LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

out of curiosity.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While we're at it, lets trade Chilo Rachal for Tom Brady, Gronk and Wes Welker. I know Wes is a FA but i'm sure he'll sign for the league minimum.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Is it just me or does there seem to be a little too much bashing of Gore going on? Criticize his injuries or the fact that he may not be in his prime, but personally it seems like guys here are treating him as some useless liability...

I won't BS here and try to tell you he'll be younger next year, and that he'll forever avoid injuries, but what I will say is that I would much rather keep someone who works the hardest for literally every. single. yard. and although doesn't have the same physical abilities, has outstanding vision. I mean come on, Gore's not Lebron alright, all Niner fans appreciate his contributions and I still feel he can contribute along with Hunter next season in ways we'd need him to.

Fellas here might be concerned with his long-run capabilities, when in fact he's mostly used for 5-7 yard up the gut runs, which we need if Alex is gonna be throwing slants to __________. Our primary focus should be WR's, our RB's can still produce, and unless Morgan and Crabs breakout, we should focus on our receivers.

Remember, this long a** journey was all in ONE season, under a coach who's gonna have us even more prepared next season. So keeping our main playmakers, one of which is Gore, is key to maintain, if not, increase that Team Chemistry and play design from last year, cause now we've got a feel for what our offense can be like.
People aren't really treating him as if he's useless, people are looking at this from a value perspective around the league. I'll put it this way: He's worth way more to us than he is to anyone else.

Value-wise, runningbacks aren't worth much in draft picks because you can find value in the middle rounds or even find starters undrafted. The guys who do get picked in the 1st or 2nd are the guys with astonishing college stats and/or freaky athletic abilities(like Best with his speed, reggie bush heisman winner, ect).

So then compared to say wide receiver, where picking up a veteran has its benefits because they know a lot about the mental side of the game(routes, preparation and such) compared to rookies who have to take longer to learn the game, with runningbacks what benefit is there to a team trading for Gore over drafting a top runningback? Very few advantages. There are only downsides like injury proneness. Rookie runningbacks regularly emerge even in their first years, one of the few positions where college play directly translates to the NFL - If you can run, you can run.

Gore will have an important role for several more years, but his carries will fade until hunter is getting more. I'm not sure whether or not Hunter can turn into a MJD every down back with his size so eventually we will need to dump dixon and draft a wreckingball type of guy. But I agree that we definitely don't go after Hillis, WR and keeping our D together are the priorities.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Giants24:
How would it never happen in a million years?

Gore's not even worth a 5th round pick.

But as long as we're dreaming, can we trade Gore for Calvin Johnson instead?

I bet someone would give up a 3rd for gore...
frank gore is breaking down, he always starts off good then tears down , he is not the same runner he once was. he reminds me of that old jags rb that they kept for a long time and towards then end he was decent at best.. forget the name.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Giants24:
How would it never happen in a million years?

Gore's not even worth a 5th round pick.

But as long as we're dreaming, can we trade Gore for Calvin Johnson instead?

I bet someone would give up a 3rd for gore...

No way, Al Davis is dead.

Now, with Zombie Al Davis on the other hand...

I could definitely see that happening.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Payton Hillis sucks! Do not want
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
frank gore is breaking down, he always starts off good then tears down , he is not the same runner he once was. he reminds me of that old jags rb that they kept for a long time and towards then end he was decent at best.. forget the name.

This year it was the opposite. He started out rough because of the lockout, holdout, hip surgery, and mediocre o-line play. Then picked things up as the year went on. He still had 89 and 72 yard games in the playoffs despite teams clearly focusing on stopping that aspect of our game.

Fred Taylor is who you're thinking of, he fell off around the end of 07 or beginning of 08 season when he was 32. That's a longer career than most runningbacks. I'm not sure whether or not he had something as serious as a fractured hip in his career though. I think gore could still put up around 1000 yds from scrimmage till hes 30 then he'll fall off. But we'll see.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
No Peyton Hillis. Flat out, Simple.

No team will give us a first or second round pick for Gore.

