LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

Can Demarcus Dobbs play OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Leave people at their positions!! I hate these threads! Hell next one will be "Can Alex Smith play outside linebacker?"

I think that it is funny how people think that it is such a stretch of the imagination to ask an DE to play OLB. Now think about that statement for a second and let it sink in a bit. A DE playing OLB in a 34 defense. I have read stupid statements comparing it to Alex playing OLB or Miller playing Tackle. REALLY!?! Dobbs is listed at 6'2" and 275 lbs. Haralson is listed at 6' and 255 lbs. Brooks is 6'3" and 259 lbs. I think that if he was able to shave off 15 to 20 lbs will put him right in their ball park. He has all off season to lose the weight and learn the position. I think he is a better athlete than people give him credit for and would like to see what the kid can do at OLB. My question to you is why not?
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Leave people at their positions!! I hate these threads! Hell next one will be "Can Alex Smith play outside linebacker?"

I think that it is funny how people think that it is such a stretch of the imagination to ask an DE to play OLB. Now think about that statement for a second and let it sink in a bit. A DE playing OLB in a 34 defense. I have read stupid statements comparing it to Alex playing OLB or Miller playing Tackle. REALLY!?! Dobbs is listed at 6'2" and 275 lbs. Haralson is listed at 6' and 255 lbs. Brooks is 6'3" and 259 lbs. I think that if he was able to shave off 15 to 20 lbs will put him right in their ball park. He has all off season to lose the weight and learn the position. I think he is a better athlete than people give him credit for and would like to see what the kid can do at OLB. My question to you is why not?

We had a history in this team under Nolan of changing a player's position. Didn't work very often. I only see it as being justified when a player is either not making it at his current position or is physically unsuited for that position.

So you take a guy who, so far as I can tell, is doing a good job being depth at his position and ask him to lose a chunk of weight and learn a new position and ask, why not?

Why?
Originally posted by English:

We had a history in this team under Nolan of changing a player's position. Didn't work very often. I only see it as being justified when a player is either not making it at his current position or is physically unsuited for that position.

So you take a guy who, so far as I can tell, is doing a good job being depth at his position and ask him to lose a chunk of weight and learn a new position and ask, why not?

Why?

Because we would have more use for him at OLB. We already have good depth on the line. He was at the bottom of the depth chart after Will Tukuafu and Ian Williams. I don't think he saw a snap on the field outside of special teams. I think that he showed promise in preseason last year and think he is a diamond in the rough. We do not have depth at OLB. He can totally lose that weight in that amount of time. By the way Aldon played DE in college. Parys played DE in college. Brooks played MLB in college. When Brooks came here it was Singletary that wanted to move him to OLB. By the way Bruce Miller played DE in college and is now our starting FB. Another player I think he would compare to is LaMarr Woodley. LaMarr is listed at 6'2" 265 lbs. In comparison he would only need to lose 10 lbs. By the way he was a DE in college too. Try it and see if it works out. If not just have him add the weight back on. It's easier to add the weight back on then it does to lose it. That is why!

Why?

Because we would have more use for him at OLB. We already have good depth on the line. He was at the bottom of the depth chart after Will Tukuafu and Ian Williams. I don't think he saw a snap on the field outside of special teams. I think that he showed promise in preseason last year and think he is a diamond in the rough. We do not have depth at OLB. He can totally lose that weight in that amount of time. By the way Aldon played DE in college. Parys played DE in college. Brooks played MLB in college. When Brooks came here it was Singletary that wanted to move him to OLB. By the way Bruce Miller played DE in college and is now our starting FB. Another player I think he would compare to is LaMarr Woodley. LaMarr is listed at 6'2" 265 lbs. In comparison he would only need to lose 10 lbs. By the way he was a DE in college too. Try it and see if it works out. If not just have him add the weight back on. It's easier to add the weight back on then it does to lose it. That is why!

The depth at specific positions is a good argument. Although if Brooks re-signs and we have a good draft, it may not hold as much water.

The success of Miller, for example, not so much. Plenty of examples of players who changed position and were not successful.
The depth at specific positions is a good argument. Although if Brooks re-signs and we have a good draft, it may not hold as much water.

