LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by elguapo:
So this means that more than likely we will not have enough money to resign bowman in a few years or extend him? There is little to no way we can pay all 4 backers that much money unless we let a player like gore go or Rogers if we resign him for 6-7 a year. The steelers are in this situation now. Hopefully Alex and Rogers take a pretty discounted contract bc I would love to keep our d together

Problem with Steelers is they are in deep cap hell. We aren't, we are set up nicely for future years. Bowman will get extended in 2013 before he is up after 2013. By 2013 most of Willis' bonus money is gone, his remaining signing bonus is in 2012.

Yes it is hard to keep the team intact, but I dont think it will be hard in 2013 and beyond, it's 2012, and trying to fit them under the cap. As of now we have around 88M committed for 2013, before Brooks and Spillman. It wont be as bad as 2012, we should have 40M+ to spend, less if we do keep our core together, and get a top notch WR.

I'm not concerned about future, it's just this year. So many FAs we need to retain, Brooks and Spillman are done, now it's Rogers and Goldson. Alex, Costanzo and Morgan will come. Imagine if Braylon hadn't busted and played great, we wouldn't be able to keep him.

AB, it sure looks like these big contracts are friendly to the cap in the long run. If that Paarag, then hats off to him. This FO knows NFL contracts and their cycles. It seems we've been doing well for the past few years under the cap. I find it amazing that Brooks, who could find more $$ elsewhere, decided to stay for the love of this team.

If we get Rogers to think like that, then he will sign at a very reasonable rate. He does deserve it, too. I just see Goldson being franchised to save mula. For this year.
Sort of reminds me of the Ray Mac deal last year. Seemed like a lot of money but both guys are underrated on this defense and it will be good to have the whole front 7 back since it's young and the best in football.

I think this means Carlos will likely not be a niner next year...dont be surprised if we tradeback at the end of the 1st or stay there and take a guy like Minnifield.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by elguapo:
So this means that more than likely we will not have enough money to resign bowman in a few years or extend him? There is little to no way we can pay all 4 backers that much money unless we let a player like gore go or Rogers if we resign him for 6-7 a year. The steelers are in this situation now. Hopefully Alex and Rogers take a pretty discounted contract bc I would love to keep our d together

Problem with Steelers is they are in deep cap hell. We aren't, we are set up nicely for future years. Bowman will get extended in 2013 before he is up after 2013. By 2013 most of Willis' bonus money is gone, his remaining signing bonus is in 2012.

Yes it is hard to keep the team intact, but I dont think it will be hard in 2013 and beyond, it's 2012, and trying to fit them under the cap. As of now we have around 88M committed for 2013, before Brooks and Spillman. It wont be as bad as 2012, we should have 40M+ to spend, less if we do keep our core together, and get a top notch WR.

I'm not concerned about future, it's just this year. So many FAs we need to retain, Brooks and Spillman are done, now it's Rogers and Goldson. Alex, Costanzo and Morgan will come. Imagine if Braylon hadn't busted and played great, we wouldn't be able to keep him.

AB, it sure looks like these big contracts are friendly to the cap in the long run. If that Paarag, then hats off to him. This FO knows NFL contracts and their cycles. It seems we've been doing well for the past few years under the cap. I find it amazing that Brooks, who could find more $$ elsewhere, decided to stay for the love of this team.

If we get Rogers to think like that, then he will sign at a very reasonable rate. He does deserve it, too. I just see Goldson being franchised to save mula. For this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/59783/ahmad-brooks-this-is-where-i-should-be

Looks like former 49er coaches doubted him, sounds like maybe Manusky, Singletary, etc...

And yeah Baalke, Marathe and the entire FO are doing a great job unlike previous regimes, McCloughan and need I remind everyone of Donahue.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Dude, if you were discussing Siri with someone random on a message board, and they claimed they knew way more about the business of that software than you, you wouldn't point out that that business is your CAREER and that because of that, making that statement seems absurd?? Really???

No, you destroy they're argument with solid facts that you should have if you are the programmer of Siri. There is plenty of facts you could bring up that would prove your knowledge and piont. For him it would very easy to make the random person wrong.

There's not "facts" per se here. It's him thinking he's not overpaid whereas I think he is. But to say I don't understand the business is ludicrous. Ok, here's a fact for you - a ton of guys around the league have done more than Brooks in their careers and yet have contracts paying them a lot less.

AND ACTUAL POINT!! YEAH!!!! There you go. NOW...PLEASE site an example. Gimme a guy signed RECENTLY who is clearly paid LESS for the same performance.

Honestly, it's not even gonna be easy to list guys with a lot of you because the CORE problem at hand is you guys are overrating Brooks. He is not a star, but you guys think he is one. Hell on our defense alone, it'd hurt more to lose J. Smith, A. Smith, Willis, Bowman, Rogers, Goldson, and even McDonald, Sopoaga, and T. Brown are debatable. But I bet most of you think Brooks is a top-5 OLB in the entire NFL or something, so unless I say someone who is super elite, you will just say that Brooks is better anyways.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
KamerIon Wimbley
5 year 48 mil 29 guarenteed
Chad Greenway
5 year 41 mil 21 guarenteed
Karlos Dansby (2010)
5 year 43 mil 22 guarenteed

Is Brooks better then these men?

i'd take him over those 3

dansby plays inside, hes not a comparable in my mind and the other 2 are 4-3 lbs i do think greenway is overrated though
Good, so the opponent will know exactly who is rushing on each down and who they have to worry about being effective. Take away the rushing threat from other OLB and all you have done is created an unbalanced defensive front easy to counter. Ala why Lawson is gone.

