There are 278 users in the forums

Historical: Why did GB have our # in the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
I couldn't agree more. If you've ever watched Young's entire career with the 49ers (I did) and seen video of Young after he won the Super Bowl, crying and acting giddy, you'd know why.

Young is just lucky there was no internet forums back then, he would've gotten blasted relentlessly. But, the 49ers were patient with him and rewarded justly.

Say what? s**t cuz, I was posting and chatting up in dem dere IRC chat-rooms back when I was like 12 years old :P

And yes, Young was getting hammered on the internet, Grbac was the "TJ ONateDavisHillTroySmithson" of the era.

Of course that time AOL was charging $9.95 for 2 hours of access a month, so people would post a whole bunch for like a week, and then you wouldn't seem them until the following month.

And posters on here wonder why Smith still gets bashed when Young, a perennial Pro Bowl, All Pro, MVP got bashed on for not winning the big game.

Even during the Joe Montana days, there was the BonoYoung faction.

On here, if you say anything bad about Smith there is an uproar from about 7-8 guys. lol.

All this for a guy who hasn't accomplished a single thing in his career. Our fan base has gotton soft in the last 10 years from all the losing.

Sub par performances are acceptable now.

My global viewpoint on these things is that fans of every team call their QB a choke artist until they win the Superbowl. Then when they do win, I think that is proof enough the fans were all wet with this choker label. Young proved his case, and it is now just comical to see harping on him.

As far as Young not getting the bad fan treatment, you must not have been going to those games bakc then if you don;t think that happened. Never have I heard a member of the 49ers booed as much as Steve Young. My family had season tickets back thewn, and had to even tell idiots around us to STFU with their "we want Joe" chants two years after he left. t the Chiefs. Not even trying to defend Young, but damn these clowns made it annoying to watch a game. Remmber one old dude b***hing about Young throughout the entire game when the 49ers held the lead from start to end. Felt like strangling this whining biotch by the time it was over

Well he proved that he couldn't win it unless we bought him a team full of studs....He gets a pass in some people's eyes, but not others.

I was too young to go to the games but i remember the feelings about Young. He was one of my fav players (Young2Rice) so i loved em but i also knew objectively that he didn't perform well enough in the post-season.

And lots of other QBs win the superbowl without a team of studs? What I love about football is how a roster of 53 has to gel just right for a team to go all the way. People remember picks & fumbles but not a lot of the inbetween struggles where others could have made the difference, but failed.

Young's legacy is interesting discussion, but hardly merits debate IMO. The final tally at end of his career not only includes the Superbowl win, but some pretty lofty performance stats, great w/l record. I feel it is a waste of time to discuss this with people that just don't like him for whatever reason.

Yes, a QB can take over and win it for his team and win it. Favre did it against us plenty of times.

How many Hall of famers do you think are on the Giants team that just won the super bowl? I think Eli and that's it for now.

How many studs on the Giants? Less then the 49ers have, no doubt.

What about the Saints a few years back? How many hall of famers? How many studs? I can think of one HOFer....Brees.

And I do like Young, check out my username (Young2Rice). But that doesn't mean i'm a blind homer and think Young's legacy isn't debatable. The truth is Young had a stacked team, played brilliant in the regular season, and didn't continue that play during big playoff games.

One of the playoff games where Favre beat us he had like 88 yards passing doe
people forget the packers had guys like dorsey levens in his prime, charles woodson, ball hawking secondary, and some pretty good receivers for favre.

and I don't think young's legacy is all that tainted. every team tried to buy wins with big players in 94, cowboys included.
Favre could really zip it and the 49ers had poor secondaries. After losing Deion to free agency we never replaced him.
Steve Young was excellent in the playoffs. Dallas was insanely talented, there will never be anther team like that, certainly not another O-line like that.
Against Green Bay, we couldn't keep up with Favre and Holmgren, they would blow up our defense with brilliant play. The only game we didn't play in sloppy conditions, we won. Did I mention we had NOTHING at running back?

