There are 216 users in the forums

Is it a slap in the face to suggest restructuring Willis contract? 2012 17.7M

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We got way off topic! For the record, I think Patrick is worth every penny of the 5 yr 50 m we are giving him. I hope he stays in SF his whole career
They will release a few guys like Spencer (3.3mil) and Chilo (I hope), so they should get a little bit of a relief in that area.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM ]
Originally posted by davidboutte:
We got way off topic! For the record, I think Patrick is worth every penny of the 5 yr 50 m we are giving him. I hope he stays in SF his whole career

Yeah, hopefully people understand you didn't mean he isn't worth the money or we should cut him.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/49ers-figure-to-have-30-million-in-cap-s?blockID=648076&feedID=5936

Here's the link if you missed it

Thanks for the PM.

"Linebacker Patrick Willis, selected to the Pro Bowl in each of his first five NFL seasons, accounts for the 49ers' highest cap number for 2012 at $17.7 million"

Wonder where Maiocco got that # from?

Gore 21: I think you are the only one that got my intention with this post. It coulda been a typo but Maiocco I considered a trusted source
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They will release a few guys like Spencer (3.3mil) and Chilo (I hope), so they should get a little bit of a relief in that area.

Spencer is one, chilo is a free agent so he is probably gone... Haralson could be cut and save like 2.2 million I think AB said. Doesn't seem likely because we don't have much depth but it could happen.
Gore 21: I think you are the only one that got my intention with this post. It coulda been a typo but Maiocco I considered a trusted source

Me too... I did answer the question though. I think Willis would renegotiate to free up space for this year if we wanted him to but like I said I worry about agents. They are the ones that twist things or can plant ideas in players heads. Not saying Willis is easily influenced but I think what happened with Crabtree had a lot to do with his family and agent. Might be over analyzing but the agent could say so you don't value my client?...maybe after his 5 years is up we go elsewhere... I don't think it's as simple as saying Patrick can you restructure to save us money to bring players back this year. I guess it depends on who is agent is and what type of person they are. Guys like Rosenhaus would spin it.

Spencer is one, chilo is a free agent so he is probably gone... Haralson could be cut and save like 2.2 million I think AB said. Doesn't seem likely because we don't have much depth but it could happen.

Haralson 2.7M, could be a restucture candidtate. If we keep Brooks, Haralson is a 2 down player or backup
Originally posted by Janitor:
AB83Rules is the guy to ask for details, but I don't think it will be a problem.

You don't ask your arguably best player to restructure.

Really? We asked Young and Rice to restructure all the time. Teams best players restructure to convert future money into guaranteed money by signing bonus all the time. Its the smartest thing an agent can have a player do!
I thought only base salary and prorated bonus count against the cap... 1.9mil base for P. Willis.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM ]
its time for the 49ers' best players to carry on the legacy of what made the mid-90's Niners perennial contenders: sacrifice personal (and arguably superfluous) financial gain to benefit the WHOLE team in allowing them to get the talent to get to the Super Bowl....

....the only caveat is that Young, RIce, et al did these selfless acts during the early days of the cap/free agency when the rules were "bendable"...the team paid for it later on by getting in over their heads by focusing more on hired guns rather than building through the draft
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]

Haralson 2.7M, could be a restucture candidtate. If we keep Brooks, Haralson is a 2 down player or backup

Soap is another one 4.9 mil (3.8mil base)
Originally posted by crabman82:
i hate it when fans do this. true he hurt a hammy, but he played week 17 AND had a week off before the saints game. he may have been 'knicked' but at what was week 19, which player isnt? i just chalk it up to very good player making a few plays on another very good player, it happens, we dont always have to make excuses, contrary to popular belief, patrick willis can be beat on some plays too.

Yeah, Graham is a miss match for a lot of corners in this league. Very few LBs IF ANY can cover Graham that well. He really only had a few catches that went right over WIllis' outstretched hand but it was still good coverage. Whitner went for the pick or that's 1 less TD and about 30 less yards. He had 5 for 103 and 2 tds... can't remember how much of that is on willis.

There were several plays during the season where Willis was asked to run down the seam with TEs in trailing technique for coverage. And in several instances the TEs made the catch - which was amazing because Willis was right on his man. It's had to blame Willis. Those TDs were great thows by the QBs - throws that were remarkable that the QB even let tried to stick it in there with Willis so tight -- and great catches. I never saw Willis (or Bowman) just getting hands down beat. Its football, at the NFL level guys make great plays against other great players.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by crabman82:
i hate it when fans do this. true he hurt a hammy, but he played week 17 AND had a week off before the saints game. he may have been 'knicked' but at what was week 19, which player isnt? i just chalk it up to very good player making a few plays on another very good player, it happens, we dont always have to make excuses, contrary to popular belief, patrick willis can be beat on some plays too.

Yeah, Graham is a miss match for a lot of corners in this league. Very few LBs IF ANY can cover Graham that well. He really only had a few catches that went right over WIllis' outstretched hand but it was still good coverage. Whitner went for the pick or that's 1 less TD and about 30 less yards. He had 5 for 103 and 2 tds... can't remember how much of that is on willis.

There were several plays during the season where Willis was asked to run down the seam with TEs in trailing technique for coverage. And in several instances the TEs made the catch - which was amazing because Willis was right on his man. It's had to blame Willis. Those TDs were great thows by the QBs - throws that were remarkable that the QB even let tried to stick it in there with Willis so tight -- and great catches. I never saw Willis (or Bowman) just getting hands down beat. Its football, at the NFL level guys make great plays against other great players.

Willis did more than what was expected out of a ILB. It's a credit to his athletic ability that the coach was depending on him to do that. Mike Singletary in his best days couldn't even do that in a sustainable way throughout the game.
Originally posted by susweel:
30 million in cap space should enough get everything we need done.

I think the 49ers are going to be looking to free up cap space to make some moves. The new staff finally got to evaluate the roster and I think they are going to be ready to make some moves this offseason to shape the foundation of the roster their way for years to come. I think they need about $5MM - $8MM more in room.

To get everything could be really tight. Enough to stay very competitve, yes. Without accounting for contract structuring of signing bonuses to prorate:

Cap Breakdown:

#1 - $5MM reserved for draft signing (too much?? Maybe its lower with new CBA limiting rookie salaries? I think the major affect of the new CBA is on top 20 salaries, so probably won't affect 49ers much).

#2 - $6.5MM for Dashon as Franchise tag

#3 - $6.5MM for Carlos Rogers (maybe too low??)

#4 - $7MM for Alex Smith (I wish it was more like $6MM, but some are saying its at least $8MM)

Right there is $24MM

#5 - $5MM for Brooks

#6 - $3.5MM for Ginn

#7 - $3MM for Morgan (I think he will want a 1 year deal so he can get fair market value next year)

THEN MOST IMPORTANT IMHO

FA WIDE RECEIVER -- $8MM per year deal?? I'd love to get VJackson, but DBowe is more likely the bargain 49ers will look for.

FA RG -- $4MM per year deal??
He might need to give some of that back to keep the team intact. About $2 - $3 million concession. He may do it as a team guy. And we need to make some cuts. Chilo, Shatae Spencer and a few others.
Share 49ersWebzone