LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

Do you believe the 49er will sign a true #1 WR AND a high draft pick as #2 WR?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you believe the 49er will sign a true #1 WR AND a high draft pick as #2 WR?

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Please stop now. Crabtree would ball out in NY. Manning >>>>>>>>> Smith.

wannna bet?

the reason is crabtree hasnt attended a preseason game or offseason workout

please stop posting or think before you post

Manning doesn't need 4 years of chemistry building before he's consistenly able to hit his WR....

Ok, now I'm trolling; kind of.

Have you watched any of Eli's games in past seasons or are you just going off of this one?
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

wannna bet?

the reason is crabtree hasnt attended a preseason game or offseason workout

please stop posting or think before you post

Manning doesn't need 4 years of chemistry building before he's consistenly able to hit his WR....

Ok, now I'm trolling; kind of.

Have you watched any of Eli's games in past seasons or are you just going off of this one?

Just going off this one.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
This is where he can definitely improve. It's well documented that he has not had a lot of enthusiasm in working with Smith. Hopefully Smith's success this year will entice Crabtree to reach out and put in extra work with him. There are so many layers that go into a successful offensive system, and certainly the personal chemistry between a QB and WR is one of them. I hope he starts to feed off of the team first attitude that guys like Smith and Davis have.

Yes, working with the QB you play with during the season is a lot more important than work back home in Texas with buddies. Also, I understand his hesitancy in working with Rice but he should man up, get some confidence and take Jerry's advice and help. Why not work with the best in history? Get over yourself Michael and become the WR we all want you to be!

Jerry rice: "Crabs, we are going to learn some work ethic."

Crabs: "See ya"

lol THIS lol
  • dj43
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Shouldn't someone get it in his head that Hakeem Nicks was drafted towards the end of the same round as him and has performed much much better??

Looking back, I wanna know why Crabtree was valued much higher than Nicks??

Crabtree would have been crucified by the fans in NY. All his injuries and dropped passes would have resulted in so much negative media coverage he would have gone back to Dallas and hid behind the couch. Coughlin would have sat him so far down on the end of the bench it would have taken a $30 taxi ride to get back to the ball park.

Truth is; Crabtree would not even have started in NY. Nicks and Cruz are definitely better and so is Manningham when healthy. Those guys actually catch the ball.
Originally posted by dj43:
Shouldn't someone get it in his head that Hakeem Nicks was drafted towards the end of the same round as him and has performed much much better??

Crabtree would have been crucified by the fans in NY. All his injuries and dropped passes would have resulted in so much negative media coverage he would have gone back to Dallas and hid behind the couch. Coughlin would have sat him so far down on the end of the bench it would have taken a $30 taxi ride to get back to the ball park.

Truth is; Crabtree would not even have started in NY. Nicks and Cruz are definitely better and so is Manningham when healthy. Those guys actually catch the ball.

Same could be said about another player on our team but not for lack of effort. Still doesnt mean Crabtree doesnt have the talent and wouldnt be able to excel with elite QBs.
What about Louis Murphy from the raiders. He has more big play ability by far than any reciever we have and has speed. Also very young with size. Raiders have cap problems anyway. Could get him cheap.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

Same could be said about another player on our team but not for lack of effort. Still doesnt mean Crabtree doesnt have the talent and wouldnt be able to excel with elite QBs.
Another boring day at work, I can see.

Joe, you are really hurting your credibility with your persistency in turning every thread into a "I don't like AS" thread. I KNOW you don't believe half the stuff you post. I've read enough of your stuff to recognize that you are pretty knowledgeable about pro football, except when it comes to talking about the QB position. For some reason, your filter isn't allowing you to recognize what is happening.