It was like this on early downs last year too (Haralson didn't rush much, Brooks did) and our D did OK.
Sad to say but I think Rogersw is gone as well. I just don't see the Niners giving him the $$$$ he is looking for.

And this is the problem. I would way rather re-sign Rogers than Brooks since, like I said, with Aldon starting at ROLB, the LOLB is gonna be in coverage a lot and thus awfully replaceable.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
What was Brooks' "character" issue that hurt his draft stock out of college? Sounds like we may have a couple of boozers for outside linebackers. Bet they get the really old single malt Scotch. I knew there was a reason Aldon Smith looked so natural weaving around on those looping stunts.

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
KamerIon Wimbley
5 year 48 mil 29 guarenteed
Chad Greenway
5 year 41 mil 21 guarenteed
Karlos Dansby (2010)
5 year 43 mil 22 guarenteed

Is Brooks better then these men?

i'd take him over those 3

dansby plays inside, hes not a comparable in my mind and the other 2 are 4-3 lbs i do think greenway is overrated though

Dansby played outside before he signed that deal with Miami
Sad to say but I think Rogersw is gone as well. I just don't see the Niners giving him the $$$$ he is looking for.

And this is the problem. I would way rather re-sign Rogers than Brooks since, like I said, with Aldon starting at ROLB, the LOLB is gonna be in coverage a lot and thus awfully replaceable.
Dude, why are you arguing this so hard? There is no way you have a more educated opinion about the team than Baalke and Co. I'm not saying that every once in a while we can't be right while the team was wrong, but consider it dumb luck. Every angle you are thinking of has been thought by the front office 10 times over.

Good, so the opponent will know exactly who is rushing on each down and who they have to worry about being effective. Take away the rushing threat from other OLB and all you have done is created an unbalanced defensive front easy to counter. Ala why Lawson is gone.

It was like this on early downs last year too (Haralson didn't rush much, Brooks did) and our D did OK.

yup, and 3rd down is the same as 1st and 2nd . Even IF you know contracts, you don't know defense if you believe this.
Dude, if you were discussing Siri with someone random on a message board, and they claimed they knew way more about the business of that software than you, you wouldn't point out that that business is your CAREER and that because of that, making that statement seems absurd?? Really???

No, you destroy they're argument with solid facts that you should have if you are the programmer of Siri. There is plenty of facts you could bring up that would prove your knowledge and piont. For him it would very easy to make the random person wrong.

There's not "facts" per se here. It's him thinking he's not overpaid whereas I think he is. But to say I don't understand the business is ludicrous. Ok, here's a fact for you - a ton of guys around the league have done more than Brooks in their careers and yet have contracts paying them a lot less.

AND ACTUAL POINT!! YEAH!!!! There you go. NOW...PLEASE site an example. Gimme a guy signed RECENTLY who is clearly paid LESS for the same performance.

Honestly, it's not even gonna be easy to list guys with a lot of you because the CORE problem at hand is you guys are overrating Brooks. He is not a star, but you guys think he is one. Hell on our defense alone, it'd hurt more to lose J. Smith, A. Smith, Willis, Bowman, Rogers, Goldson, and even McDonald, Sopoaga, and T. Brown are debatable. But I bet most of you think Brooks is a top-5 OLB in the entire NFL or something, so unless I say someone who is super elite, you will just say that Brooks is better anyways.

I think you are underrating Brooks my man.

We have the best front 7 in the league with Brooks, not despite Brooks.

If we let Brooks walks with no backup plan and we insert an outside variable, that could collapse. 3-4 OLB with his skills sets are not easy to find. Before brooks and Aldon we were struggling big time. And Aldon isn't even a pure 3-4 olb yet, more like a Hybrid DE/OLB for now.

Who would replace Brooks if we let him go?

Our FO didn't let that happen and i'm glad.
Originally posted by susweel:
Nice

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/59783/ahmad-brooks-this-is-where-i-should-be

Looks like former 49er coaches doubted him, sounds like maybe Manusky, Singletary, etc...

And yeah Baalke, Marathe and the entire FO are doing a great job unlike previous regimes, McCloughan and need I remind everyone of Donahue.

I read that part too. Seems like the previous staff was all about not making mistakes. The whole team end up play tight, not to lose football. Ended up losing. They were afraid to give guys a chance on the field even though they may have the physical ability to play at a high level. Fangio has enough balls and experience to let guys make a few mistakes here and there in return for their efforts on the field. This is evident by him putting guys who were backups -- Ray McDonald, Brooks, Haralson, Bowman, even young guys in the secondary like Brown and Culliver instead of Spencer.

So many players have said the same thing when asked about the difference from previous years. They now played loose, without thinking about making mistakes.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not to mention that Juan Gonzalez, Garrett Anderson, Jeff Bagwell, and Carlos Delgado were better baseball players than Derek Jeter. I still laugh at those comments.

You are way too influenced by his playing in a huge market and on a team that has won a lot. If you put Delgado in NY all those years and give him those rings and let Jeter toil away in Toronto all those years, let's see if you have the same opinion. Juan Gon, Bagwell, Delgado all swung the bat way better and put up better #'s. And #'s are 99% of baseball. But stop hijacking threads.
Share 49ersWebzone