LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by andes14:
Orrrrrr, you could not be all condescending and give someone the benefit of the doubt that they're not someone who does b***hwork. Lol, what do I gotta do, e-mail you spreadsheets that I've done? Contracts that I've analyzed, broken down, and summarized? Reports I've put together for preparations for negotiations? Letters I've edited for clients pointing out key aspects of their contract? Good lord, I'm not trying to say I'm Drew Rosenhaus or someone super accomplished in the field, just that random message board users shouldn't blindly claim that they have more knowledge in the business than someone they don't know or have met.

And I feel so many are in support of this deal just because Baalke's a great GM and deservedly won Exec of the Year. I love Baalke. Doesn't mean I can't even make my own opinion and analysis on a move he does that causes me to raise an eyebrow. Like I said, many of you (myself included) were pissed about the Harbaugh FG debacle vs. Dallas. That doesn't mean you think you're a better coach than him, just that you disagree with that particular decision.

Brooks is the 6th-7th best player on our D at BEST. He is a good player, a solid player. He at this point is NOT a star (though clearly this contract indicates we anticipate him to be), and I personally believe that only established stars warrant north of $17M guaranteed, If you look around the league, there are tons of guys that have done more than Brooks that are making a lot less.

I dont want or need you to do any of the bolded, but I don't need somebody to tell me their smart, I don't need somebody to tell me there not drunk, I don't need somebody to tell me their well hung, I don't need to be told. For all but the last one, I have no doubt that if you are what you think you are, we will know by your logic and your knowledge that you know what you are talking about.

I would rather you told me you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night . Spend less time trying to prove your status and just show it. There is no doubt that you are young and this is a good lesson to learn now. Nobody is ever going to concede an arguement just because some unsubstantiated claim of expertise is made on the internet (or anywhere). All that was accomplished was the topic was changed from substance to you, and no matter what you do now you will have some doubt to your name.

EDIT: I'd prefer somebody didn't prove to me they were well hung lol.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by crabman82:
not even if u get an agent coffee and clean the cookie crumbs off his desk?

Why do you just assume what I do is insignifican? It's completely impossible that I've done legitimate work?

Sorry dude, you're not going to convince anyone here that you do legitimate work as an assistant. And this is from someone who's gone farther than you doing the same thing. No one's going to listen to a thing you have to say until you're a franchised agent, end of story.

First of all, how the hell would you know how far I've gone and how that compares to your career?? How could you POSSIBLY know? You don't know me! LMAO.

This should provide a bit of legitimacy to what I do. Last draft, there were these silver medallions at each table in the green room and my boss gave it to me.

Pretty cool. I'm happy for you.

So....tell me how that gives you any more insight than any of us about what is or is not overpayed?

You still haven't given me any examples. I really don't care where you work, I just refuse to accept that simply working somewhere somehow gives you better knowledge than any of the rest of us. If you could provide any insight that made any sense, then I'd be more inclined to put any merit into your opinion.

Dude, if you were discussing Siri with someone random on a message board, and they claimed they knew way more about the business of that software than you, you wouldn't point out that that business is your CAREER and that because of that, making that statement seems absurd?? Really???

LOL!

They would probably be right. ;-) I work here, but know very little about the product because it ain't my job to know about it. Working here does give me more knowledge than Joe Schmoe on the street (like say for example the fact that Apple doesn't advertise that my company is the engine behind Siri...they are kinda weird that way), but someone who spends every single day reading about and posting about Siri could very well know more about it than I do.

What I'm trying to say is that you working for an Agent would give you more insight than say...my mother, but that don't mean squat when you are talking with people who are in here every single day talking about this stuff and are truly invested i the team.

We don't know all (not even close) and lord knows we get stuff wrong, but don't come at me like you automatically know more about this because you work for an agent. Thats weak sauce.

Uh, so I'm not truly invested in the team?

