LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

What is the Wiser Use of Cap Space On Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the Wiser Use of Cap Space On Defense

IMO, we're not going to improve much on defense. The money should go towards the offense because that is where we are going to see the biggest improvement. We will get more bang for our bucks there.
option 3: resign rogers and then sign mario
How about saying see-ya to Rodgers, Brooks, and Alex Smith; then, throw buckets of $$$ at Drew Brees?
Originally posted by 5280High:
Super Mario would be fun to have but IMO not a substantial upgrade. Who would fall off into coverage on a RB or TE between Aldon and Mario? A smaller 240-250 pnd OLB with good speed & hips would probably help more with our current roster. With Mario, it would be hard/impossible to run on us or have enough time for the long ball, but the defense would get eaten up in the intermediate passing game. But if this team had more range in its secondary, Mario would put this D on a legen...wait for it.... -Dary level.

No need to drop back, just rush Aldon Justin McDonald and Mario. Let Willis and Bowman cover them. Last year they rushed 4 linemen and rarely blitzed. Still, I want goldson, rodgers and Williams-just call me a greedy SOB , if you thought Rodgers and Goldson's interceptions good this year, it would be better in this scenario-not dissing brooks, but if a play can be made for him.....
Originally posted by strickac:
IMO, we're not going to improve much on defense. The money should go towards the offense because that is where we are going to see the biggest improvement. We will get more bang for our bucks there.

We can get a lot better. To paraphrase Jon Gruden, if we're so great on defense, why don't we score ? We could pick up the sack numbers, the 3 and outs, the TFLs, knockouts, etc. Time to string a few years of dominance so that we can become a great defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think Williams will go to a team where he's back to playing DE. I'm not sold on Culliver starting. I wouldn't mind Williams at all but I do see that happening.

This, he wants to play in a 4-3, period. If he wanted to stay in a 3-4, he might as well stay with the Texans.

When did he say that? I heard he wasn't saying which defense he wanted to play in. I know it's bleacher report, but this was the only thing I could find on Mario Williams thoughts on signing a contract with a team that runs a 3-4.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1059957-2012-nfl-free-agent-predictions-mario-williams-days-in-houston-may-be-numbered

Does Williams want to stay as a 3-4 offensive linebacker or would he prefer to move back to 4-3 defensive end? After all, that is the position he played all through college and in every season he's been in the National Football League until last year.

Williams has been mum on the subject to this point, but that's not really a surprise. He's always been the sort that did much more talking on the field than he does to the media.
[ Edited by Youngb on Feb 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Super Mario would be fun to have but IMO not a substantial upgrade. Who would fall off into coverage on a RB or TE between Aldon and Mario? A smaller 240-250 pnd OLB with good speed & hips would probably help more with our current roster. With Mario, it would be hard/impossible to run on us or have enough time for the long ball, but the defense would get eaten up in the intermediate passing game. But if this team had more range in its secondary, Mario would put this D on a legen...wait for it.... -Dary level.

Give this man a cookie. He's absolutely right.

The only way to make this work would be to transition the entire defense to a 4-3. We'd have Justin Smith and Isaac Sopoaga at the nose while Aldon Smith and Mario Williams at the defensive end positions. While that sounds pretty sexy, we'd have to completely change everything we do. It'd only work in nickel situations. From there, it would change up the way our linebackers position themselves and how our defensive line handles things. Sure, we'd have a better pass-rush, but who knows how it'd effect the run defense (which is THE best in the NFL). Then you'd be asking Navorro Bowman and Parys Haralson to be 4-3 OLBs, which is a significantly different task from what they've done their entire careers.

If we brought in Mario Williams in the 3-4, he and Aldon Smith would have the same role. Like 5280 said, who's going to drop back in coverage? If we're going to rush both of them all the time, might as well just be a 4-3 team. That's a huge change just for one player, who's bound to cost more than a pretty penny. I think we'd be better served by keeping Carlos Rogers and Ahmad Brooks.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Feb 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM ]

Tell me that ain't a bad MF defense...
Originally posted by oldman9er:

When you put it like that. It looks very MF bada$$!
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:

why are we switching to 4-3?

mario can play OLB him and aldon coming of the edges who;e ray mac and smith at DE?

we dont even have to rush more than 4 people

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:

mario can play OLB him and aldon coming of the edges who;e ray mac and smith at DE?

Hey bro, that sounds bada$$ also. I'm easy to get along with! Go Niners!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Because a 3-4 is predicated on disguising who the 4th rusher will be.

Screw that...there is NO question who the 4 rushers will be with Aldon and Mario lining up. That 4 man DL is the bestestis.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Replace Rogers with B.Carr, KC

Resign Brooks, If he walks, plug Haralson in there and draft a OLB
(Curry, Branch, Thomas)
Our strong side OLB needs to be able to pass rush and drop back
Free agent A.Spencer would fit well in that spot also

Tag or Resign Goldson

Resign Grant, Gooden, Spillman, Brock and Costanzo
[ Edited by cools on Feb 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM ]

Looks good, but won't happen. We are not going to switch to a 4-3 defense and change the whole playbook to accommodate one player. IF we are able to land Williams he is going to have to adjust his game to OLB in the 9ers 3-4 scheme.
As much as I would like to see Mario Williams in the red & gold I doubt it'll happen. I'd even be for not re-signing Brooks to get Williams; but if it means we can't re-sign C. Rogers also, for example, I say forget it. I say the right move would be for us re-sign all our guys. To the extent that we invest in FA it should, I think, be on the offensive side of the ball, particularly at the WR position. But again, not to the extent that we can't re-sign our own FA.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Looks good, but won't happen. We are not going to switch to a 4-3 defense and change the whole playbook to accommodate one player. IF we are able to land Williams he is going to have to adjust his game to OLB in the 9ers 3-4 scheme.
As much as I would like to see Mario Williams in the red & gold I doubt it'll happen. I'd even be for not re-signing Brooks to get Williams; but if it means we can't re-sign C. Rogers also, for example, I say forget it. I say the right move would be for us re-sign all our guys. To the extent that we invest in FA it should, I think, be on the offensive side of the ball, particularly at the WR position. But again, not to the extent that we can't re-sign our own FA.

(1) concede that it's highly UNlikely to happen

(2) Though this wouldn't be simply "accommodating one player." This would be accommodating all on our front seven.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Feb 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone