LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

49ers figure to have 30 Million in cap space

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If we want to resign our own guys, we will not have nearly enough money to sign any free agents.

These are the free agents most people seem to want us to resign:

Smith: $6-9 million
Goldson: $4-6 million
Rogers: $5-8 million
Morgan: $1-2 million
Snyder: $1-3 million
Ginn: $1-2 million
Brooks: $3-4 million
Costanzo: >$1 million

$21.5 million is the low based on these general numbers. $35 million is the high. It will likely fall somewhere in between to sign all of these guys plus we need money to sign draft picks. I personally think we can't sign everyone on that list, nor do I think we can afford to go after any high priced free agents
I know every thread turns into an Alex thread, but.......

If we have 30 million to spend this offseason, investing 1/3 of that (or more) on Alex is a HUGE mistake.
Would prefer to keep the defense intact over going ga ga for a receiver.

Think about who we're going to be facing next year. Possibly Manning 2x, Brady, Rogers, Stafford, Eli, Brees. That defense is going to have to be elite.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

If we have 30 million to spend this offseason, investing 1/3 of that (or more) on Alex is a HUGE mistake.

So what do you suggest we do?
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:

sign V Jax, let alex go and start CK.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Originally posted by Amir:

this
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Think about who we're going to be facing next year. Possibly Manning 2x, Brady, Rogers, Stafford, Eli, Brees. That defense is going to have to be elite.

Yeah but the WR position is crippling the offense. Opposing defenses have a very easy time figuring out what to do against the niners O right now due to the lack of a deep threat or general threat at all at WR. The team was forced to split Davis out a few times so they could have somebody lined up on the outside that can actually make a play. I would sacrifice a little depth on defense to get the offense a WR since it is such a glaring weakness.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
VJAX!

or we could get peyton manning and score more points!

Not re-signing the starting qb of a team which went 13-3 and was two bonehead plays away from the Super Bowl. That would be the HUGE mistake.

Particularly as we can afford him, it would send a disruptive message to the rest of the team.

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Amir:

this

Even the biggest Alex enthusiasts will admit that our team was based around our defense. Obviously, Alex's season had some to do with our success too....but if you had to choose THE core of the success of this team, its the D. Shouldnt be much of an argument.

With that being said, why would anyone be willing to sacrifice key parts of the core of our team, to overpay Alex? I have said repeatedly, that I have no problem bringing Alex back to see if he can improve on his best season as a pro. But that shouldnt be done at the expense of other parts of our team.

I dont think it is a reach to say that what Alex did can be replicated more easily than what the defense did.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by dj43:
Not for a guy that does not always play hard.

Trent Baalke said two years ago that the problem with FA was that you pay the very top market value for a guy who you hope will have an even bigger year for you than he has had in the past. He went on to observe that that is not what you get in most cases.

You don't make money betting on the long-shot exceptions.

vincint jackson supposedly has great work ethic i havent really seen anything bad about his work ethic

he only wanted more money because he outplayed his rookie contract

I like him when the ball is in the air but he has a lot of bad history. Sulking because you outplayed your contract is not an acceptable excuse, IMO. He signed the deal, now play. If you really want to make some big-time money, go out and play like a beast and trust that you will get paid on the other end, either by SD or someone else.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:

Not re-signing the starting qb of a team which went 13-3 and was two bonehead plays away from the Super Bowl. That would be the HUGE mistake.

Particularly as we can afford him, it would send a disruptive message to the rest of the team.
  • dj43

That is true in large part because YOU make it that way.
Originally posted by jason330i:

or we could get peyton manning and score more points!

Would rather keep Alex and most our defensive free agents then give Peyton 15M a year. Plus we cant afford to lock up 15M+ a year for 3 or more years.
Share 49ersWebzone