And, YOU'RE the one that brought up the claim that you and everyone else knew more about the business than me just because I said that IMO, he didn't warrant that big of a contract. YOU did the coming at ME, not vice versa. I just defended myself with saying I get a little bit better of an up close and personal view as to how contracts are structured and the types of contracts particular types of players around the league receive. I've actually gone through ACTUAL NFL contracts and read through each of the several, several pages word for word. Have you? Has anyone on this forum? MAYBE, but certainly not many. I do have a unique experience, and I wouldn't talk down to you in subjects where you have unique experience.
[ Edited by andes14 on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM ]
Dude, if you were discussing Siri with someone random on a message board, and they claimed they knew way more about the business of that software than you, you wouldn't point out that that business is your CAREER and that because of that, making that statement seems absurd?? Really???

No, you destroy they're argument with solid facts that you should have if you are the programmer of Siri. There is plenty of facts you could bring up that would prove your knowledge and piont. For him it would very easy to make the random person wrong.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I am pleased. Solid player. A replacement would have cost the same. He knows the system and is talented.

I agree, this is a guy with almost unlimited ceiling.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

No, you destroy they're argument with solid facts that you should have if you are the programmer of Siri. There is plenty of facts you could bring up that would prove your knowledge and piont. For him it would very easy to make the random person wrong.

There's not "facts" per se here. It's him thinking he's not overpaid whereas I think he is. But to say I don't understand the business is ludicrous. Ok, here's a fact for you - a ton of guys around the league have done more than Brooks in their careers and yet have contracts paying them a lot less.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Fellas, fellas, I don't care where you work, what you program, or what you do when nobody is looking. Let's not turning this wonderful news into an elaborate pissing match. Eh? Respect fellas, we need respect around here.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fropwns:
Fellas, fellas, I don't care where you work, what you program, or what you do when nobody is looking. Let's not turning this wonderful news into an elaborate pissing match. Eh? Respect fellas, we need respect around here.

Get bent.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by crabman82:
not even if u get an agent coffee and clean the cookie crumbs off his desk?

Why do you just assume what I do is insignifican? It's completely impossible that I've done legitimate work?

Sorry dude, you're not going to convince anyone here that you do legitimate work as an assistant. And this is from someone who's gone farther than you doing the same thing. No one's going to listen to a thing you have to say until you're a franchised agent, end of story.

First of all, how the hell would you know how far I've gone and how that compares to your career?? How could you POSSIBLY know? You don't know me! LMAO.

This should provide a bit of legitimacy to what I do. Last draft, there were these silver medallions at each table in the green room and my boss gave it to me.

Pretty cool. I'm happy for you.

So....tell me how that gives you any more insight than any of us about what is or is not overpayed?

You still haven't given me any examples. I really don't care where you work, I just refuse to accept that simply working somewhere somehow gives you better knowledge than any of the rest of us. If you could provide any insight that made any sense, then I'd be more inclined to put any merit into your opinion.

LOL!

They would probably be right. ;-) I work here, but know very little about the product because it ain't my job to know about it. Working here does give me more knowledge than Joe Schmoe on the street (like say for example the fact that Apple doesn't advertise that my company is the engine behind Siri...they are kinda weird that way), but someone who spends every single day reading about and posting about Siri could very well know more about it than I do.

What I'm trying to say is that you working for an Agent would give you more insight than say...my mother, but that don't mean squat when you are talking with people who are in here every single day talking about this stuff and are truly invested i the team.

We don't know all (not even close) and lord knows we get stuff wrong, but don't come at me like you automatically know more about this because you work for an agent. Thats weak sauce.

Uh, so I'm not truly invested in the team?

And, YOU'RE the one that brought up the claim that you and everyone else knew more about the business than me just because I said that IMO, he didn't warrant that big of a contract. YOU did the coming at ME, not vice versa. I just defended myself with saying I get a little bit better of an up close and personal view as to how contracts are structured and the types of contracts particular types of players around the league receive. I've actually gone through ACTUAL NFL contracts and read through each of the several, several pages word for word. Have you? Has anyone on this forum? MAYBE, but certainly not many. I do have a unique experience, and I wouldn't talk down to you in subjects where you have unique experience.

OMG.

