Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Alex Smith is our QB.
Gore and Hunter are the backs.
Morgan and Tedd Ginn will sign cheap
Crabtree is back.
Just a draft some wideouts.

Instead of paying for free agent wideouts. Lets upgrade the secondary
we can get a younger fa corner than Rogers like Tracy Porter.
Resign Brooks and Grant and franchise Goldson. Dump Haralson and sign Robert Mathis

or we could dump Brooks and sign Mario Williams. To hell with all this offense.
We could dominate again on defense. If Trent Dilfer and Brad Smith can win a SuperBowl, I know Alex Smith can with
that defense. What do you think?

This is a much more sensible approach in regards to going defense as opposed to spending money on some big name wideout. We can add a top flight receiver that MIGHT work out, or try as hard as possible to resign our own guys who want to be back and are looking forward to building what we have started.

I've been championing Robert Meachem or Mario Manningham on other threads, but if it costs us any of our key free agents (Goldson, Rogers, Brooks, Ginn, or Morgan), I'm against it. Each player did their part to make the 49ers the most complete team in the NFL. With the potential of being even better next season, this team can become one that is truly feared. Not because we are going to drop 40 a game on you. But because one or two of your players may be knocked out- literally.

Defense and special teams is the strength of the 49ers now and you don't weaken or dilute that strength for something/someone expensive that might work. So I'm on board if they bring as many, if not all of the key FA back, have money to extend guys like Navorro Bowman after next season, and use the draft to add some pieces to our offense. We are not in need of an Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. We just need a guy that can help us move the chains, keep drives alive (no. 1 ) and a deep threat (no. 2).
I love the defense. What they had done this year. But I can't stand to watch another year of this anemic offense. Please for the love God, get more receiver talent Harbaugh!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Forget about Mario Williams, the guy wants to play in a 4-3 system, this reeks of more fandom style fantasizing. It's not going to happen. But what they could do is add some major pieces through the draft, there's quite a bit of talent at both 3-4 OLB and 3-4 DE this year.

Yep. Mario Williams never really looked comfortable in the 3-4 as a stand up OLB. He is going to a team that runs the 4-3 or stays with Houston
is tracy porter even good? i remember him getting abused by VD all game
rather see our guys chris culliver and rogers do the job
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
We are not getting Mario Williams.

Killjoy.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is a much more sensible approach in regards to going defense as opposed to spending money on some big name wideout. We can add a top flight receiver that MIGHT work out, or try as hard as possible to resign our own guys who want to be back and are looking forward to building what we have started.

I've been championing Robert Meachem or Mario Manningham on other threads, but if it costs us any of our key free agents (Goldson, Rogers, Brooks, Ginn, or Morgan), I'm against it. Each player did their part to make the 49ers the most complete team in the NFL. With the potential of being even better next season, this team can become one that is truly feared. Not because we are going to drop 40 a game on you. But because one or two of your players may be knocked out- literally.

Defense and special teams is the strength of the 49ers now and you don't weaken or dilute that strength for something/someone expensive that might work. So I'm on board if they bring as many, if not all of the key FA back, have money to extend guys like Navorro Bowman after next season, and use the draft to add some pieces to our offense. We are not in need of an Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. We just need a guy that can help us move the chains, keep drives alive (no. 1 ) and a deep threat (no. 2).

You hit it straight on. I'd like to see Marcus Colston added, but if it means that we won't be able to sign our own FA's then I'd say foregt it. WR is a major hole, but it's a hole I feel we can fill in the draft. This year is DEEP in WR's and I've been championing drafting two, one in the 1st and another in a later round. Even 30 mil. in cap space has limits. This team is really close. The D is set. With a full offseason, returning staff, an addition of a few WR's in the draft I really do think that Alex Smith and JH will do some real damage to defenses in 2012, at least sustain drives and score a little more in the redzone. However, I do like the idea of bringing in Mario Williams for Brooks. Williams will be expensive to get, but so will Brooks to keep. With Willams and Aldon on the edges and Willis and Bowman in the middle our D will be the most unfare and scary defense for offenses to negotiate. Outside of that I think the draft and resigning our guys is the better option.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Killjoy.
PatrickJira411 just might be right. It is a real long shot. But we should try. He is about the only FA I think we should spend money on. The only thing with that is we might not be able to re-sign Rodgers if we can sign Williams. Franchising Goldson, resigning Rodgers and our other major FA's, and signing Williams is a lot to wish for. If Baalke can swing that he would be the GM of the decade.
No.
Interesting way to put it, Brooks will be expensive to keep, but Williams will be expensive also. This idea never crossed my mind, but will have to admit i am intrigued.
My main objection to the above posts are craps. I don' think he makes it back this yr if Coach can find equal value. I would love to see him packaged up with say our first pick (#30) and if we had to add Kap, fine by me...if we could take a run at Blackmon. Talk about disparity, paying craps #1 money for a #4 or #5 WR? Wow, did we ever get shortchanged on that deal. I see moving him a huge plus for this team. sure I will miss his circus catches, but will not miss him holding out, not playing his heart out, and certainly won't miss him disappearing in late season and playoffs. Call it what you want, but 3 passes in NO game hit him between the 1 and 5 and he had one catch for 3 yrds in NYG conf title game. He NEVER got open, nor did he throw one fake(that i saw) nor did he ever make a comeback move toward alex, nor did he ever juke or jive move. In short he came up woefully short, and his attitude is not in keeping with Harbaugh's. That is an opinion, but getting rid of him for a real #2 or #3 would be fine by me. Or if the blackmon thing worked out, better yet.

