LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

The 49ers have a very difficult road in future playoffs in the NFC.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we were 11th in points scored this season in nfl which is defintially decent when learning the playbook on the fly because of the shrtned offseason and frankly one of the worst recieving corps ive seen since maybe 2005 (where we were basically expansion team talent)

i see us making a huge push next year and surprise a lot of people with our offense

I agree that with a full off season and more time to expand the playbook we should improve dramatically! We improved dramatically in the redzone toward the end but we were horrific all season long on 3rd down! If we improve on 3rd Down and in the redzone were gonna be hard to beat! I really hope we draft the TE coby fleener from Stanford and add a receiver through FA! I think Jim and Trent know the time is now and should make the right moves! I couldn't be more excited about next season! It's gonna be a great year!
Tico, I will raise you one and predict not just a # 1 WR, but also 2 more starters, maybe UDFA, maybe late picks. Also I think the Fleener thing if we pull it off with 2 other starting WRs would be the perfect finishing touch. As for our #1 playing like a #5, bundle him up for a run at Blackmon, even if we had to add Kap. Now that would be a gutty thing to do. Craps is fine for circus catches, but has disappeared in other games, unfortunatley including playoffs. I honestly believe we end up with not one but 3 starting WRs on opening day and as long as we get value for him, I would really like to see craps peddled elsewhere. Maybe Philly where he and DeSean jackson can commiserate with each other. Besides, we already have a #4 and #5 in kyle and ginn, and don't need another #5 like craps.
Nobody said it would be easy...when you win, your schedule gets tougher, that's just how it is. If the Niners are to be a Super Bowl team, they'll just have to beat a number of good teams. It's the same for the opponents...they have to beat the Niners, and that won't be easy, either. Once the entire offense and defense is installed, we'll have a better feel for just how good this team can become. Along with that, quite a few re-signings, another good draft, a few key FA's and a crack coaching staff should equate to a lot of success. But, they'll have to earn it on the field...just like they did this past season. I have confidence they'll do just that. None of the teams with "elite" QB's have anywhere near the defense and ST's we have. I trust Harbaugh to get the offense where it needs to be to get to the SB.
  • dj43
Originally posted by leebert81:
Eli and Stafford are not elite QBs in my view. Good, but not elite.

Stafford is like a long-ball hitter who also strikes out 150 times a year. He will win you some and he will lose you some. He will hit the dramatic walk off home run and he will strike out and walk off just as often. His game management last season definitely left something to be desired.
  • dj43
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
if all the 49ers did was pass and alex managed to get 40+ tds and 5k yards everyone would be calling him the next HOF niner QB

stafford does it and he isnt elite because all they did was pass

he isn't elite because all he has to do is throw a jump ball to CJ. if the lions lose CJ that offense is done for, if they lose stafford(they have) it is still serviceable.
The Lions did pretty well with Shaun Hill.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by leebert81:
Eli and Stafford are not elite QBs in my view. Good, but not elite.

Eli had 4,900 yards and has 2 Super Bowl wins. Stafford had 5,038 yards and 41 TD's.....

I have to agree with leeber. Especially Stafford. He had a great year this yeear, but that doesnt make him elite. He hasnt even been to a playoff game yet. Manning is good, very good even, but not elite yet. IMHO, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, are all in a league of their own. Eli might be getting close, but i dont think he's there yet.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ninertico:
This!

I still say this season was like 83. Now in 84, you know what we did. I see 2012 the same way. Most of our team is returning. Our O playbook will expand, our D is intact and most important of all, IMO, is that all the coaches are returning. That nucleus will only make our team better by building off the rock solid foundation set to mold in 2011. Now that foundation will harden over the offseason giving us a solid team.

I expect our team to get better at WR and OG. We will have better depth at multiple positions. We will get that #1 WR. We will get that upgrade at ROG. We will get Brooks back or another young buck like Aldon to rotate along with Haralson.

We have plenty of good, solid options in FA AND the draft. Yes, this team will get better. And no, I am not worried about the next season.

We will continue where we left off!
You can bet the farm that the 49ers will get AT LEAST one big-receiver this off-season. FA is just totally up in the air with big question marks about Vincent and DeSean and the likelihood that Bowe will be franchised. Maybe Johnson from Buffalo. That will all fall into place in another month.

In the meantime, unless some unbelievable value falls to #30 (Cordy Glenn?), that pick will be a WR like Sanu or Fleener. I also fully expect them to use a 3rd or 4th on a speed guy.

We should all remember that Harbaugh's last two years in the league he was throwing to a young Marvin Harrison. Though Harbaugh ran a very conservative offense this past season, we can be sure he fully understands the importance of being able to keep up with other very good offenses in the NFC. He will not go into another season with the likes of Braylon Edwards as the #1 receiver.

I also do not think he will put a great deal of stock in the future of Crabtree. This is just my opinion but I believe Harbaugh see MC the way a lot of this board sees him, a very good #2 but not someone who will ever demand a double team very often. Also, he will be out of contract in another year, and with all the nonsense that has been going on, Harbaugh will not put much stock in re-signing him. JH will not take any chances in building up the offense.
I always have to laugh about the mention of elite QB's as the reason teams are good. If that were the case Montanna and Young should have won more SB's. This is a team game and generally the team is only as good as it's weakest link, not it's strongest. The Ravens don't go because a kicker chokes and prior to that play a wide receiver drops a touchdown. The 9ers don't go because of a backup kick returner. The Giants win because their defense was better than the Patriots. Lot's of elite QB's never even make it to the big game let alone win it. While it is better to have one it doesn't mean you win squat.
ie.:
Jim Kelly, Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, Marino, Tarkenton, Favre, P. Manning-2 SB titles total
Eli Manning-2 SB titles
and my favorite example Jim Plunkett on the trash heap with the Niners but later won two SB's with the hated Raiders. Makes me sick every time I think about it.
You still have to have a "Team" around them.
Originally posted by dj43:
This!

