LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who has had the better career? Bryant Young or Justin Smith.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Bryant Young has nostalgia on his side. He also has the benefit of playing on superior teams over his career (when compared to Justin Smith).

Take a quick look at the stats:

Games Started:
BY: 208 (14 years in NFL)
JS: 171 (11 years in NFL)

Tackles:
BY: 512, 108 assists
JS: 517, 217 assists

Sacks:
BY: 89.5
JS: 72.5

Forced Fumbles:
BY: 12
JS: 13

Passes Defensed:
BY: 11
JS: 28

Pro Bowls:
BY: 4
JS: 3
So far BY... One of the ultimate team players. I used to enjoy the speeches he gave to the teams. I had tears in his last home game against Tampa while being carried off the field. At least he got a ring.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
BY was a better player but the talent around him was not so good.
Too early to tell. Right now BY, but if Justin keeps having years like he had last year, he may over take him.

Stay tuned.
Justin Smith will have the better numbers when his career is done
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Too early to tell. Right now BY, but if Justin keeps having years like he had last year, he may over take him.

Stay tuned.

this..............
Originally posted by susweel:

wtf? he played on some great d's, 94 team, 95 # 1 rated, 97 # 1 rated, he was downright dominant but had great teammates, 1 year i think the entire line got over 10 sacks each, doleman, stubby, by and barker, and if they didnt by was the one who didnt get to 10
[ Edited by crabman82 on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:

It was...actually quite good for most of his career.
BY because he was a monster from day 1. Took Smith a while, but then again he was also misused as a 4-3 d-end. Still consider him on the Mt. Rushmore so to speak of all time niner defenders along with BY, Lott, and Willis though.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Justin Smith is a better player... period

Bryant Young was a good player, one of my first favorite niners but Justin Smith is just better.

Originally posted by andes14:
BY because he was a monster from day 1. Took Smith a while, but then again he was also misused as a 4-3 d-end. Still consider him on the Mt. Rushmore so to speak of all time niner defenders along with BY, Lott, and Willis though.

BYs rookie year 6 sacks 45 tackles
Justin 8.5 sacks 41 tackles 2 INTs,

Again you prove that you dont know what you are talking about
memories fade as time passes, justin smith is great, non stop motor, lunch pail type of player, fantastic and have no qualms about his game, bryant young in his prime was downright unblockable and slightly a better player than justin smith
BY has a ring.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Justin Smith is a better player... period

Bryant Young was a good player, one of my first favorite niners but Justin Smith is just better.

I agree. And it looks like the stats bear that out.

With three fewer years, Smith is already ahead in several categories. With even 3 more average years, Smith will surpass BY in every relevant statistic.

People just have a hard time admitting somebody is better than an "all-time great" even if the stats are there.
BY and its not that close
Share 49ersWebzone