Amazing. Miss the point much? Wow.

Dude. Please read. I'll try small words.

Don't care where work. Not saying not fan. Don't care what contracts you see. Stop side step question. Explain why overpaid.

Simple enough?
Originally posted by fropwns:

"I'm your Huckleberry".
An important point people are glossing over:

I hope people realize that on 1st and 2nd down, Brooks isn't even gonna be rushing the passer all that much. Aldon will be an every down player, and he will be doing most of the early down pass rushing, meaning Brooks will oftentimes be in coverage as Fangio rarely brings 5 or more rushers. If we did let Brooks walk, all we'd really need to go a long ways in replacing him would have been just a good coverage/set the edge LB, a la even our good friend Manny Lawson.

There's not "facts" per se here. It's him thinking he's not overpaid whereas I think he is. But to say I don't understand the business is ludicrous. Ok, here's a fact for you - a ton of guys around the league have done more than Brooks in their careers and yet have contracts paying them a lot less.

There is facts, you should probably know who the top 5 in the position are paid, you should probably know, exactly what his market value is. How about give the stats of a player who is payed comparably at his position. Cmon man, I should not be telling you this....

You should be able to tell me where he is relatively ranked in the nfl what part of his career is in, what is his presumed upside. You should have the contracts of all players and atleast organized by position and by amount. An agent sets his players value by juxtaposing him to his peers. There is nothing but facts that should be used in negotiating his value.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM ]

AND ACTUAL POINT!! YEAH!!!! There you go. NOW...PLEASE site an example. Gimme a guy signed RECENTLY who is clearly paid LESS for the same performance.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I agree, this is a guy with almost unlimited ceiling.
wow, a statement about the actual topic at hand four great linebackers plus a solid back up. i was afraid we would have to spend a first or a second rounder on a pass rusher. i think grant will go and i am pretty sure we can find a free agent or a fifth rounder to take his place. guess we can thank either nolan or sing for brooks, even a broken clock is right twice a day
OMG.

Amazing. Miss the point much? Wow.

Dude. Please read. I'll try small words.

Don't care where work. Not saying not fan. Don't care what contracts you see. Stop side step question. Explain why overpaid.

Simple enough?

I've explained so many times. Here is why he is overpaid:

Brooks is the 6th-7th best player on our D at BEST. He is a good player, a solid player. He at this point is NOT a STAR (though clearly this contract indicates we anticipate him to be), and I personally believe that only established stars warrant north of $17M guaranteed, If you look around the league, there are tons of guys that have done more than Brooks that are making a lot less. Guys that have signed new contracts AFTER doing a lot more than Brooks (so I'm not even talking about guys underpaid on a rookie contract or something who are gonna get their money on a contract in the future).

Also, I feel so many are in support of this deal just because Baalke's a great GM and deservedly won Exec of the Year. I love Baalke. Doesn't mean I can't even make my own opinion and analysis on a move he does that causes me to raise an eyebrow. Like I said, many of you (myself included) were pissed about the Harbaugh FG debacle vs. Dallas. That doesn't mean you think you're a better coach than him, just that you disagree with that particular decision. If you love Obama but disagree with one particular policy, it doesn't mean you're claiming to be a smarter politician. People seem to be afraid to acknowledge that this deal is anything other than wonderful, just because they are fans of Baalke.
[ Edited by andes14 on Feb 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM ]
An important point people are glossing over:

I hope people realize that on 1st and 2nd down, Brooks isn't even gonna be rushing the passer all that much. Aldon will be an every down player, and he will be doing most of the early down pass rushing, meaning Brooks will oftentimes be in coverage as Fangio rarely brings 5 or more rushers. If we did let Brooks walk, all we'd really need to go a long ways in replacing him would have been just a good coverage/set the edge LB, a la even our good friend Manny Lawson.

Good, so the opponent will know exactly who is rushing on each down and who they have to worry about being effective. Take away the rushing threat from other OLB and all you have done is created an unbalanced defensive front easy to counter. Ala why Lawson is gone.
Share 49ersWebzone