I still say this season was like 83. Now in 84, you know what we did. I see 2012 the same way. Most of our team is returning. Our O playbook will expand, our D is intact and most important of all, IMO, is that all the coaches are returning. That nucleus will only make our team better by building off the rock solid foundation set to mold in 2011. Now that foundation will harden over the offseason giving us a solid team.

I expect our team to get better at WR and OG. We will have better depth at multiple positions. We will get that #1 WR. We will get that upgrade at ROG. We will get Brooks back or another young buck like Aldon to rotate along with Haralson.

We have plenty of good, solid options in FA AND the draft. Yes, this team will get better. And no, I am not worried about the next season.

You can bet the farm that the 49ers will get AT LEAST one big-receiver this off-season. FA is just totally up in the air with big question marks about Vincent and DeSean and the likelihood that Bowe will be franchised. Maybe Johnson from Buffalo. That will all fall into place in another month.

In the meantime, unless some unbelievable value falls to #30 (Cordy Glenn?), that pick will be a WR like Sanu or Fleener. I also fully expect them to use a 3rd or 4th on a speed guy.

We should all remember that Harbaugh's last two years in the league he was throwing to a young Marvin Harrison. Though Harbaugh ran a very conservative offense this past season, we can be sure he fully understands the importance of being able to keep up with other very good offenses in the NFC. He will not go into another season with the likes of Braylon Edwards as the #1 receiver.

I also do not think he will put a great deal of stock in the future of Crabtree. This is just my opinion but I believe Harbaugh see MC the way a lot of this board sees him, a very good #2 but not someone who will ever demand a double team very often. Also, he will be out of contract in another year, and with all the nonsense that has been going on, Harbaugh will not put much stock in re-signing him. JH will not take any chances in building up the offense.

What kind of receiver do you want? Braylon Edward's best year (80 rec nearly 1300 yds) was better than Bowe's best year (81 rec 1159 yds) and that was the year Anderson was lighting it up so Braylon saw more balls. Then Anderson went in the dumps and Braylon got Sanchez who is not exactly a world beater. Edwards avg ypc has always been around 16ypc whereas Bowe is just below 14. And Bow is only 6'2". I don't get it. Edwards is an inch taller.

Edwards best year > V. Jackson's best year, Bowe's best year, D. Jackson's best year, and Johnson's best year

Just because a receiver didn't have a good year with Alex Smith at QB doesn't mean that receiver is not good enough or big enough. It has been a pattern with Alex Smith. Braylon Edwards was dealing with an injury but he has put up better bests than any of the receivers you mentioned and those other guys have had better QB's except for maybe Johnson.

Braylon is also bigger than any of those guys except for V. Jackson. I don't get this "Big WR" thing.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
This!

What kind of receiver do you want? Braylon Edward's best year (80 rec nearly 1300 yds) was better than Bowe's best year (81 rec 1159 yds) and that was the year Anderson was lighting it up so Braylon saw more balls. Then Anderson went in the dumps and Braylon got Sanchez who is not exactly a world beater. Edwards avg ypc has always been around 16ypc whereas Bowe is just below 14. And Bow is only 6'2". I don't get it. Edwards is an inch taller.

Edwards best year > V. Jackson's best year, Bowe's best year, D. Jackson's best year, and Johnson's best year

Just because a receiver didn't have a good year with Alex Smith at QB doesn't mean that receiver is not good enough or big enough. It has been a pattern with Alex Smith. Braylon Edwards was dealing with an injury but he has put up better bests than any of the receivers you mentioned and those other guys have had better QB's except for maybe Johnson.

Braylon is also bigger than any of those guys except for V. Jackson. I don't get this "Big WR" thing.

braylon showed a lot of promise before he got injured

made his size and speed completely irrelevent

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Joecool:
This!

braylon showed a lot of promise before he got injured

made his size and speed completely irrelevent

I would like to see us try to bring him back but it doesn't seem like that will happen. He would be the cheapest and BEST receiver available in terms of athletic ability...unless he wants nothing to do with Alex Smith after seeing his limitations first hand.

Also, Morgan is just as big as Bowe and looked as if he was going to have a breakout year. Our only problem at WR this year was the injury bug. That can happen to any FA we pick up.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I have to agree with leeber. Especially Stafford. He had a great year this yeear, but that doesnt make him elite. He hasnt even been to a playoff game yet. Manning is good, very good even, but not elite yet. IMHO, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, are all in a league of their own. Eli might be getting close, but i dont think he's there yet.
I swore I saw Stafford in the nfc wild card game at New Orleans this year!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

You mean he hasn't won a playoff game yet?
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
I swore I saw Stafford in the nfc wild card game at New Orleans this year!

and i swear i saw 2 reckless INT's to seal the game
Originally posted by crabman82:
and i swear i saw 2 reckless INT's to seal the game
Then I wasn't my imagination?
Share 49ersWebzone