LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

If Brooks Bails, Bring Back Manny?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I never understood why Manny never panned out as a pass rusher. He had elite speed/explosive ability and showed some nice moves in college. He even won their defensive mvp over mario . Was he just too skinny and got pushed around?
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Manny is the protypical 4-3 OLB, he has nothing to do in a 3-4 scheme. Remember in 2010 he came of the field in passing sitautions...
nough said

Yeah, because Sing and Co clearly knew what it took to win.......

And T.Smith started over Alex.

Our current coaching staff never said they didn't want him back, they just wanted him back a what they thought was a fair price....nough said.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM ]
While I dont think he fits the scheme that great, I always liked the player and thought he capable of a lot more. I would be for it.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Brooks had a career high 7 sacks last year. Before that he had 5 in 2010 and 6 in 2009. This year he took every snap and certainly benefited from the talent around him, which Lawson never had. I'm not saying Brooks isn't a little better, but I dont think the difference is "real upgrade in that area" either. BTW, Lawson had a career high 6.5 sacks in 2009 with a weaker supporting cast.

And playing way less snaps than Books did this year, especially on obvious passing downs.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Why bring him back?
Brooks is a better football player/
Just curious, in what way? I dont think you can say the real upgrade in our defense came from Lawson leaving and Brooks starting. The upgrade came from starting RayMac, adding Aldon and Justin playing out of his dam mind.....did I mention the addition of Bowman as well?

BTW, Lawson had better stats as a Niner in 2010 and 09 than he did as a 2011 Bengal.

I agree.

While Brooks had a nice year and played almost every down, he made just a handful of plays.

Rumor has it he wants 8 mil a year. 8 mil for 50 tackles and 7 sacks? No thanks. Start Aldon and Haraslon and draft a rookie in round 1 or 2 and tell him to get after the QB on passing downs.

Our current coaching staff never said they didn't want him back, they just wanted him back a what they thought was a fair price....nough said.

Lawson leaving had nothing to do with money. He signed for 1 year at 3 million with Cincy. Hardly breaking the bank IMO. I dont think they wanted anything to do with Lawson. He was not the pass rusher we needed and they knew it.

And there is no chance he comes back here. None.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Why bring him back?
Brooks is a better football player/

Why respond to a thread when you dont even read the title or OP correctly.....
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

Lawson leaving had nothing to do with money. He signed for 1 year at 3 million with Cincy. Hardly breaking the bank IMO. I dont think they wanted anything to do with Lawson. He was not the pass rusher we needed and they knew it.

And there is no chance he comes back here. None.

I dont think you are factoring in the "pride" factor. 1st round pick, felt he deserved a big exstention (read the articles over the years) and felt he was under appreciated. Remember, the Niners put a tender on him in that small window period. Lawson, Goldson, McDonald and Spillman were the only guys to get the tender. All but Lawson are on the team. Thats pretty good company and tells me that the Niners wanted him (at the right price). Now if you where talking Nate, that's a different story.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e91b6c/article/niners-tender-lawson-goldson-mcdonald-spillman
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
go ahead and lock this b***h up

I would still take Manny as our back up...but I doubt he'd take back up money.
Originally posted by susweel:

ya this one is a wrap
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
ya this one is a wrap
thank god
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by susweel:

ya this one is a wrap