote:
I'd be shocked if the $44.5 million contract weren't set up with relatively low base salaries early on, high ones late, and a lot of difficult-to-attain bonuses. That is, the 49ers will have cut their first meaningful free-agent deal of the season to be salary-cap friendly and to allow them to sign more of their own free agents.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/qa-how-does-brooks-deal-affect-goldson-rogers-wallace-et-al.html

Until the details of the contract are made available, we will not be able to evaluate Brook's contract or understand how it impacts free agency.

Other contracts will be signed. Hopefully, we will have the good sense to restrain our impulses and wait until we see the details before launching threads such as this one.

If we do this it will easier to have an rational discussion.

Be sure to let me know when someone starts to have a rational discussion around here. I plan on selling tickets.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Ugh. Here we go.

classic SD thread, classic job of feeding him by everyone else

webzone classic
Originally posted by HessianDud:
if Brooks gets 7 sacks every year of this contract, he will end up with 60 career sacks for the 49ers, which will make him 3rd in franchise history, behind only Bryant Young and Charles Haley.

Technically you are correct but in actuality, both Cedric Hardman and Tommy Hart had more than 60 sacks in their careers (before sacks became an official statistic). Hardman had nearly a hundred if I recall.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Mar 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Technically you are correct but in actuality, both Cedric Hardman and Tommy Hart had more than 60 sacks in their careers (before sacks became an official statistic). Hardman had nearly a hundred if I recall.
and they had less games to do it in the 14 game schedule. the 1976 team still holds the record for sacks in a season 61, including ten in one game vs the rams,, ahh the good old gold rush. always fun to go old school when i was young and believed in favorite players, cedrick hardman was mine. number 86 coming off the side was unstoppable. that year a classic game was played with them and the cardinals who had the best offensive line back then, we won, hardman and conrad dobler went toe to toe, great stuff. dan dierdorff tried to help with a double team but hart and cleveland elam and jimmy webb were just to damn tough
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

yeah, that's a shame. still, my point is just that, for those who are unimpressed by Brooks sack totals: if he can consistently do just what he's done, he'll be regarded as one of our great defensive players.

yeah someone help me out.. where does this leave us in cap space??? does it take out 7mil out of our 30mil cap space?? so now we are left with 23mil?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
yeah someone help me out.. where does this leave us in cap space??? does it take out 7mil out of our 30mil cap space?? so now we are left with 23mil?

where did you get 7m from?

it's roughly a 3m cap figure as of right now

We dont know yet, AB had a guess in one of these threads but nothing is official because we dont know what the salary cap is gonna be yet

Nah, we gotta pay the whole 44.5 mil up front.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by baltien:

Nah, we gotta pay the whole 44.5 mil up front.
Share 49ersWebzone