LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It just goes to show you dont need a top pick (draft or FA) at WR. You just need to use the talents of the ones you have and the ones you aquire properly and get them the ball. Cant make plays if the ball isnt thrown which is why a top QB is more important.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It just goes to show you dont need a top pick (draft or FA) at WR. You just need to use the talents of the ones you have and the ones you aquire properly and get them the ball. Cant make plays if the ball isnt thrown which is why a top QB is more important.

our WR corps consist of 2 6th round picks and 2 UNDFA and crabtree
and our best w/r was a 6th round pick and got injured midseason
  • dj43

No, you don't have to use a top pick to get one but you MUST have one that performs at the top level. It is obvious Harbaugh did not believe that guy was on the roster last season or he would not have taken the chance on Edwards. That is why everyone is predicting that unless the 49ers are not able to re-sign Rogers, they will choose a WR with their #1 pick. Even if Rogers isn't re-signed, it is still likely that they will pick one if the value is better.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no matter what it is nice to be able to figure those things out before the draft this year unlike last year. we will know what our drafts needs are and have a clearer picture in about a month. what we do with rogers and ginn will determine in what order we draft a wide out and corner. i think at this point in time we need to act like rogers and ginn will not be here and if we draft a wide out and corner, both need to be able to return kicks and punts. i know that sounds simple and stupid but i am
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no matter what it is nice to be able to figure those things out before the draft this year unlike last year. we will know what our drafts needs are and have a clearer picture in about a month. what we do with rogers and ginn will determine in what order we draft a wide out and corner. i think at this point in time we need to act like rogers and ginn will not be here and if we draft a wide out and corner, both need to be able to return kicks and punts. i know that sounds simple and stupid but i am
Originally posted by dj43:

No, you don't have to use a top pick to get one but you MUST have one that performs at the top level. It is obvious Harbaugh did not believe that guy was on the roster last season or he would not have taken the chance on Edwards. That is why everyone is predicting that unless the 49ers are not able to re-sign Rogers, they will choose a WR with their #1 pick. Even if Rogers isn't re-signed, it is still likely that they will pick one if the value is better.

I'm pretty sure he took Edwards because Crabtree was hurt with a foot injury amd Morgan as unproven coupled with the facr that Edwards is a huge WR, former #1 and wasn't going to cost much. Not because we didn't have one on the roster.
hey guys, free agency starts march 1st right?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
hey guys, free agency starts march 1st right?

March 13
Brian Quick is the answer to all of our problems. You heard it here first.
Originally posted by boast:
March 13

thanks

Damn it! Chiefs just signed Routt to a long term contract so I expect Bowe to be franchised as they will most likely let go Brandon Carr.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Damn it! Chiefs just signed Routt to a long term contract so I expect Bowe to be franchised as they will most likely let go Brandon Carr.

i never expected bowe to be released
Originally posted by dj43:
Thank you for your admission that you simply "enjoy debating on sports." That is helpful in my attempts to understand most of your posts. You pick a topic and one side of it only and stick with it with that view only. Having spent several years on a college debate team I get you now. The problem I had been having with your posts was that you ONLY looked at one side of that issue without ever acknowledging the other side. In so doing, you came off sounding like many fans who only watch the ball and never take the time to dig deeper to gain an understanding of why certain plays worked or did not work.

Even considering your admission, I still don't know how much you actually study or know about the game. You remind me of a debate partner I had for a short time. He was VERY good on the negative side of the topic but would get clobbered on the affirmative side. (in college debate each team must debate both sides of an issue twice in qualifying rounds) He could just never bring himself to fully accept the affirmative proposal even though it meant the difference between going on to the trophy round or not. You are like that guy. You never seem to grasp the other side of the issue but now your admission makes it clear it is just a matter of choice.

So I'll just stay out of your way as I prefer to talk about the entire game of football and not just pick one aspect alone.

I had a feeling you were going to put your spin on my statement of "liking to debate sports." What I mean is, I enjoy participating in threads that people are having a discussion about something. The "Patrick Willis Appreciation Posts," where there are hundreds of posts responding about how great he is, do not interest me at all. We all know how good he is. Theres no need to have a ton of people coming into agree with each other. I mean, isnt debating what message boards are all about?

As far as your silly comment about me only watching the ball goes, you must really not read what I say, and just dismiss them because they typically dont have the nicest things to say about your favorite player. One of my biggest problems with Alex is not throwing the ball to receivers which most QBs would determine as "open." I have been very vocal about that. If I was only watching the ball, how could I be making such statements?

You seem to make an awful lot of assumptions about me. I like to debate on subjects that I am on the positive side for too. Unfortunately (actually maybe fortunately), there do not seem to be many topics on NT that are hotly debated other than Alex Smith...so you have absolutely no basis for having that opinion about me.
Let's settle down and stay on topic, please.

Thanks.
@Phoenix49ers, Here I go again, stealing time from work.
That pretty much puts the truth to the lie that "OMG, OMG, OMG, LIKE WE NEED A RECEIVER, LIKE IN THE 1ST ROUND."

Oh, well since you put it that way then I must say that I'm wrong. Silly me, what on earth was I thinking by disagreeing with your facts. This team needs a TE, not a stinking WR. We can draft one in the 4th and our WR needs will be filled. After all, unless they are a top 5 pick in the Calvin Johnson-class a 1ST round WR's will just be a bust anyway. Hell, why even draft a WR. We have Crabs (who cares if he isn't producing), Morgan, Williams, Ginn, Swain, and Hastings. I have no earthly idea why I have no confidence in that WR corps. After all, we did get to the NFC title game with them. No reason we can't go further them with just one FA addition. WR's are no longer important anyhow so why are they even on the field. We can draft the sure thing Fleener in the first (because there's no possible bust factor with him at all and because teams are going to let him walk to pick 30), start him and Vernon 95% of the time with maybe one WR or one RB, and we can just exploit that match-up all season. NFL defensive schemes, NFL LB's, and NFL safeties are no good anyway, so we should be able to march right through the playoffs and straight to the SB without teams ever being good enough or wise enough to stop us.

I surrender to your supreme facts masquerading as opinions.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone