There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Originally posted by cciowa:
thank you jake,, i agree with you and susweet in regards to grant, would like to keep him but i am sure he will get some money and he knows he has no change to start with the crew in front of him

I'll double check but I thought Grant was a Restricted Free Agent. If so I believe the Niners can tender him a contract offer (I would think a 3rd round would do it). If someone else signed him the Niners get their 3rd round pick as compensation. If not the Niners keep him.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
An OL's worst nightmare
Originally posted by Mookster:
thank you jake,, i agree with you and susweet in regards to grant, would like to keep him but i am sure he will get some money and he knows he has no change to start with the crew in front of him

I'll double check but I thought Grant was a Restricted Free Agent. If so I believe the Niners can tender him a contract offer (I would think a 3rd round would do it). If someone else signed him the Niners get their 3rd round pick as compensation. If not the Niners keep him.

I know Haralson hasn't lived up to the contract he got after his 7 sack season but he is solid. He is a nasty player and not a bad 3rd OLB. If we resign Grant, that is a great core group of 6 linebackers. I would dare say best in the league (2 all Pros, Shouldhave been DROY, and Brooks)
The real "Speed Limit 55"

i think you can only put a 1st, 2nd, or 7th tender on RFAs

sucks bc a 7th is way too low but 2nd may be too high. Im hoping maybe someone like Philly (has a need at ILB and 2 2nd rd picks) will be willing to give a 2nd for grant
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

i think you can only put a 1st, 2nd, or 7th tender on RFAs

sucks bc a 7th is way too low but 2nd may be too high. Im hoping maybe someone like Philly (has a need at ILB and 2 2nd rd picks) will be willing to give a 2nd for grant

That would be ideal, getting a 2nd rounder for him would be very nice
Originally posted by andes14:
Honestly, it's not even gonna be easy to list guys with a lot of you because the CORE problem at hand is you guys are overrating Brooks. He is not a star, but you guys think he is one. Hell on our defense alone, it'd hurt more to lose J. Smith, A. Smith, Willis, Bowman, Rogers, Goldson, and even McDonald, Sopoaga, and T. Brown are debatable. But I bet most of you think Brooks is a top-5 OLB in the entire NFL or something, so unless I say someone who is super elite, you will just say that Brooks is better anyways.
He's not a star. He's a guy who does everything very well. That's something not as easily replaceable as you might think. He's not Aldon, he'll never have huge sack totals, but that's not the player we need him to be. He's not a star, but he's under rated because of the talent around him. This defense would be losing a lot if he left.
  • buck
  • Veteran

There is no third round tender. I pretty sure you can have a first round tender, a second round tender, and original pick tender.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am glad that we signed Brooks. He was the player that I did not think we would be able to keep.

A six year contact that is worth a maximum of 44.5M and that has only 17.5 million guaranteed does not seem unreasonable.

He is guaranteed less than 3 million a year.

If the actual life of the contract is five years, Brooks gets 3.1 million a year guaranteed. In my opinion, that is not a high salary for a starting 3-4 OLB.

If he earns the incentives, good for him and better for the team.

Now I know why Aldon Smith runs back to the bench after he gets a sack, because if he doesn't he barely gets any room on the bench.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

Now I know why Aldon Smith runs back to the bench after he gets a sack, because if he doesn't he barely gets any room on the bench.

This is true
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You said "passing downs." We are in our Nickel Defense for "passing downs" (its our defense when we expect teams to pass), which is a 4 man front. In the Nickel, both Aldon and Brooks are regular rushers. So, Brooks will rush just as frequently on passing downs. And you are incorrect that Haralson barely rushed on base downs. Watch the games again. He didn't rush quite as often as Brooks, but it was much closer than you think (stating he wasn't around the QB often doesn't mean he wasn't sent; it means he didn't get there). When Aldon was in on base downs (blowout, late season, and Haralson hurt), he still dropped several times a game. The reason why Baalke explicitly stated that the primary requirement for 3-4 OLBs is pass rushing, is that a 3-4 disguises where the 4th rusher comes from, so you must be equally dangerous as a defense sending either OLB. That's why Pittsburg keeps two expensive OLBs and drafts for the next one every year. They do that 3-4 pretty well over there.

Oops, ya my bad. Should have said downs or plays in general, not passing downs. Also, Pittsburgh often rushes 5 and 6 guys so having two outside 'backers that can rush well is more important. It's not as important for us because we rarely rush more than 4. And since our d-line is better than Pit's, we can get away with it.

Their DLine used to be every bit as good as ours though with Keisel, Hampton, and Smith. They had 3 very good starters. I mean come on man, Fangio used to blitz a lot more, one of the reasons he didn't this year is because of limited offseason time that prevented them from getting into the entire play book.

I don't care, I hope we don't blitz much next year either. Our defense was LEGENDARY and if mostly what we did was rush 4 and drop 7, then that's what I hope and expect we do in 2012.

lol So you think that other team's won't look at film of this year's D and exploit our tendencies and holes? You really think doing the same exact thing is going to work as well in 2012? It's probably not dude, plus guys can get injured and/or slow down a bit and lose a step. Not to mention if Aldon wants to be a starter he's going to have to learn how to drop back a bit and play the run consistently well, otherwise he is going to stick in that role as a 3rd down pass rusher. He was drafted to become that and that's what makes the 3-4 D effective because you can bring or drop either OLB, cover different areas of the field, have your ILBs blitz too, or whatever. Otherwise you might as well play a 4-3.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Do a little research on him and maybe rewatch some games.

He's very gifted physically, has the size, strength and speed to play the position--which is hard to find--and contributed alot to the defense this year. He may have played as many snaps as Justin Smith. Stats don't tell the whole story. He and RayMac on one side, with the Smiths on the other side caused nightmares for offenses on passing downs this year.

He's worth every nickel, IMHO. Completely understandable that he'd be a priority to resign, moreso than Rogers or Goldson. IMHO.
Mine too...

Brooks is a stud.....and I agree with those who state that his best football is yet to come. IMHO, he has several Pro Bowls in him, especially in Fangio's defense.

This was a vital move for the team at this time with so little depth at the position...and it gives the team much more flexibility in the draft

Nice.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Do a little research on him and maybe rewatch some games.

He's very gifted physically, has the size, strength and speed to play the position--which is hard to find--and contributed alot to the defense this year. He may have played as many snaps as Justin Smith. Stats don't tell the whole story. He and RayMac on one side, with the Smiths on the other side caused nightmares for offenses on passing downs this year.

He's worth every nickel, IMHO. Completely understandable that he'd be a priority to resign, moreso than Rogers or Goldson. IMHO.
Mine too...

Brooks is a stud.....and I agree with those who state that his best football is yet to come. IMHO, he has several Pro Bowls in him, especially in Fangio's defense.

This was a vital move for the team at this time with so little depth at the position...and it gives the team much more flexibility in the draft

Nice.

I agree completely.

I good pass rush always benefits the DB's.

Now Lets get Rogers a deal done and tag Goldson! Keeping this D together!
oops
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:34 AM ]