LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

The Top-five most important FAs (G.Cohn)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wow, I couldn't disagree anymore.

Alex Smith - duh.
Ahmad Brooks - front 7 trumps the back end and this is a very rare SAM commodity
Carlos Rogers - 31 years old with Culliver/Brock in-training all last year and I'm sure we'll draft another and target another low-budget but high-producer in FA (healthy product of the front 7)
Adam Snyder - was there any question that he not only solidified the line instantly but helped take us deep into the playoffs?
Dashon Goldson - We already have a SS in the exact same mold and his name is Donte Whitner - who is signed LT. For this defense, we need a player with speed, range, a sure-tackler and one who can cover TE's. Goldson is great in the box playing down hill and for big hits/highlights but that's about it. Nobody benefited more from the front 7 play than him (even over Rogers/Whitner and even Brown).

And all of the ST guys are critical and equal in my eyes in coverage and returns.

We are roughly in agreement.
Goldson is over-rated. Only average cover skills and his big hits do not make up for that. We still need a good cover safety.
Rogers I like but only for the right price. Good locker room guy.
Brooks is valuable but not if he wants to get paid like Suggs. Losing him at this point would change the dynamics of the upcoming draft.
Snyder was a LOT better than Rachal and the OL play was much improved when he was in, however, he got pushed back far too often in pass protection. He is a journeyman at best. The fact he was better than Rachal only points to the need for an upgrade.
Smith signed is a foregone conclusion. He will not demand a huge salary and to get a top 10 QB at the price he will accept is a bargain. He has the utmost respect from his teammates for all he has endured and what he did to get the team ready during the lockout. He will be back, no question about it.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Carlos Rogers
Dashon Goldson
Adam Snyder
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Smith

I KNEW that's how your list would look

LOL. Any list that has a CB over a starting QB is laughable.

Well, the author of the article has a CB over a a QB too. Dont see how a Pro Bowler being #1 on our list is laughable, but whatever. Its your opinion, which I respect. Just dont agree with.

And for the record, I never once said that I dont think Alex should/deserves to be resigned. I do.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM ]
Carlos Rogers
Dashon Goldson
Adam Snyder
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Smith

Well, the author of the article has a CB over a a QB too. Dont see how a Pro Bowler being #1 on our list is laughable, but whatever. Its your opinion, which I respect. Just dont agree with.

Its not laughable. These guys are from the Smith fan club.

Anything that even questionably puts smith down is laughable to them
FAIL.

He didn't list Ginn as a surely required #6. He's not a maybe guy. Did Cohn watch the NFC Championship game? Does he know why we lost? Do you think we will be 13 - 3 with Kyle Williams returning kicks all season long?.....
My list is more like this.

1) Alex - The young guys are not ready. And will lead to turnovers.

2) Goldson - Big dropoff without his interceptions and hits in the secondary. Franchise tag if need be.

3) Brooks - He's still young, improving pass rusher, holds the point vs. runs and I think tougher to replace than people think. Letting this guy walk is the wrong strategy IMO. He's underrated on the WZ.

4) Ginn - Did you watch the NFC Championship game?

5) Snyder - Have you seen Chilo play?

6) Rogers - A 31 year old CB should not receive a huge long term contract. He's on the downside. Having said that I want him back at a "reasonable" contract.

6 or 7) Premier FA WR. We may have to give up one to gain one. Probably losing Rogers to afford a WR. The roster always changes some. I don't think we keep every player we have. Probably if we don't keep Rogers.

Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Vincent Jackson, Mike Wallace.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM ]
This is one year I would NOT want to be the GM!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Smith lover? That's the first I've been called that one BUT, ask yourself one question and one question only. Where would we be without Alex last year? Then ask yourself where we would be without Rogers (not Rodgers - j/k)? I don't know if there is one single CB in the entire league who would be signed over their starting QB. Do you know what a QB does for a team? Laughable...
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2) Goldson - Big dropoff without his interceptions and hits in the secondary. Franchise tag if need be.

3) Brooks - He's still young, improving pass rusher, holds the point vs. runs and I think tougher to replace than people think. Letting this guy walk is the wrong strategy IMO. He's underrated on the WZ.

6) Rogers - A 31 year old CB should not receive a huge long term contract. He's on the downside. Having said that I want him back at a "reasonable" contract.

6 or 7) Premier FA WR. We may have to give up one to gain one. Probably losing Rogers to afford a WR. The roster always changes some. I don't think we keep every player we have. Probably if we don't keep Rogers.