My money is on Coach and baalke to come up some gems for WR from places we've never heard of, and most of us are unaware of. Remember , Coach saw 8-10 yrs worth of WRs and will still be current on many from last several yrs. I love the idea of also getting a TE who plays like a WR (Fleener) because where he lines up doesn't matter....getting open and catching the ball does.

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Killjoy.
PatrickJira411 just might be right. It is a real long shot. But we should try. He is about the only FA I think we should spend money on. The only thing with that is we might not be able to re-sign Rodgers if we can sign Williams. Franchising Goldson, resigning Rodgers and our other major FA's, and signing Williams is a lot to wish for. If Baalke can swing that he would be the GM of the decade.

I didn't say he was wrong. I said he was a killjoy.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Interesting way to put it, Brooks will be expensive to keep, but Williams will be expensive also. This idea never crossed my mind, but will have to admit i am intrigued.
My main objection to the above posts are craps. I don' think he makes it back this yr if Coach can find equal value. I would love to see him packaged up with say our first pick (#30) and if we had to add Kap, fine by me...if we could take a run at Blackmon. Talk about disparity, paying craps #1 money for a #4 or #5 WR? Wow, did we ever get shortchanged on that deal. I see moving him a huge plus for this team. sure I will miss his circus catches, but will not miss him holding out, not playing his heart out, and certainly won't miss him disappearing in late season and playoffs. Call it what you want, but 3 passes in NO game hit him between the 1 and 5 and he had one catch for 3 yrds in NYG conf title game. He NEVER got open, nor did he throw one fake(that i saw) nor did he ever make a comeback move toward alex, nor did he ever juke or jive move. In short he came up woefully short, and his attitude is not in keeping with Harbaugh's. That is an opinion, but getting rid of him for a real #2 or #3 would be fine by me. Or if the blackmon thing worked out, better yet.

My money is on Coach and baalke to come up some gems for WR from places we've never heard of, and most of us are unaware of. Remember , Coach saw 8-10 yrs worth of WRs and will still be current on many from last several yrs. I love the idea of also getting a TE who plays like a WR (Fleener) because where he lines up doesn't matter....getting open and catching the ball does.
I agree about Crabs. His attitude isn't on board with this team from what I've seen. Thats why I'm big on drafting a WR in the first and another in a later round. I've seem all I need to see of Crabs and I don't think he's played no better than 3rd WR on our depth chart for all the reasons you stated and them some, especially if we draft a WR in the first. Plus, I think Morgan is our solid relyable #2 guy.

But I disagree that we should draft Fleener, at least not in the first. I have argued hard in other posts that this team needs are not at TE. (I won't re-argue it here.)
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I agree about Crabs. His attitude isn't on board with this team from what I've seen. Thats why I'm big on drafting a WR in the first and another in a later round. I've seem all I need to see of Crabs and I don't think he's played no better than 3rd WR on our depth chart for all the reasons you stated and them some, especially if we draft a WR in the first. Plus, I think Morgan is our solid relyable #2 guy.

But I disagree that we should draft Fleener, at least not in the first. I have argued hard in other posts that this team needs are not at TE. (I won't re-argue it here.)

I don't recall your posts, but in all honesty, our issues on offense were the inability to convert third downs and score in the redzone. ANY player with the ability to help in that department would allow our offense to upgrade significantly. Not to say that our receivers are world beaters (this core reminds me of the Philly trio of Todd Pinkson, James Thrash, and Freddie Mitchell or the Tampa receivers in the late 90s), but with Morgan in the lineup as well as Coby Fleener, this opens up Vernon Davis, more space for Gore and Hunter, and whatever receiver we draft this year. It really all comes down to who can come in, immediately contribute, and help our offense in moving the chains/sustaining drives, scoring in the redzone, and being a consistent deep threat. I think Coby Fleener fits the majority of that criteria more than any receiver that we could get at pick 30 and/or 60.

Enjoy it. This is the closest thing to Mario Williams we will ever have lol.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Hope everyone forgets Kyle Williams the PR and remembers Kyle Williams, the guy who scored a 56 yard TD off a 10yd comeback route vs the Rams, the guy who scored the first TD for us against the Cowboys, the guy who had one of the best stiff arms of the season.

You were able to come up with 3 good examples over the course of 18 games.

You could add about 1000 yards, 100 catches and 15 TDs to that short list of things he did well and he'd STILL be the guy who had the biggest hand in ruining a Super Bowl season.

This is the problem with many 49ers fans. They refuse to acknowledge when someone f*cks up (unless it's Michael Crabtree, of course, in which case people jump all over his ass).
[ Edited by 49erRider on Feb 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone