There are 194 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon Smith won NFL Alumni award for Linebacker of the Year.

didn't see this mentioned anywhere but aldon smith won the NFL Alumni Award for Linebacker of the Year beating out Clay Mathews and London Fletcher.
Patrick Willis won this award in 2010, 2009, and in 2007

NFL Alumni Award is voted on by retired NFL players. It's cool that these past great recognized the beast that is Aldon!. The award show was on NFL Network tonight.

These were the other winners:
Quarterback – Matthew Stafford (Lions)
Running Back – Maurice Jones-Drew (Jaguars)
Wide Receiver – Hakeem Nicks (Giants)
Lineman - Chris Long (Rams)
Defensive Back – Brent Grimes (Falcons)
Player of the Year - Maurice Jones-Drew (Jaguars)
Lifetime Achievment - Randall Cunningham
[ Edited by schmons on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Stafford
yeah i dont know what they were judging it from but I suspect it is more than just performance on the field.
That's a strange list. Is this for real?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Alumni
crazy senile f**ks
This list is too ridiculous. How do they expect people to take them seriously...maybe they're trying to use this to show they have dementia to get more funding from the NFL to go to retired players??? That's seriously the only logical explanation I can think of. The only one that's even close to being true is MoJo Drew (for RB, obviously not for Player of the Year).
They don't even know which team Brent Grimes plays for
MY MAN RANDALL CUNNINGHAM!!!!
Originally posted by YungAce:
They don't even know which team Brent Grimes plays for

Was gonna say I thought he was on the falcons?
I guess Howie Longs vote must hold a lot of weight.
did they have crackheads voting on these awards
This is just plain weird.
i didnt get it, the 3 lb's nominated were london fletcher (i think), clay matthews (who had a down year) and aldon, how the f**k are one of willis or bowman not a nominee over aldon?
Originally posted by RonMexico:
crazy senile f**ks

lol.

hey, brain damage might have gotten the best of them, but they actually recognized the ability. Maybe the AP are the ones with brain damage for selecting Von Miller.

Their whole basis of Miller deserving the award was that he played every down. But he also missed a chunk of games, so neither of them played a full season. Aldon Smith had 16 sacks in 18 games, while played on only 1/3 of the defensive snaps. including playoffs, you could argue that if Smith had been in on every down all season, he wouldve broken the all-time sack record...AS A ROOKIE.