I say Rogers is top two. Champ Baily is 2 years older and still playing at a high level. With CBs sometimes experience is just as good as speed. In order to maintain our high level of defense, he seems like someone that must be kept.
Originally posted by dwett:

I say Rogers is top two. Champ Baily is 2 years older and still playing at a high level. With CBs sometimes experience is just as good as speed. In order to maintain our high level of defense, he seems like someone that must be kept.

I'm fine if we can get him for the right price. Don't want him at 31 for $10 million a year. That's all.

I agree with the importance of Rogers. The main point is how easy are each one of those players to replace. And we have young CBs where Rogers' leadership would be vital.

Goldson will be very difficult to replace. Our scheme is all about the Safeties and their speed. Goldson can cover a lot of ground and has a lot of speed, size, and ability to dislodge the ball. Not sure why anyone doesn't consider him very valuable. He and Rodgers were tops in the league in INTs.

Alex Smith didn't have a high production year that would raise his value to implacable. The biggest factor of his importance being low is the fact that teams are NOT going to chase him if it comes down to money in Free Agency. He will be easy to sign.

Snyder is similar to Alex. They are solid but not difficult to find replacements or teams won't match prices.

Brooks: 3-4 strong side LB is not difficult to replace. Brooks has speed and explosion but his 1st and 2nd down responsibility can be replaced with Parys and we can draft a young talent to develop for 3rd downs only.

Originally posted by Joecool:

I agree with the importance of Rogers. The main point is how easy are each one of those players to replace. And we have young CBs where Rogers' leadership would be vital.

Goldson will be very difficult to replace. Our scheme is all about the Safeties and their speed. Goldson can cover a lot of ground and has a lot of speed, size, and ability to dislodge the ball. Not sure why anyone doesn't consider him very valuable. He and Rodgers were tops in the league in INTs.

Alex Smith didn't have a high production year that would raise his value to implacable. The biggest factor of his importance being low is the fact that teams are NOT going to chase him if it comes down to money in Free Agency. He will be easy to sign.

Snyder is similar to Alex. They are solid but not difficult to find replacements or teams won't match prices.

Brooks: 3-4 strong side LB is not difficult to replace. Brooks has speed and explosion but his 1st and 2nd down responsibility can be replaced with Parys and we can draft a young talent to develop for 3rd downs only.

Goldson is real difficult to replace. There is always the "most overrated on the WZ." And there is the "most underrated on the WZ." That's Goldson for now (most underrated). He's an interception machine, has size, pretty good speed, great anticipation (you can't teach this), dislodges the ball for incompletions and has huge hits.

I'm guessing that since he is a gambler he misses a few that result in big plays. And this is what some of the WZers are compaining about. But his gambling also leads to interceptions all over the field, broken up passes, dislodged balls, huge hits to force incompletions.

Honestly if people can't see the good outweighs the bad with Goldson by far I've lost my faith in the WZ and their ability to evalute players. Goldson is really good and will be a hot commodity. We have no backup on the roster that remotely comes close to his ability to read, anticipate, close lots of ground and make the huge play. I suspect they would only miss him when he is gone. Then they will realize what he was..... We went through a decade period of a horrific secondary and safetys too. So now we have a good one who is also still young. Why the WZers don't want to keep him I don't know? Did they see the previous almost decade?

This, he's #1 based on how the secondary transformed when he got placed into it IMO. We had two strong safeties, a rookie, and a small corner who was almost cut the year before... having Rogers and his ability to cover WR's with minimal safety help allowed the other guys to support eachother and made the entire back end better. We know he works in this system and there is a long track record of CB's who have played at a high level into their mid thirties. He doesnt seem like hes looking to get a huge contract just a long term one. And when we have an opportunity to lock up a DB who can play well without safety help, and lock down a guy like Cruz who torched every other defense... you pay the man his money.
  • dj43
"Old" CB play drops off if they have had leg injuries in their careers. In Rogers' case, he has been quite healthy during his career. Played all 16 games in three of the last 4 years (12 in 2010). In 2007 he only played in 7 games, otherwise he has been full duty. I don't see anything to make me unduly concerned about his durability. He should be good for at least 3 more seasons, if not more.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Carlos Rogers
Dashon Goldson
Adam Snyder
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Smith

Seriously? Alex smith is a good player and improved last year but Rogers is a better cb than Alex is a qb. Alex smith is easier to replace than Rogers and I like it that brooks is further down that list. An olb that gets what 7 sacks shouldn't be a major priority than a pro bowl cb a pro bowl safety and a above average to good qb.
smith
rogers
goldson
brooks
ginn

/ thread.
Share 49ersWebzone