There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why the 49ers win SB XLVII

unfortunately, i too, worry about Justin. He was such a force, played so hard for a bunch of loser coaches coaching a loser team with loser front office, and then he puts on a show i can't remember seeing in ages. Talk about his motor? How about his will and drive. Looking at what he did this yr, however, had to take something out of him. You just don't see a guy repeatedly flatten OTs and then reach over and sack QBs, all in the same move. He played his heart out this yr, for a team predicted to come in 2nd in the NFC West. He didn't care, he just wanted to dominate. This season he is a yr older, but he is also a yr wiser. Having a bona fide front 3, with bullrushing/ stunting/ 8 foot wing span OLB/DE on the line actually made it possible for Justin to excel this yr, better even than yrs past. That talent isn't going away, and Soap has finally "gotten it" and has become the force he was predicted to become yrs ago. I say even adding a yr, Justin is better this season mainly because his supporting cast is BEST IN THE LEAGUE. We have the BEST IN THE LEAGUE set of tandem ILBs, and now we have the amazing nasty, smash mouth D backfield that can play with anybody. Actually, as good as Justin was this past season, my bet he is better this yr, in that his other 10 brothers already know how to play "beat 'em up" football. I have no idea where the odds makers put us and don't care. For me this is the season to write it down...49ers take SB 47.
Some of you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves.
Great post. I love the optimism.

I'm confident the defense will be kept intact and will continue to dominate. The offense is only a few pieces away from being complete, and will benefit from a full off-season.

Seeing the team we should have beat win the Super Bowl should motivate everybody in the building. We were so close....this should have been our year. I'm sure the players and coaches feel the same way, and they will be ready to wreck havoc on the rest of the NFL.
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
Alex Smith is gonna throw 50 TDs next season.

THAT'S HELLA FUNNY.
  • Timma
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Go49erss:
I think we wasted Justin Smith all god like year. Don't think he can repeat what he did this year.

i think he can have a better year to be honest, dude has a motor. aldon smith will be better too, only person im concern about is frank gore, dude getting old and brittle.

I agree. Justin just seems to get better with age. He's still got a few years of this high level play. Now that he have Aldon attacking the right side too the Smith brothers are going to be too much to block.

Now Frank is the one I'm afraid we've wasted away. Now that we have almost all of our pieces in place with Harbaugh calling the shots, Frank is now in decline. He has another year or two but he will never be what he once was. I hope we get him his ring soon like the Steelers did for Bettis.
Timma, agree, but when you have a team bereft of talent at all positions, it is hard to start without a RB. Frank has been that guy, and ALL of us would love to see him get his ring as a way of thanks for all he has done. Basically, when building a team , one has to start somewhere, and building lines first( Lombardi, Walsh), would have been the way to go. Taking Frank before we had an OL was, in fact, a waste. It was akin to buying Nate for $80 mil or whatever it was, when we had no other D player who could help him. I think chances are way better than even that frank finally gets his ring this season.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Timma, agree, but when you have a team bereft of talent at all positions, it is hard to start without a RB. Frank has been that guy, and ALL of us would love to see him get his ring as a way of thanks for all he has done. Basically, when building a team , one has to start somewhere, and building lines first( Lombardi, Walsh), would have been the way to go. Taking Frank before we had an OL was, in fact, a waste. It was akin to buying Nate for $80 mil or whatever it was, when we had no other D player who could help him. I think chances are way better than even that frank finally gets his ring this season.
nolan tried to build an oline but failed, remember he paid jonas "GLASS" jennings tons of money for sitting on the bench after a hang nail. gore happened to fall to us in the 3rd and it was a great decision. you get a 1st rd talent that dropped because of injuries so it was a no brainer. its certainly not gores fault he was drafted to a team that had inept coaching his great yrs which is truly sad because he deserves to be the gore of 06 when he finally has pieces around him. i hope baalke looks for a rb late because i dont like dixon tap dancing for his size and you know gore is not gonna last all yr, at least make it 50-50 gore and hunter
Fred, no question that a half and half Gore/Hunter would be our best bet this yr. I see us shedding Dixon and bringing in a great potential RB, maybe late, maybe even UDFA. As for building a line with jonas glass, that was an unfortunate choice by a guy with no real feel for talent evaluation(includes health issues, head cases, etc.). We would have been miles better to draft all OLs with our first 3 picks each yr until we got a legitimate bunch of guys. THEN the big deal is to be able to coach an OL and we all have seen how well that works out with a Defensive HC. It doesn't.

After building the OL, next step should have been to build a DL. Instead we take #1 QB in draft, with no one to protect him and worse, no one to teach him. Additionally , a huge disadvantage of having a DC as HC is that they can't call O plays worth a tinker's damn. Drafting position players before LINES are built is a sure fire loser. On a team with NO talent, that is what happened with noln, and continued with BM(bigmike).
  • Timma
  • Veteran
I can see us getting rid of Dixon. He's not that good at RB and his ST's are decent. He's just not worth taking up the 3rd RB spot on the roster. We need another RB that is going to be an almost every down back. Frank is aging and Hunter is more of a change of pace back. If Dixon is goes it will be sad to see our biggest cheerleader gone.
I think Dixon's gone for sure next season. Cut.
Originally posted by Go49erss:
I think we wasted Justin Smith all god like year. Don't think he can repeat what he did this year.

Justin Smith keeps getting better and better and has a non-stop motor. He never gives up on the plays, and being one step to the super bowl will only ignite his play much more.

We just need to retain guys like Rogers, Morgan, Ginn, Costanzo, Brooks, then decide on whether to give Alex a big contract, if so we better make it so we can get out if he flops. Goldson likely gets tagged, and Snyder may leave for a better job, we need to upgrade at RG.

Spencer is gone, Reggie Smith isnt returning, same for Madieu Williams. Spillman is a RFA and we better keep him, Grant should be tendered at the 2nd round level.
Quote of the 2011 season: "We don't suck!" - Joe Staly re the OL.

With a full TC and a 2nd year of these 5 guys being together, I expect more sophistication and even better execution by the OL in 2012. Whomever lines-up at RB in 2012 is going to be effective behind these horses. And if somebody tries to cheap shot the QB or RB, Anthony Davis will clean that up..
AB, just a question. If he finally gets a great HC/OC/ QB coach, and he does well, how do you envision him flopping once he gets the big contract? I think THIS was the yr to see if with an OL , an offensive HC, who also calls plays and works with Qbs, This would have been the yr he didn't make it. I think alex after being maligned for 6 yrs wanted in the worst kind of way to prove his worth. Remember, and many of us forget, he got us to 14 Ws with no #1, #2, nor #3 WR, and despite a few games of circus catches by craps, he just flat azz disappeared in playoffs. Three passes in saints game, between the 1 and the 5, and he drops them all. That's a #5 WR, maybe, but alex got us 14 Ws with virtually no WRs. That in itself is an amazing feat. I certainly understand your concern re: contract issues, but my bet is alex will be ok with a contract favoring 49ers.
I have a good feeling we will draft OL and WR high and find talent later for the Defense as a boost. Harghball knows what to look for and cant wait to see what pieces he adds in the off season.
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
Alex Smith is gonna throw 50 TDs next season.

68TD's and run for another 21