There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
You act like this guy is number 1 TE, he is a very good 2nd TE, no one is saying anything more than that

Really? Compared to what? Olson? Aaron Hernandez? For a team that used 2 TE's as often as the 49ers you think you'd see more of a contribution, you'd expect it, no?

compared to other 2nd TEs, Walker wasnt sent out on pass plays as often as those guys you keep mentioning and try and compare him to, when the ball was thrown his way he caught it.
Well Alex did miss him on two huge plays this year, against Baltimore and against the Giants in the playoffs, he is a solid player for us and does everything that is asked of him, again this guy is our 2nd TE he isnt gonna have as many plays called for him as a VD or Crabtree, you are going a little overboard for a 2nd TE

The point is, if you can pull the trigger and bring in someone a lot bigger, more physical, a better scoring threat, even say in the 3rd or 4th round, do you do it, or is Walker still "a very good TE, we don't need anyone else."

Well we do have Nate Byham coming back this year too and he is bigger and stronger than Walker, maybe he can be that threat, the point is your a little to worked up over our 2nd TE
Also, here's a question. Would you say that Delanie Walker is on the same level as Aaron Hernandez and just hasn't had enough opportunities to prove it on the statline?
Also, here's a question. Would you say that Delanie Walker is on the same level as Aaron Hernandez and just hasn't had enough opportunities to prove it on the statline?

no
it's based on watching him play. No he's not perfect, but he's a solid player.

Just because someone isn't an All-Pro player doesn't mean they suck and must be replaced......
compared to other 2nd TEs, Walker wasnt sent out on pass plays as often as those guys you keep mentioning and try and compare him to, when the ball was thrown his way he caught it.

There was a point in the season where he had been targeted 15 times and didn't make a single catch. That's the level of production you're satisfied with?
You act like this guy is number 1 TE, he is a very good 2nd TE, no one is saying anything more than that

Really? Compared to what? Olson? Aaron Hernandez? For a team that used 2 TE's as often as the 49ers you think you'd see more of a contribution, you'd expect it, no?

add in, new england threw for 5 grand, carolina like 4500 or something
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Just because someone isn't an All-Pro player doesn't mean they suck and must be replaced......

So what you're telling me is that the 49ers shouldn't bother trying to improve that position?
Originally posted by crabman82:

Obviously those teams passed more but if the 49ers had more dynamic receiving threats, you think it might have upped their passing numbers a bit while dropping Andy Lee's? Like when you're on the 10 yard line neither your receivers nor your #1 or #2 tight-end's can't get open for s**t?

Like I said initially, I don't understand this complacent attitude. When people are talking about receivers...."WE NEED RECEIVERS THESE GUYS SUCK...AARGHHH..." but now I bring up Delanie Walker...."oh...he does stuff that doesn't show up on the stat-line." Wouldn't having someone who DOES show up on the stat-line only further help this offense?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM ]

So what you're telling me is that the 49ers shouldn't bother trying to improve that position?

with a high draft pick or signifficant free agent signing? no, we have other needs, we got a pro bowler, solid ass backup and 2 or 3 guys to battle it out for that blocking te role

Id say its not as huge of a priority as other positions
Originally posted by crabman82:

Obviously those teams passed more but if the 49ers had more dynamic receiving threats, you think it might have upped their passing numbers a bit while dropping Andy Lee's? Like when you're on the 10 yard line neither your receivers nor your #1 or #2 tight-end's can't get open for s**t?

They need to upgrade at WR more than they need to upgrade Delanie Walker
They need to upgrade at WR more than they need to upgrade Delanie Walker

If you bring in a WR that scores 5 TD's or you bring in a #2 TE that scores 5 TD's, where exactly does the difference lie? Does the defense need to focus more on the WR or more on the TE?

No i'm saying there's a salary cap and other holes to fill.
I am a fan of Walker in the roles that he plays.

But the OP does point out some interesting stats and facts.