Maybe we should trade Crabtree for three first round picks. The we could use them to trade for Peyton Manning, D Jackson, and move up and draft Blackmon.

That has to sound better right!!!!

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we should trade alex smith to the colts for their 1st round pick and we'll take Andrew Luck. Then we can trade Kyle Williams to the rams for their first round pick and grab Justin Blackmon.
hmmm keep whats working.. hunter is a beast and will take over after gore

Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
Is it just me or does there seem to be a little too much bashing of Gore going on? Criticize his injuries or the fact that he may not be in his prime, but personally it seems like guys here are treating him as some useless liability...

I won't BS here and try to tell you he'll be younger next year, and that he'll forever avoid injuries, but what I will say is that I would much rather keep someone who works the hardest for literally every. single. yard. and although doesn't have the same physical abilities, has outstanding vision. I mean come on, Gore's not Lebron alright, all Niner fans appreciate his contributions and I still feel he can contribute along with Hunter next season in ways we'd need him to.

Fellas here might be concerned with his long-run capabilities, when in fact he's mostly used for 5-7 yard up the gut runs, which we need if Alex is gonna be throwing slants to __________. Our primary focus should be WR's, our RB's can still produce, and unless Morgan and Crabs breakout, we should focus on our receivers.

Remember, this long a** journey was all in ONE season, under a coach who's gonna have us even more prepared next season. So keeping our main playmakers, one of which is Gore, is key to maintain, if not, increase that Team Chemistry and play design from last year, cause now we've got a feel for what our offense can be like.
People aren't really treating him as if he's useless, people are looking at this from a value perspective around the league. I'll put it this way: He's worth way more to us than he is to anyone else.

Value-wise, runningbacks aren't worth much in draft picks because you can find value in the middle rounds or even find starters undrafted. The guys who do get picked in the 1st or 2nd are the guys with astonishing college stats and/or freaky athletic abilities(like Best with his speed, reggie bush heisman winner, ect).

So then compared to say wide receiver, where picking up a veteran has its benefits because they know a lot about the mental side of the game(routes, preparation and such) compared to rookies who have to take longer to learn the game, with runningbacks what benefit is there to a team trading for Gore over drafting a top runningback? Very few advantages. There are only downsides like injury proneness. Rookie runningbacks regularly emerge even in their first years, one of the few positions where college play directly translates to the NFL - If you can run, you can run.

Gore will have an important role for several more years, but his carries will fade until hunter is getting more. I'm not sure whether or not Hunter can turn into a MJD every down back with his size so eventually we will need to dump dixon and draft a wreckingball type of guy. But I agree that we definitely don't go after Hillis, WR and keeping our D together are the priorities.

haha yeah I guess I just felt bad for him with all this talk about trades and such. When it comes to being a player who both contributes and wants to be a Niner, then Niner fans talk about trading him based on value and the Team as a whole's benefits, I think about him as an individual, and what he means to the team. He wants to be here and actually means something great to the team. It makes sense when I think it through, but my reasoning as to not falling for it is the fact that this was practically a new year and we can take different actions like getting some receivers, that will actually benefit our team as a whole, while not giving up Gore. People called us a great run-offense for a reason, the o-lines run blocking + Gore

This year was basically a test to see what we're capable of, and we all know well enough that a good WR or two will even set us up for more success, not giving up our workhorse, and new all-time leading rusher in Frank. I think I just respect the guy too much to let'em go, but anyways, I do agree for long-term situations, we get another back behind Hunter.

But first thing's first, build up that WR position, and all this Gore talk will regress

for a while, at least.
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Feb 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngb:
While we're at it, lets trade Chilo Rachal for Tom Brady, Gronk and Wes Welker. I know Wes is a FA but i'm sure he'll sign for the league minimum.

Let's be realistic. If there's a trade involving Chilo Rachal for Tom Brady, we better be getting a first round pick as well.
Fronk Gare
Trade Frink Gure and Rocky John Fransway for Eli and JPP
Originally posted by sfout:
An over the hill RB like Gore would be luckily to net us a 3rd round pick.

+1
Share 49ersWebzone