The success of Miller, for example, not so much. Plenty of examples of players who changed position and were not successful.

But I. Dont even consider this a position change. This move could be done even if he stays at his weight. And then twill bring a little moreflexibility, he could cover DE in an emergency without the scheme changing too much.

Amongst all the dumb ideas people can ome up with this is not one of them.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
no but i can
His size and height combo reminds me of a OLB we tried to get a few years ago.

Adalius Thomas
Position: OLB-DE Height: 6-2 Weight: 270 lbs.
Aldon Smith on one side... Demarcus Dobbs on the other... AS DEFENSIVE ENDS in a 4-3 !!!!!

"silly, stubborn 3-4 lovers!"

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Aldon Smith on one side... Demarcus Dobbs on the other... AS DEFENSIVE ENDS in a 4-3 !!!!!

"silly, stubborn 3-4 lovers!"

we do play a lot of 4-3 nickel :D Dobbs and and Aldon bookending Justin Smith and Ray Mac Willis Bowman and Brooks behind them would be nuts.
Originally posted by sfout:
we do play a lot of 4-3 nickel :D Dobbs and and Aldon bookending Justin Smith and Ray Mac Willis Bowman and Brooks behind them would be nuts.
Or if the miners can get grant back

If he can take over for McDonald or Justin Smith in a pinch that would be nice. Ray Ray was a monster for about 4 games until the hammy. If it wasn't for the injury he would have made the Pro Bowl for sure. Seems like this defense can actually improve from last year
  • mike
  • Veteran
It's easy to say just gain or lose 15 pounds, have you ever just lost 15 pounds? Takes a lot of work...
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
It's easy to say just gain or lose 15 pounds, have you ever just lost 15 pounds? Takes a lot of work...

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. I can gain or drop 15 pounds easy. As an adult, I started at 5'10'' and 150 pounds and then blew up to 210. It wasn't a fit 210, though... I was prehypertensive and I also have supraventricular tachycardia. So, I had to lose weight to be healthy. So, I went into weight loss mode... went all the way back down to 150. Then I realized that was too thin for me, so I gained 20 pounds and I'm now 170.

My fiancee hates me because I can add or drop weight without really trying.

Anyway, that's just the story of a regular guy, not a professional athlete. Adding and dropping 15 pounds is relatively easy for them, especially with all of the guidance they get from team trainers. Hell, you can drop 15 pounds just using water weight.

It really all depends on the individual. Their metabolism, their frame, and their work ethic determine how easy it is.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
But I. Dont even consider this a position change. This move could be done even if he stays at his weight. And then twill bring a little moreflexibility, he could cover DE in an emergency without the scheme changing too much.

Amongst all the dumb ideas people can ome up with this is not one of them.

Exactly. Moving from DE to OLB isn't much of a stretch. If he has the athletic ability to make the transition, it's worth a shot. It will also give him an opportunity to get on the field a little more. It's not like he would be expected to be a starter as soon as he switches over. Whoever started the thread brought up a good question and it's worth looking into if he has the ability to stand up and move laterally.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by mike:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. I can gain or drop 15 pounds easy. As an adult, I started at 5'10'' and 150 pounds and then blew up to 210. It wasn't a fit 210, though... I was prehypertensive and I also have supraventricular tachycardia. So, I had to lose weight to be healthy. So, I went into weight loss mode... went all the way back down to 150. Then I realized that was too thin for me, so I gained 20 pounds and I'm now 170.

My fiancee hates me because I can add or drop weight without really trying.

Anyway, that's just the story of a regular guy, not a professional athlete. Adding and dropping 15 pounds is relatively easy for them, especially with all of the guidance they get from team trainers. Hell, you can drop 15 pounds just using water weight.

It really all depends on the individual. Their metabolism, their frame, and their work ethic determine how easy it is.

Ok I hate you lol.

They could probably do it in a whole offseason, but the only problem is if there is an injury on the d-line you no longer have him at ideal D-line weight, so if they do decide he's going to be an OLB it has to be like at least a season-long change and you need plenty of depth in case a ray mac or justin goes down hurt mid-season.
Share 49ersWebzone