LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Newsflash Bowman and Grant are not 3-4 OLBs!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jacka:
II know there are other threads on this so feel free to merge. Felt this needed to be put to rest once and for all. All I keep seeing on other boards and comments sections is Niner fans saying who cares about resigning Brooks because those two can play OLB. No they can't. They would get manhandled on the edge in a 3-4. This isn't madden. Grant and Bowman could not consistently hold the edge against a right tackle and or TE. They would get engulfed at the point of attack and would provide almost zero pass rush off the corner. They are ILBs in a 3-4.

Please don't try the Bowman or Grant had 2 sacks one game garbage. They were on designed blitzes where they either came free or had to beat a running back.

I think Brooks is one of the better all around 3-4 OLBs in the league and would love to resign him. Don't think we will be able to afford him though. Probably draft a developmental guy and sign a situational rusher in FA. Aldon and Parys as the staters.

I think this is all a valid statement but honestly, the talent of Bowman would be an asset anywhere he was dedicated to. Maybe he doesn't have the prototypical size for an OLB, but then you just flip your OLBs to keep him on the weak side or whatever. The guy can just flat out play and you find ways to get him on the field. Grant showed he has some playmaking ability as well, how much exactly remains to be seen, and I have to believe that if Brooks goes, Fangio will definitely take a look at who can do what regardless of pure height and weight statistics. If he has to change the way they play defense to get the best 11 on the field, you know they will. The likelihood of finding someone more proven than Grant or whomever they already have on the roster seems rather slim if they're trying to save money on that position.
We have haralson and smith we just need a backup even if Brooks leaves.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Why?
  • Tman
  • Veteran
no worries fellas! I will be headin to the local pro day to showcase my talents at the OLB position and im sure i will lock it up!
hmmmmm
thank god Willis is
Originally posted by RonMexico:
thank god Willis is

Thank god Andy Lee is
Old and busted = P Willy
New hotness = Newsflash

... But can Brian Jennings play OLB?
Didn't bow play olb in college? He can play all positions and is a good pass rusher too. But better playing next to willis
Originally posted by elguapo:
Didn't bow play olb in college? He can play all positions and is a good pass rusher too. But better playing next to willis

In a 4-3 D which is totally different. His responsibility was stopping the run and going out in coverage. In a 3-4 it would be rushing the passer a lot and occasionally dropping back.
  • Jacka
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by elguapo:

In a 4-3 D which is totally different. His responsibility was stopping the run and going out in coverage. In a 3-4 it would be rushing the passer a lot and occasionally dropping back.

@ WillistheWall. This is exactly what I was talking about.
Can Larry Grant play RB even if Gire?
Share 49ersWebzone