There are 273 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd advocate Harbaugh acquires Josh Johnson...he can be had for not a lot and would give Harbaugh a QB with some experience. JJ's a pretty good playmaker, too. Coach was lucky Alex stayed healthy all season...it might not have turned out so good if he'd been forced to throw Kap out there.

i dunno

that woud be a slap in the face to kaep if we get a younger qb who has ties to harbaugh

Especially if it challenges Alex's starting position. That's a huge no no.
Originally posted by 305Niner:

if you really think josh johnson can challenge alex for starting qb position you didnt watch the niners season or havent seen josh johnson play
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd advocate Harbaugh acquires Josh Johnson...he can be had for not a lot and would give Harbaugh a QB with some experience. JJ's a pretty good playmaker, too. Coach was lucky Alex stayed healthy all season...it might not have turned out so good if he'd been forced to throw Kap out there.

I do also. I'm not on the bring in Peyton bandwagon because of financial and health. As you see in the past, present, and future some QB's only flourish in a certain system. Josh maybe that QB. Coming back to Harbaugh system I think he can do well or at least be a solid backup.

if you really think josh johnson can challenge alex for starting qb position you didnt watch the niners season or havent seen josh johnson play

I have seen Josh Johnson play. Looked like Alex before Harbaugh but more athletic. He would be going back to a system he did well and knows so yes I do think he can challenge him. He will take the chance that Alex wont. Run when necessary.

If Harbaugh can make Alex like halfway decent, he can do the same for Josh. Especially since he was in his system before.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM ]
I have seen Josh Johnson play. Looked like Alex before Harbaugh but more athletic. He would be going back to a system he did well and knows so yes I do think he can challenge him. He will take the chance that Alex wont. Run when necessary.

If Harbaugh can Alex like halfway decent, he can do the same for Josh. Especially since he was in his system before.

if you think alex is inaccurate you wont like josh johnson one bit has nothing to do with not having harbaugh eithher alex was more acccurate even wih raye and sing coaching him than johnson who already had harbaugh
  • dj43

If Harbaugh can make Alex like halfway decent, he can do the same for Josh. Especially since he was in his system before.

This entire line of thinking about bringing Johnson here where "Harbaugh can do for him what he did for Alex Smith" makes no sense whatsoever for multiple reasons.

One, Johnson will cost the team a draft choice or two, depending on how much TB values him.

Two, Harbaugh already has draft choices tied up in Kaepernick. Why send more draft choices away without ever finding out what Harbaugh can do with Kaep.

Three, the 49ers also have Tolzien on the roster. He has shown enough talent to stick around the entire season. Harbaugh will be coaching him up as well.

The bottom line is that all the talk about Johnson is just another thinly disguised way to take shots at the 49ers current Top 10 quarterback.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
You know why he has a realistic shot? Because Alex Smith was benched in favor of Shaun Hill.
Who?
Exactly

The potential for a second year guy to outplay him is very real. If he does so be it. If not ..... LETS GO DEEEEEFENSE
RAH RAH, RAH RAH RAH
wasnt he beched for shaun ill after he got his shoulder injury?
I believe that was JTO.

before this year, Alex hadn't really won a true competition....first time was this past season versus Colin. He lost to Rattay his first year, even though he was getting more reps in OTA's than Tim. He lost to Shaun.....He wasn't in an open competition in those other situations I believe.

Sing said it himself.....they got rid of Shaun Hill (solid backup who could start) for a 7th round pick, and brought in David Carr.."So Alex didn't have to look over his shoulder".

Thats why this whole competition earned job whatever crap is a joke. Harbaugh already has his mind made up. He likes Alex so doesn't matter if Kaep outplays him. Alex is the starter day 1. It's like the person at work, does an ok job but gets ridiculous raises because upper management likes him.

I dont know what CK can do. Nobody does so I'm not saying he will take his job. I'm just saying I dont believe there is a real competition like stated in the past.

