There are 222 users in the forums

The Top-five most important FAs (G.Cohn)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by miked1978:
People underestimate the value of Ginn. If he wasnt injured we are probably Super Bowl champs. Let that sink in for a moment.

It was just a couple years ago we all were b***hing and gnashing out teeth because we had no return guy. We finally get one and now the majority don't care if he comes back.

100% agreement, Beastie Boy
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Originally posted by miked1978:
People underestimate the value of Ginn. If he wasnt injured we are probably Super Bowl champs. Let that sink in for a moment.

It was just a couple years ago we all were b***hing and gnashing out teeth because we had no return guy. We finally get one and now the majority don't care if he comes back.

100% agreement, Beastie Boy

i agree

but he isnt a top 5 Fa need

he is a great return man but mediocore WR

getting avdecent KR/PR is pretty easy therefore isnt a top need (i understanf he is top 3-4 return man in nfl)
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Smith
Goldson
Rogers
Ginn
Snyder

This
No way Goldson is below 2, he's an elite safety and safeties on Goldson's level are hard to find
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Alex smith is a good player and improved last year but Rogers is a better cb than Alex is a qb. Alex smith is easier to replace than Rogers and I like it that brooks is further down that list. An olb that gets what 7 sacks shouldn't be a major priority than a pro bowl cb a pro bowl safety and a above average to good qb.

Wrong. There are quite a few FA CBs that are as good as Rogers or very close to it. There are not ANY FA QBs that are even close to Alex Smith.

If placed in a suitable system, Matt Flynn will probably end up being better than Alex. The only thing Alex does really well is not take chances, which results in less turnovers, but less big plays as well.

While Alex did a good job, he is not irreplaceable. I'm confident Jim Harbaugh can find someone to do exactly what Alex does if he has to and I think he feels the same. Alex and Harbaugh are clearly buddies and I don't see Alex going anywhere, but let's not act like we can't find a replacement if he wanted to bounce.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I really like this point. If tagged, that's 10.6. It's a lot. No doubt BUT we were already in the ballpark for Goldson at 5 for 25 and if we FT him, it would be 6.2. So his LT contract should be in the ballpark of 5-6 a year. No bad. Then Brooks. If tagged, that's 8.8. Too much unless he plays the WILL, is proven, consistent and puts up double-digits every year to the point that all offenses have to account for him on every play. But that's the sealing. Brooks plays the SAM position which is the blue collar LB of the 3-4. And for SAM's, I would think the average pay would be closer to the 5-6 million range as well.

PLUS, FT Rogers gives us the opportunity to see if him slowing down late last season was d/t to age...to see if he was a one-hit wonder and a product of an amazing front 7 and gives us another year to prep Culliver/Brock or another.

I think we could even keep all of our FA's w/o using the FT (like Baalke alluded too). This FO are masters of signing players early and to very reasonable contracts!

Thanks NC--it would be great to keep the defense intact. I trust Baalke after last year and hope his voodoo is working again!
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Alex smith is a good player and improved last year but Rogers is a better cb than Alex is a qb. Alex smith is easier to replace than Rogers and I like it that brooks is further down that list. An olb that gets what 7 sacks shouldn't be a major priority than a pro bowl cb a pro bowl safety and a above average to good qb.

Wrong. There are quite a few FA CBs that are as good as Rogers or very close to it. There are not ANY FA QBs that are even close to Alex Smith.

If placed in a suitable system, Matt Flynn will probably end up being better than Alex. The only thing Alex does really well is not take chances, which results in less turnovers, but less big plays as well.

While Alex did a good job, he is not irreplaceable. I'm confident Jim Harbaugh can find someone to do exactly what Alex does if he has to and I think he feels the same. Alex and Harbaugh are clearly buddies and I don't see Alex going anywhere, but let's not act like we can't find a replacement if he wanted to bounce.

I agree that he's replaceable if we need to do so, but at the same time he has upside for us that he doesn't have anywhere else. It benefits both parties to try to build off of what he did last year. He gets high priority because it's always risky going to someone else.

