There are 252 users in the forums

If Brooks Bails, Bring Back Manny?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea Barrows tweeted me that Brooks is seeking 8 million a year. Ok he might be in outer space with that one.

Thanks for your years of service mr Brooks

lolz I'm cool with a 6Mill average but 8mill is a bit laughable.

Nobody is gonna give him that he will come down to earth when he sees no other team will offer him that.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Yea Barrows tweeted me that Brooks is seeking 8 million a year. Ok he might be in outer space with that one.

Thanks for your years of service mr Brooks

lolz I'm cool with a 6Mill average but 8mill is a bit laughable.

Nobody is gonna give him that he will come down to earth when he sees no other team will offer him that.

Brooks can take his whopping 7 sack season high and pound pavement for that price......
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Nah he doesn't fit our scheme and I honestly feel like Haralson is a better fit for what we do if they're both going for that OLB spot. I'd rather draft someone like Jake Bequette/Ronnell Lewis and plug them in to that 3 OLB rotation somehow. Or find a vet that can be a part time player. Not a fan of Manny in this defense. He was cool as a person and a player but he's just not a fit in a 3-4.

couldn't agree more. He doesn't fit what the 9ers do. I could see Smith/Haralson starting with the team drafting another OLB and signing a vet for insurance. Id like to have Brooks back but he could get expensive.
No worries Oak. I got love for you. Yeah, no doubt we need to resign Brooks to a LT deal at whatever the cost - for God's sakes, in his 1st year, he was a pro-bowl alternate. You're not going to find a better SAM in the business and he's only going to get better in year 2 under Fangio when he adds more to the playbook. Guys like Brooks/J.Smith took every single snap last year (conditioning issues? I think not!) and played straight up in a vanilla 3-4 often times occupying those two guys so others could get the glory. They both still had great sacks numbers, were the best at TFL and in QB pressures/hits and even did bery well at diagnosing plays quickly and providing solid underneath and inside-out coverage even w/ poor over-the-top help! Those two, my friends, are complete players and are very rare as we saw in 5 years of watching Manny. That said, those who claim Lawson was great in coverage, this is a bit of a misnomer...he actually wasn't that good at all; in fact, all of our LBers are average-at-best in coverage which leads me to my next point (but he had a TON of ability but was never great at anything).

I do like the point about covering TE's in general though. In year 2, this should come down to either a taller Goldson or Culliver next year instead of leaving shorter guys such as Willis/Bowman/Whitner on them next year. Year 2 should open up better chemistry and therefore, more intricacies of the playbook that will allow for better match-ups. Willis/Bowman need to be more free to rush the passer and clean up tackles and play closer to the LOS.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Brooks can take his whopping 7 sack season high and pound pavement for that price......

agree
NO!

He's a 4-3 guy... I thought we established that fact the first time he was here?
Originally posted by cciowa:

agree
How you gonna go and ruin the thread like that......
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
How you gonna go and ruin the thread like that......

when you are right you are right. had to give you a little sugar on the jaw
I really wouldn't mind having Lawson back simply because the 49ers can't continue to rely on just Willis to go out in coverage against some of these monster tight-ends. 49ers will have to go through basically every top tight-end in football that isn't already on the team next year. Lawson was tremendous in coverage so he might be worth a look just on that factor alone.
I think it is a good idea if we can't retain Brooks. If I had to pick one of the 2, I'd go with Brooks but it looks like we can't afford him. So why not bring back Lawson? Who is a better fit free agent OLB compared to Manny? Don't even say Jarrett Johnson

Originally posted by spizzy:
I think it is a good idea if we can't retain Brooks. If I had to pick one of the 2, I'd go with Brooks but it looks like we can't afford him. So why not bring back Lawson? Who is a better fit free agent OLB compared to Manny? Don't even say Jarrett Johnson

Johnson is better than Manny though...
If Brooks has to go my thought would be to go after his replacement in the draft. At our spot think we would be able to get: Andre Branch or Vinny Curry. Both players would fit in our system nicely and both would be early contributers. But I hope Brooks is able to so we can draft an OLB in the later rounds. As it stands now I think we need: Coby Fleener, DE, RB, WR. If we trade with the fins we could pick up a 2 & 3. Thats 4 impact players
HELL NAH!!! MANNY SUCKS
I've seen it suggested and I agree that the best scenario would be to get Goldson signed long-term before free agency and franchise Brooks to keep him motivated one more year and give us another year to build some depth at OLB so we can let his a$$ walk for big dollars next year.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I have a feeling his agent monitoring what happens with Anthony Spencer. It could be bad news for us if Spencer gets that 8.8 mil FT.
Share 49ersWebzone