There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Historical: Why did GB have our # in the playoffs?

Holgren and Fritz Shurmur -- I think Holgren knew the WCO so well, and how to game plan the personnell in that system, that combined with Fritz Shurmur as a very good defensive coordinator, they just seemed to be able to dismantle / out coach our staff in these games.

As an example, IIRC - in one playoff game we opened with a very conservative swing pass to the full back that got blown-up, a fumble, and GB TD to start the game. The very next year, I was praying we didn't open with the same play, AND WE DID!! And they stopped it cold -- at least it wasn't blown up.

But I will agree -- they had better personnell too overall -- two big play receivers (Brooks and Freeman), versus our Rice and Stokes (and later TO), and better running backs, and a draw at TE - Jones vs Chumura (sp?). But they had Reggie White, who always seemed to come up with a key sack at the right time late in a game.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
One of the playoff games where Favre beat us he had like 88 yards passing doe

Which game?

96: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199701040gnb.htm
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He did save his worst performances of the year often for the postseason.

For example:

In 1992 he threw 7 INTs during the regular season then threw 3 in two postseason games. He threw 2 in the NFC Championship loss to Dallas.
In 1995 he threw 2 INTs in the playoff loss to Green Bay
In 1997 we had the #1 ranked defense in football. Hosting the NFC Championship game we scored only 10 points and lost. Our only TD came on a late game kick return.

During the 3 straight playoff losses to Green Bay, Young threw the ball 108 times for a grand total of zero touchdowns and three interceptions.

Losing the turnover battle killed us against Green Bay just as it did versus the Giants this year.

Ouch - Young's reputation has improved despite that above reality.

Alex Smith Playoffs>>>>Steve Young playoffs
Could not defend a tighte end seam route.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Could not defend a tighte end seam route.

This also.. f**k chumura.
gilbert brown, even if we had a legit running back, we still couldnt block him
Ok for the young fans out there. The only reason GB dominated us is because of Mike Holmgren. A former 49er coach. He was there for 6 seasons. He knew what defense and offense we ran so it was easy for him to pick us apart. He did a great job of it too.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Feb 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:

was that the big huge b***h that always wore the visor? can't f**king stand him
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by crabman82:

was that the big huge b***h that always wore the visor? can't f**king stand him

yes sir
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Ok for the young fans out there. The only reason GB dominated us is because of Mike Holmgren. A former 49er coach. He was there for 6 seasons. He knew what defense and offense we ran so it was easy for him to pick us apart. He did a great job of it too.

Yeah, looking back this totally makes the most sense and explains why Holmgren had an edge against us but not against Dallas.

It was almost as if GB were a divisional team.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
This also.. f**k chumura.

didnt he get caught up in some scandal with an underage girl in a hot tub
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
He did save his worst performances of the year often for the postseason.

For example:

In 1992 he threw 7 INTs during the regular season then threw 3 in two postseason games. He threw 2 in the NFC Championship loss to Dallas.
In 1995 he threw 2 INTs in the playoff loss to Green Bay
In 1997 we had the #1 ranked defense in football. Hosting the NFC Championship game we scored only 10 points and lost. Our only TD came on a late game kick return.

During the 3 straight playoff losses to Green Bay, Young threw the ball 108 times for a grand total of zero touchdowns and three interceptions.

Losing the turnover battle killed us against Green Bay just as it did versus the Giants this year.

Ouch - Young's reputation has improved despite that above reality.

Alex Smith Playoffs>>>>Steve Young playoffs

You know (and I'm not saying this to join in on a joke/troll), but I saw more clutch out of Alex in that game than I had ever seen out of Steve in any playoff game (even compared to the Catch II game). -Steve sucked most of the time it counted (blew it in the '92 Championship), and was gifted with the best offense of 1994, the Superbowl was gift wrapped.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
You know (and I'm not saying this to join in on a joke/troll), but I saw more clutch out of Alex in that game than I had ever seen out of Steve in any playoff game (even compared to the Catch II game). -Steve sucked most of the time it counted (blew it in the '92 Championship), and was gifted with the best offense of 1994, the Superbowl was gift wrapped.

technically no one was that clutch (with maybe some exceptions of game winning drives) alex was the only qb in nfl history to lead 2 go ahead scoring TDs under 3 min
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Not to turn this into a Young lovefest but you are putting blame on him for not beating teams that well....no one did.
92 Cowboys = Won title
93 Cowboys = Won title
96 Packers = Won title
97 Packers = Upset in Super Bowl

Those are arguably 4 of the top 15 teams since 1980. All those teams had superior defenses to Steve's.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but from 1993-1998, except for 1995 we were probably underdogs in each lose

1995 is a somewhat forgotten devastating lose. The win over Dallas really gave us steam going into the playoffs & we never recovered after the opening play fumble that poster above mentioned.
- Truth is Packers were 13-5 vs us 11-5, in a much tougher division
- I remember watching their victory over the Falcons the previous week and not fearing them whatsoever.
- Steve Young still owns the Playoff Record for Attempts (65), He was 32 for 328 with 2 INT's. 77 Rushing yards w/TD
- Derek Loville had 8 attempts for 5 yards & TD (lol)

It made Ranking the 25 Most Shocking Upsets in NFL Playoff History

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1013280-ranking-the-25-most-shocking-upsets-in-nfl-playoff-history/page/7
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Hmm... I think maybe it's because Green Bay had the overall better team at the time.

Hence, the losing.

I agree with this.

I just find it interesting we could always compete with Dallas back then, and more often than not beat them. Dallas beat up on GB more than they ever could on us.

IIRC GB defensive coordinator probably was better than Dallas DC....he used some exotic nickel & dime packages and really shut us down.

Some teams simply match up better with certain teams. Dallas matched up better with Green Bay than they did with us, so they were able to handle GB. We matched up better with Dallas than GB. GB matched up better with us than Dallas. Round and round we went.