As to Crabtree; we all hope he fulfills the promise he had coming out of college but so far, injuries and bad advice have kept him from even living up to the hopes normally attached to a 2nd round pick, much less a top 10 pick. Even if he had Tom Brady he would still have to run a 10 yard pattern if it was 3rd and 9. He would still have to come back for the ball to shield off a defender. He would still have to keep working when the QB leaves the pocket, still run CONSISTENT patterns, etc. None of those things depend on an "elite" QB. Rather ALL of those things are what a WR should be doing if he considers HIMSELF to be "elite."

My hope, as I'm sure all 49er fans hope, is that MC will come in healthy and spend the kind of time that Montana and Clark spent, or Young and Rice, or all the good combinations have spent in order to max out their potential. There is no substitute for that kind of time together.

I was watching a video earlier today about Tom Martinez, Tom Brady's HS coach and life-long QB mentor, who passed on yesterday. In the video, Martinez said it takes 3,000 repetitions to turn a weakness into a strength. MC has been lucky if he has been healthy enough for 300 reps. He has a LONG way to go in order to reach the kind of chemistry that great WRs have with their QBs. Let's hope 2012 will be different.

Joe, you are really hurting your credibility with your persistency in turning every thread into a "I don't like AS" thread. I KNOW you don't believe half the stuff you post. I've read enough of your stuff to recognize that you are pretty knowledgeable about pro football, except when it comes to talking about the QB position. For some reason, your filter isn't allowing you to recognize what is happening.

As to Crabtree; we all hope he fulfills the promise he had coming out of college but so far, injuries and bad advice have kept him from even living up to the hopes normally attached to a 2nd round pick, much less a top 10 pick. Even if he had Tom Brady he would still have to run a 10 yard pattern if it was 3rd and 9. He would still have to come back for the ball to shield off a defender. He would still have to keep working when the QB leaves the pocket, still run CONSISTENT patterns, etc. None of those things depend on an "elite" QB. Rather ALL of those things are what a WR should be doing if he considers HIMSELF to be "elite."

My hope, as I'm sure all 49er fans hope, is that MC will come in healthy and spend the kind of time that Montana and Clark spent, or Young and Rice, or all the good combinations have spent in order to max out their potential. There is no substitute for that kind of time together.

I was watching a video earlier today about Tom Martinez, Tom Brady's HS coach and life-long QB mentor, who passed on yesterday. In the video, Martinez said it takes 3,000 repetitions to turn a weakness into a strength. MC has been lucky if he has been healthy enough for 300 reps. He has a LONG way to go in order to reach the kind of chemistry that great WRs have with their QBs. Let's hope 2012 will be different.

Filter? I'm just saying that why can't Crabtree improve, as he has done each and every year in the NFL, if Alex can improve, which he has only slightly done in 7 years?

I'm not making any general statement of what Crabtree isn't doing because that requires coach's film and knowledge of the play...for the most part. Dude got nearly 900 yards. But the false thinking that "he's not fast enough" or "not consistent" is just throwing things up in the air. The exact same things were said about Morgan but the fact is, both have shown ability in the past. Both has shown speed to get past their DB's on the deep ball and after the catch. Fact is, both have not nearly gotten the number of opportunities as the "#1" over rated WR's we covet in the zone.

You just don't want to believe that there is a s**t load of room for improvement for Crabs and Morgan. Yes, the only thing you can say they can't do is that they can't grow taller. Other than that, the proof is in their increase in production every year they have been in the NFL, even in the worst coaching/QB conditions. Can't say the same for our QB.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM ]
  • dj43

Filter? I'm just saying that why can't Crabtree improve, as he has done each and every year in the NFL, if Alex can improve, which he has only slightly done in 7 years?

I'm not making any general statement of what Crabtree isn't doing because that requires coach's film and knowledge of the play...for the most part. Dude got nearly 900 yards. But the false thinking that "he's not fast enough" or "not consistent" is just throwing things up in the air. The exact same things were said about Morgan but the fact is, both have shown ability in the past. Both has shown speed to get past their DB's on the deep ball and after the catch. Fact is, both have not nearly gotten the number of opportunities as the "#1" over rated WR's we covet in the zone.