Flynn seems good but he's also barely started a couple games, we saw how much Kolb struggled and that was with a ton more experience than flynn.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I really like this point. If tagged, that's 10.6. It's a lot. No doubt BUT we were already in the ballpark for Goldson at 5 for 25 and if we FT him, it would be 6.2. So his LT contract should be in the ballpark of 5-6 a year. No bad. Then Brooks. If tagged, that's 8.8. Too much unless he plays the WILL, is proven, consistent and puts up double-digits every year to the point that all offenses have to account for him on every play. But that's the sealing. Brooks plays the SAM position which is the blue collar LB of the 3-4. And for SAM's, I would think the average pay would be closer to the 5-6 million range as well.

PLUS, FT Rogers gives us the opportunity to see if him slowing down late last season was d/t to age...to see if he was a one-hit wonder and a product of an amazing front 7 and gives us another year to prep Culliver/Brock or another.

I think we could even keep all of our FA's w/o using the FT (like Baalke alluded too). This FO are masters of signing players early and to very reasonable contracts!

Thanks NC--it would be great to keep the defense intact. I trust Baalke after last year and hope his voodoo is working again!
Yeah that's how I feel too, after Baalke found guys like Rogers out of nowhere I trust that even if someone leaves our scouting is solid enough we can just grab another guy who falls through the cracks. Our D will be strong for years.
I see no reason for "our guys" to be resigned this year with enough room to grab a FA WR and deal with rookies.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Smith
Goldson
Rogers
Ginn
Snyder

This
No way Goldson is below 2, he's an elite safety and safeties on Goldson's level are hard to find

Yes. But I don't know why people on the WZ can't see this. Before Goldson for years we had Safetys who couldn't cover, couldn't tackle and never made an interception. Now we have Goldson and the WZers think he is worthless and easily replaceable.....
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Smith
Goldson
Rogers
Ginn
Snyder

This

Yes. But I don't know why people on the WZ can't see this. Before Goldson for years we had Safetys who couldn't cover, couldn't tackle and never made an interception. Now we have Goldson and the WZers think he is worthless and easily replaceable.....
They probably want Taylor Mays back too.

• dj43

Over the past month I have read a couple of dozen posts that make the same claim but NONE of them, not a single one, has produced a name of a player who is available and could come in and duplicate what Alex Smith did this past season.
  • mike
  • Veteran

Over the past month I have read a couple of dozen posts that make the same claim but NONE of them, not a single one, has produced a name of a player who is available and could come in and duplicate what Alex Smith did this past season.

That depends on what percentage of alex's success you think had to do with harbaugh, and what percentage was just Alex suddenly being awesome lol. Because if Harbaugh can limit turnovers and set up a pretty efficient passing game with a guy who was 14 td- 10 int the previous season, who's to say he couldn't even do a similar job with someone as mediocre and inconstistent as Rex Grossman? A lot of the problems with both old-alex and Grossman were mental - making horrible decisions with the ball. Harbaugh fixes that.
Originally posted by mike:

That depends on what percentage of alex's success you think had to do with harbaugh, and what percentage was just Alex suddenly being awesome lol. Because if Harbaugh can limit turnovers and set up a pretty efficient passing game with a guy who was 14 td- 10 int the previous season, who's to say he couldn't even do a similar job with someone as mediocre and inconstistent as Rex Grossman? A lot of the problems with both old-alex and Grossman were mental - making horrible decisions with the ball. Harbaugh fixes that.

AS has better physical tools than Grossman though.
Originally posted by mike:

When small children were sitting in front of television sets accross america accurately predicting the play being run before the snap...yah, you throw more interceptions. When you look at the Johnson OC'd games to the end of this year the stats make Smith look pretty darn good. So Harbaugh was a big part of limiting mistakes but Smith had the ability all along. I agree with you, Mike, that many of the mistakes Smith made were mental and were likely caused by pressing too hard to make plays.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 25, 2012 at 6:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think Baalke meant to say we have offered contracts to all of our players, the numbers have not changed. The only player to accept our initial terms was Alex Boone. The rest we are millions of dollars a year apart, and we will not overpay for any player, any player I repeat.

The list is not of importance, the 9ers will not overpay for any player, every ball player is replaceable. (paraphrasing.) Baalke said NFL football is a business so they will be losing players.

So it comes down to what players love Harbaugh and company and the niners enought to sign before FA begins.

My answer

1. Alex Smith

No one else, they all will test FA with Rogers being the surprise Tag.

I really like this response...
I agree, that response is exactly what I think Baalke means. We are building a system.
Share 49ersWebzone