Despite all of this, he beat very good Eagles, Bears, Viking, Redskins and Giants teams in the playoffs. He played FANTASTIC in almost every playoff game where he wasn't injured or where he had a running back.
blame it all on the RB's and injuries on our oline, (IIRC)

I think if we had kept waters for at least 2 more years, we would have got 1 more sb out of the 90s
Packers were better at the time

- While they didn't have a strong running attack either with Edgar Bennett & then Dorsey Levins, we had Terry Kirby & Derek Loville....
- While Merton Hanks & Tim McDonald were great players...they weren't Hall Of Fame Leroy Butler, Darren Sharper or Eugene Robinson
- Farve outplayed Young...as a matter of fact I think quite significantly if you take out the 1998 Classic & then Favre vs Garcia
- Holmgren vs Mariucci
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
people forget the packers had guys like dorsey levens in his prime, charles woodson, ball hawking secondary, and some pretty good receivers for favre.

and I don't think young's legacy is all that tainted. every team tried to buy wins with big players in 94, cowboys included.

The Packers did not have Charles Woodson until 2006.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I agree with this.

I just find it interesting we could always compete with Dallas back then, and more often than not beat them. Dallas beat up on GB more than they ever could on us.

IIRC GB defensive coordinator probably was better than Dallas DC....he used some exotic nickel & dime packages and really shut us down.

You're mixing up the timeline

YR: PLAYOFF results (Regular Season results)
92: Cowboys beat Niners
93: Cowboys beat Niners & Packers (Cowboys beat Niners & Packers)
94: Cowboys beat Packers but Niners beat Cowboys (Cowboys beat Packers but Niners beat Cowboys)
95: Cowboys beat Packers & Packers beat Niners (Cowboys beat Packers but Niners beat Cowboys)
96: Packers beat Niners (Cowboys beat Niners & Packers)
97: Packers beat Niners ( Cowboys lose to both and miss playoffs)
98: Niners beat Packers (Packers beat Niners)
99: Only Cowboys make playoffs (Packers beat Niners, Cowboys beat Packers)
00: Everyone missed playoffs (Packers beat Niners, Niners beat Cowboys)
01: Packers beat Niners (Cowboys beat Niners)
02: (Packers beat Niners, Niners beat Cowboys)
03: (Packers beat Niners)

So Playoffs
Cowboys: 5-1
Packers: 4-4
49ers: 2-6
[ Edited by KEGster on Feb 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Deion & Rod Woodson aside because they only played 1 year, our defense had no Hall of Famers. Packers & Cowboys did
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Steve Young was excellent in the playoffs. Dallas was insanely talented, there will never be anther team like that, certainly not another O-line like that.
Against Green Bay, we couldn't keep up with Favre and Holmgren, they would blow up our defense with brilliant play. The only game we didn't play in sloppy conditions, we won. Did I mention we had NOTHING at running back?

Despite all of this, he beat very good Eagles, Bears, Viking, Redskins and Giants teams in the playoffs. He played FANTASTIC in almost every playoff game where he wasn't injured or where he had a running back.

He did save his worst performances of the year often for the postseason.

For example:

In 1992 he threw 7 INTs during the regular season then threw 3 in two postseason games. He threw 2 in the NFC Championship loss to Dallas.
In 1995 he threw 2 INTs in the playoff loss to Green Bay
In 1997 we had the #1 ranked defense in football. Hosting the NFC Championship game we scored only 10 points and lost. Our only TD came on a late game kick return.

During the 3 straight playoff losses to Green Bay, Young threw the ball 108 times for a grand total of zero touchdowns and three interceptions.

Losing the turnover battle killed us against Green Bay just as it did versus the Giants this year.

Originally posted by KEGster:

Deion & Rod Woodson aside because they only played 1 year, our defense had no Hall of Famers. Packers & Cowboys did

What does this have to do with Charles Woodson?
What does this have to do with Charles Woodson?

Wanted to force a reply so my research didn't go un-noticed!

You are completely right in the break down of Young
Originally posted by BrianGO:

For example:

In 1992 he threw 7 INTs during the regular season then threw 3 in two postseason games. He threw 2 in the NFC Championship loss to Dallas.
In 1997 we had the #1 ranked defense in football. Hosting the NFC Championship game we scored only 10 points and lost. Our only TD came on a late game kick return.

During the 3 straight playoff losses to Green Bay, Young threw the ball 108 times for a grand total of zero touchdowns and three interceptions.

Losing the turnover battle killed us against Green Bay just as it did versus the Giants this year.

Yup. Choked. Like KW did.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
One of the playoff games where Favre beat us he had like 88 yards passing doe

Which game?

For example:

Ouch - Young's reputation has improved despite that above reality.
Share 49ersWebzone