You are overlooking the fact that Harbaugh is an acknowledged QB expert. His scouting reports on QBs have been dead-on ever since his early years in Oakland. Therefore, it is only logical to conclude that Harbaugh DOES know what CK can do, and for now, it is not enough to seriously challenge Alex Smith as the starter. Harbaugh made an evaluation one year ago that Smith could be a winning QB in this league despite what all the nay-sayers said, and Alex proved him correct. Now JH is saying he is the long-term solution as well. So on what grounds do we say that Harbaugh is wrong?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
wow the alex haters are trying to throw everything at the wall hoping something will stick. the coach says alex is the man and i guess they are either unable or unwilling to accept that. Not to put the alex haters in a box but as dj said,, why is harbaugh wrong about this? And now, we are having this josh johnson blather.alex is a top ten quarterback, he led us to the nfc title game and some now think josh johnson should be brought in. sounds like some are getting unhinged
what Alex may lack Kaep has and what Kaep needs is some of Alex's conservatism and I think both are capable of the adapting to become a complete QB. I noticed a couple of things about Alex that looked very different from the old Alex. He no longer looked like a college freshman and the fact he took the beatings he did without injury says much of how he has built himself up. Also his passing is quite a bit different although Harbaugh supposedly has not changed Alex much. I never used to see Alex roll through his passes on follow thru like a pitcher and he doesn't seem to be leaning on his back foot. What strikes me as unusual is even if he is rushed and throwing as he did on occasion he is much more accurate. That is a bit hard to understand since that had been a long standing criticism of Alex. I think every QB grows into an NFL qb so I doubt Alex will regress until old age or injuries do him in.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
I like his attitude. I don't want a young player on the team who is happy with being backup.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rum53:
I like his attitude. I don't want a young player on the team who is happy with being backup.
he may not like it but that is what he will be for next year and maybe the year after as well. I am fine with our current quarterbacks, we got the best coach in the nfl and i am sure he will help the two kids learn and develop, i for one feel much better with our backups next year after a full year and off season of work under coach.This blather about josh johnson is just another way to spew alex hate. the names change but the motives are always the same
29th yards

11th ranked in points

last time i checked team with most points winn bot more yards

The Niners defense forced tons of turnovers deep in our opponents side of the field all season. Still, Alex Smith managed to throw only 17 touchdowns while David Akers broke the record for most points scored by any Niners player in team history.

How many times did we watch our offense squander an opportunity in the redzone after being set up by our defense (gift wrapped scoring drive). Niners defense would hand us the ball in FG range and after the passing offense flamed out David Akers would put 3 pts on the board. THAT'S why the Niners passing yards were so low yet the point total was respectable.

How often did the Niners win games this season when our defense DIDN'T force a turnover near our opponents redzone? Hint...not very often
The Niners won all those games because the defense kicked so much ass that it could be depended on to hand the Niners offense several short fields every game. Sure the Niners passing game was dog poo and we kept settling for field goals but our defense forced so many turnovers that it's didn't matter. We shouldn't expect that we can get back to the NFC Championship game without a much better passing attack.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The Niners won all those games because the defense kicked so much ass that it could be depended on to hand the Niners offense several short fields every game. Sure the Niners passing game was dog poo and we kept settling for field goals but our defense forced so many turnovers that it's didn't matter. We shouldn't expect that we can get back to the NFC Championship game without a much better passing attack.

I don't disagree with this at all, but Harbaugh was given no prep time. Personally I didn't expect anything anywhere near as good as we got. I do have higher expectations for the coming season, though.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
29th yards

11th ranked in points

last time i checked team with most points winn bot more yards

The Niners defense forced tons of turnovers deep in our opponents side of the field all season. Still, Alex Smith managed to throw only 17 touchdowns while David Akers broke the record for most points scored by any Niners player in team history.

How many times did we watch our offense squander an opportunity in the redzone after being set up by our defense (gift wrapped scoring drive). Niners defense would hand us the ball in FG range and after the passing offense flamed out David Akers would put 3 pts on the board. THAT'S why the Niners passing yards were so low yet the point total was respectable.

How often did the Niners win games this season when our defense DIDN'T force a turnover near our opponents redzone? Hint...not very often

yeah but when the defense is doing such a good job it makes more sense to settle for FGs because you need a less amount of points to win, and it's better to guarantee you get those points rather than getting greedy and gambling on stuff you don't need. Like it or not the defense is part of the team too, and they are better than the offense so the offense has to be tailored around what the defense does and how to compliment it best. With a full offseason of OTAs, TC, and player improvement that may change but for now that's just the way it is.
Share 49ersWebzone