LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I personally think that this is Alex at his best.. he's maxed out .. Like Vinny Testarverde (another former 1st pick) Alex Smith is a QB who can not carry a team. .. Aside from the last two series vs the Saints, he wasn't that much impressive. And against the Giants, it proves you (and Mike Singletary) that QB "is" the MOST important position in football.

We needed 30+ yards to give this year's best kicker (Akers) a chance to win the game, but Alex just continue to shy away from our WRs down the field. He never gave any of them a chance to make plays.

I disagree. His receiving options were atrocious and never gave Alex a chance to make a play. Outside of Vernon Davis, nobody showed up to play. When you have Kyle Williams starting and Brett Swain as your #3 (he hardly saw the field because he sucks) you're gonna have a hard time spreading the ball around. We saw what Alex was capable of with those 2 beautiful strikes to Vernon. We need more legit playmakers.

For 80% of the time this past season, the 49ers were playing with their best receiver on the field not even having participated in TC and another potential receiver still frustrated with an offense he had not yet come to understand. Behind that was a guy Miami let go for a bag of chips and another young receiver who had spent more time in the training room than the practice field. No wonder every pro draft analyst projects Baalke using the first draft pick on a WR.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i think he has a realistic shot, harbaugh will play the better man at qb

can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

I agree with you fully. I am not sure if it is that they really "hate" Alex Smith as much as it is that they have drawn their own line in the sand in thinking he could never be more than what he was playing with one arm. Now that he has shown himself to be one of the top 10 QBs in the league, their ego is making it very hard for them to admit they were wrong.

I will be very happy if CK plays well enough in the PS to assure us that it will not be a train wreck if Alex goes down with an injury.

Exactly. Two good QB's are always better than 1. Just ask.............the Niners...........of the early 90's.............
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Then, CK should've been a caddy for JH then instead of AS. I'm in no hurry to have CK start later this year. But for the following season afterwards, I fully expect him to be a legit starter and challenge Smith for the starting role.

One thing that is overlooked about Alex Smith is his intense competitive nature. Despite how badly he had been treated here, he came back to prove everyone wrong about him. His work ethic and intelligence is as high, or higher than anyone on the team. He will NOT be outworked by CK or anyone else on the team. Kaep will have to prove he is one heck of a QB to move ahead of Smith. If Kaep is learning more about the system this offseason and how it works, we can be sure Smith is not sitting on his laurels either. It will be a heck of a competition but my money is on Alex Smith both short and long term. The guy has shown more fire and guts than just about any body around.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Then, CK should've been a caddy for JH then instead of AS. I'm in no hurry to have CK start later this year. But for the following season afterwards, I fully expect him to be a legit starter and challenge Smith for the starting role.

One thing that is overlooked about Alex Smith is his intense competitive nature. Despite how badly he had been treated here, he came back to prove everyone wrong about him. His work ethic and intelligence is as high, or higher than anyone on the team. He will NOT be outworked by CK or anyone else on the team. Kaep will have to prove he is one heck of a QB to move ahead of Smith. If Kaep is learning more about the system this offseason and how it works, we can be sure Smith is not sitting on his laurels either. It will be a heck of a competition but my money is on Alex Smith both short and long term. The guy has shown more fire and guts than just about any body around.

Yes but if Kaep works as hard as Alex Smith, Kaep has the tools to out perform him on the field. So, Kaep doesn't necessarily need to outwork Alex. I think it is safe to say Alex will be the starter, but it isn't out of the realm to consider that Kaep will be ready sooner than most think based on Jim Harbaugh's reputation with QB's and what he did so fast with Alex Smith that people were making excuses to why Alex wasn't doing those before.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM ]
Would you want anyone on the team who didn't want to get a shot to start?

If he didn't have that kind of fire - Baalke/JH didn't pick the right guy.

Predition: He'll sit another year with increassed mop up duty when we are well ahead. By year 3 look for him to be ready. He's not ready now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Predition: He'll sit another year with increassed mop up duty when we are well ahead. By year 3 look for him to be ready. He's not ready now.
agree with wally big time! we need to sign alex asap to stop blather about smith not being the man. the kid will not beat alex out, as wally said, he is not there yet but I think he will improve enough to allow us to have a good backup in case something does happen to alex

Ironically, this is why we didn't acquire Rodgers. Alex was also quoted as saying he wasn't ready to start when he replaced Rattay...so, does that mean he isn't the kind of player we want?

