LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Where are people reading that Wallace will hit the market? Does anyone really think they would let him go after bringing in Haley as OC? Maybe if they brought in Jimmy Raye there would be a shot, but Haley will demand they keep every WR they can get... especially with Mendenhall out for the year (most likely).
Originally posted by 5280High:
Where are people reading that Wallace will hit the market? Does anyone really think they would let him go after bringing in Haley as OC? Maybe if they brought in Jimmy Raye there would be a shot, but Haley will demand they keep every WR they can get... especially with Mendenhall out for the year (most likely).

Wishful thinking, people are just throwing spaghetti at the wall, no matter how unlikely it may be. Wallace and Bowe are two guys I'm about as positive as it gets that they'll be with their current teams when the 2012 season starts.
in other news, every NFL team is trying to win a superbowl
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

damn thought we were the only ones
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Bring Stevie Johnson back home to San Francisco
Pittsburgh has no money left under the cap

Pitt is 10 mill over the cap and has to cut players just to get under. There's no way they can match a 9 or 10 m/year offer for Wallace unless they want to get rid of a couple starters. Either way, win/win for us.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I just dont see it happening. To echo what Tierney and Davis said yesterday on their show......

"If you are a top FA WR, would you want to go to a team that is a run heavy offense with Alex Smith as the QB?"

Im not saying the answer is going to be a resounding NO for most WRs....but it is definitely a question that they will all ask themselves.
Once again, the local one trick pony arrives just on time.

"Run heavy offense" may or may not be an issue. The problem with the offense this year was the lack of WRs (stating the obvious). Hence, a player like Garcon, who became frustrated with the failure last season, may see the opportunity to come here and become the piece that makes the offense more balanced AND an odds-on SB contender. Having an offensive-minded NFL Coach of the Year HC AND a winning record is a big draw for a receiver.

Once again, the blatant name calling is unnecessary. Just because you have been here longer than me doesnt mean you can regularly talk down to me.

ESPECIALLY in this instance, where I didnt even really post an opinion.....but rather passed along a statement made by our OWN color commentator. You are too much.

You never seem to miss an opportunity to express negative feelings about Alex Smith whether it is in the Alex Smith thread or otherwise. It is your pet subject.

We all know that Smith, as good as he was last season, has not yet justified his draft position. We also, most of us anyway, also recognize the integral nature of the QB/WR relationship. Improve one you improve the other. Works both ways. The QB play improved dramatically last season but the WR play was lackluster to say the least. Shefter and others have recognized it. Time to fix that. Most players, and their agents, will see the opportunity here. Where else will a decent WR go with a similar opportunity to get to the SB?

The Giants, NO and GB are loaded with WRs. Atlanta is set. Pittsburgh has quality. So does Baltimore. Dallas might have an opening but the defense is not good. Houston starts with Johnson. Detroit is full. Where is a Mike Wallace going to go if he leaves Pittsburgh and wants to go to a winner?

Do you understand how much the sentences that are bolded contradict each other. You say one improves and the other does to...and how they work both ways. Then you go and say that the QB play improved but the WRs didnt. Makes zero sense.

As far as your last paragraph goes.....dont you find it the slightest bit ironic/coincidental that ALL of the teams that have good/great receiving corps also have a top 10 QB (sans Baltimore, but I dont agree with you that they have a ton of quality receivers)?

And to address your "pet subject" comment, yes I will gladly admit that Alex is the subject I speak on most. You want to know why? Because its the subject that has the most debates. I enjoy debating on sports. And for some reason, its one of the only Niner subject matters that has two large groups with differing opinions.

Last thing....just curious if you plan on insulting and commenting on statements like the one I am about to quote....seeing as he is pretty much saying the same thing that I/Tierney/Davis was saying:

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Wallace still has to sign a contract, he has to want to come to SF in the first place. That's a big IF....especially leaving Big Ben to play with Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Schefter knows zilch.

He is just guessing like the rest of us.

I don't necessarily think he's wrong, but he doesn't have any insider info on this one.

Do you know who Adam Schefter is?? He breaks almost every NFL story before we hear it. Of course he's got the inside track. That's what
he does. I'm sure its you who knows zilch.
[ Edited by gavindirishmen on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM ]

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Pitt is 10 mill over the cap and has to cut players just to get under. There's no way they can match a 9 or 10 m/year offer for Wallace unless they want to get rid of a couple starters. Either way, win/win for us.

Yeah Pittsburgh is in CAP HELL this year. Don't know how they come out of this with most of their roster intact.
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Pittsburgh has no money left under the cap

Um, here's the other issue, the Bengals have WAY more cap space than the 49ers and they're interested in Wallace. Cincy also has 2 1st rounders, so they can afford to give up one. The Patriots are the other team that supposedly are interested, they also have multiple first rounders.

The Steelers won't be able to franchise Wallace, but there's going to be considerable competition for him from other teams.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM ]
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Do you know who Adam Schefter is?? He breaks almost every NFL story before we hear it. Of course he's got the inside track. That's what
he does. I'm sure its you who knows zilch.

Please, Schefter's been wrong countless times. These guys are about as reliable as your local television weatherguy. Schefter had Harbaugh to Miami as an absolute "lock".....oops.
Though he lacks a little in size, I believe Joe Adams would feel the special team void if ginn is released.
http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2075
From what i have seen of ginn, i would be amazed if he got released. Just too valuable on those punts. Paired with andy lee he is worth 20+ yrds on each punt exchange and altho i don't know what that translates into $$ wise, 20 yrds is worth a lot of money, esp, if done 4 or 5 times a game. Those two gave us a start on the 35 yd line more times than i can remember. It was like we were playing on a 65 yd field and opponents were playing on a 100 yd field. Ginn stays.
Share 49ersWebzone