You just don't want to believe that there is a s**t load of room for improvement for Crabs and Morgan. Yes, the only thing you can say they can't do is that they can't grow taller. Other than that, the proof is in their increase in production every year they have been in the NFL, even in the worst coaching/QB conditions. Can't say the same for our QB.

To review; with so many people ragging on Crabtree and setting limits, I have ALWAYS said the biggest problem with him has been bad advice on his hold out and recurrent injuries. I STILL believe he can become a very good WR if he can stay healthy and get the needed practice time. I don't think he can become an "elite" receiver in the class of Andre or Calvin or Fitz but I am more than willing to be proven wrong. All it will take with him is to get the time to work in the system and correct his technique. Morgan was doing very well for the short amount of time he had last season. He too will be better, however, I don't see either of them being the kind of receiver that will really provide the kind of player that a DC will have to game plan around.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
So for those of you who agree that we are going to sign a FA true #1 WR, plus draft a high #2 WR, you believe that baalke and harbaugh are going to pay craps as a #1 WR?
Do the math guys, that means we will be paying two guys to be #1 WR, and I don't think that going to happen. This is cap football, and paying two guys as #1 WR just doesn't happen. It only makes sense to me if they offer craps money he is worth, say a #2.5 or #3. That is the part that no one is addressing, and I have a hard time believing it.

English, I already knew the answer. I am just curious how we go about paying 2 guys #1WR money, esp when our current #1 is playing down to a #3. THAT was my real question...not if we were going to get a FA and a hi draft WR.

We're not paying Crabs "as a #1" we're paying him according to the position he was drafted in. There's a big difference.

To review; with so many people ragging on Crabtree and setting limits, I have ALWAYS said the biggest problem with him has been bad advice on his hold out and recurrent injuries. I STILL believe he can become a very good WR if he can stay healthy and get the needed practice time. I don't think he can become an "elite" receiver in the class of Andre or Calvin or Fitz but I am more than willing to be proven wrong. All it will take with him is to get the time to work in the system and correct his technique. Morgan was doing very well for the short amount of time he had last season. He too will be better, however, I don't see either of them being the kind of receiver that will really provide the kind of player that a DC will have to game plan around.

IMO, the biggest issue with Crabtree is a mental block. Pure speculation on my part, but I sense that he did not want to be drafted by us (I'm guessing he wanted to be a Cowboy). Leading up to camps, there ALWAYS seems to be an issue with him. Non-specific foot problems. Undisclosed excusals from practice. Hold outs. All this tells me that he just isn't very motivated to play.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM ]

I agree for the most part. To me, an elite receiver isn't one that requires double teams. It is a receiver who can beat double teams. Calvin and Andre are in that category. Moss and Rice were in that category. However, I do think Vernon is the target that garners the double teams and he has beat it at times. Crabs and Morgan can beat single coverage but they haven't had the opportunity to show they can by being having more chances to catch over DB's or fight for the ball, which they can do because they are both strong and aggressive.

I do believe they are far from fully developed and can be in that 2nd tier after the true elite WR's.
Crabtree is our #1
The problem was we had no one else after Morgan went down and Edwards flamed out
After that happened the defense had 5 guys to cover 2 ppl (crabs and VD)
They had to keep an eye on Ginn (because of his speed) but after he went down We had no one!
Swain? Hasting? Williams? None of those guys were real threats
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Crabtree is our #1
The problem was we had no one else after Morgan went down and Edwards flamed out
After that happened the defense had 5 guys to cover 2 ppl (crabs and VD)
They had to keep an eye on Ginn (because of his speed) but after he went down We had no one!
Swain? Hasting? Williams? None of those guys were real threats

Basically, no matter who we get, we can't do anything about it if unlucky injuries occur to our top 2 and another deep threat. We just needed health in 2011 but do need to replace Braylon and Morgan since they are FA's.

No you cant. Trouble is, you cant say it about Morgan either.
Share 49ersWebzone