If Kaep truly believed Alex is The Man, he would be saying he's working hard and learning and trying to get to that level every day. He wouldn't be a 2nd year QB from a gimmick offense saying he wants to compete for the starting job.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

Ironically, this is why we didn't acquire Rodgers. Alex was also quoted as saying he wasn't ready to start when he replaced Rattay...so, does that mean he isn't the kind of player we want?

If Kaep truly believed Alex is The Man, he would be saying he's working hard and learning and trying to get to that level every day. He wouldn't be a 2nd year QB from a gimmick offense saying he wants to compete for the starting job.

if i had miss lloyd and barlow as my "weapons" i would not want to start either

Only Alex Smith can turn him into Miss Lloyd. Alex didn't turn heads the following year with a 1700 yard and 40 catch RB either.

In 2005, Lloyd had 700+ yards on only 48 catches. Aside from 1 game, his numbers dropped after Rattay was replaced.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Exactly. Two good QB's are always better than 1. Just ask.............the Niners...........of the early 90's.............

Precisely!

he was 20 years old
of course he wasnt ready to start he was a project he looked good in his 2nd year made huge strides with our firs offensive coach (norv) and again showing those strides with with our 2nd offensive coach (harbaugh)

Hey partner, I'm not replying to argue with you were both apart of Niner nation ands we both want the 49ers to be Super Bowl Champs. But I am going to question you and state some axiom's if I may. Alex Smith has a competitive nature to win the starting job. But he lacks intense competitive nature when it comes to winning the game at all costs. He still exudes way to much timidity when it comes to squeezing the ball in tight holes. And as an all-time great QB by the name of Steve Young said pertaining to Alex Smith. "At the NFL level there are no open receivers". As many NFL experts and analasysts went back and watched the game vs the Giants. They all saw to many receivers that Alex Smith did not pull the trigger on. To win the game and put it out of reach. He plays his heart out when we are losing (which is good). But once we have a lead or the game is tied he tends to clothe himself in ultra conservative mode. Another thing is this is the first time in Alex 7year career that he won the starting job in trainning camp. And it happened to be against 2 rookie's .
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This, what the hell else is he expected to say?

"Uh, I must admit I thoroughly have fallen in love with carrying a clipboard on the sidelines, I now recognize that I have no further aspirations beyond that in football, believe me, I thought long and hard about it, I even had a long sit-down with my spiritual advisor, Glen Coffee."

Hahahahahahha!!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
alex needed the right coach and the right system. Norv proved that. we then had a long train wreck in regards to coaches, lack of direction from the front office and the injuries. I trace it back to coaching. You people who hate or doubt alex tell me,, one quarter back,,, one,,, who would have thrived in that f**ked up enviroment and joke stretch we had with nolan and that drama queen sing. i will await your response, with a straight face, you tell me who could have thrived. jesus, its really not that hard to figure out if you can see the forest through the trees. some of you act like you could not wait for this season to be over so you can push alex out the door and be perfectly willing to give the keys to a unproven kid. god
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:

Hey partner, I'm not replying to argue with you were both apart of Niner nation ands we both want the 49ers to be Super Bowl Champs. But I am going to question you and state some axiom's if I may. Alex Smith has a competitive nature to win the starting job. But he lacks intense competitive nature when it comes to winning the game at all costs. He still exudes way to much timidity when it comes to squeezing the ball in tight holes. And as an all-time great QB by the name of Steve Young said pertaining to Alex Smith. "At the NFL level there are no open receivers". As many NFL experts and analasysts went back and watched the game vs the Giants. They all saw to many receivers that Alex Smith did not pull the trigger on. To win the game and put it out of reach. He plays his heart out when we are losing (which is good). But once we have a lead or the game is tied he tends to clothe himself in ultra conservative mode. Another thing is this is the first time in Alex 7year career that he won the starting job in trainning camp. And it happened to be against 2 rookie's .
Bad examples, He didn't win the starting QB position in 06? not only that I don't believe we count the years under Singefartcell, And in the giants game how many receivers did he miss that game? Cossel said he missed 3, I think after dropping back to throw more than 30+ times and missing 3 targets isn't the end of the world, every QB misses his WR's from time to time. I think you are over analyzing things a bit, Alex is a competitor but he doesnt have the Brett Favre intence competitive nature, which I abosulty happy with, I dont want a QB like that and would rather Alex keep playing like the silent assasin he is.
Share 49ersWebzone