There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If you had to pick one 49er team...

• Envy
  • Veteran
94 was an amazing team who could have beat anyone....ever.....except for the 89 team.
1989 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 14-2

What, you want to bet against Joe Montana and Jerry Rice? This team gets our nod due to its excellence on both sides of the ball, mind-boggling statistics and perhaps the most dominant postseason run in NFL history. This team gave us Montana, Rice, Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott and Charles Haley in their primes. It also boasted the largest margin of victory in Super Bowl history, scoring 55 points against the NFL's best scoring defense.

This team had a future Hall of Famer, Steve Young, as its backup quarterback. Montana recorded the third-highest single-season passer rating in NFL history – more than 20 points higher than the No. 2 mark that season. Rice was unstoppable, as he and John Taylor teamed for 142 receptions, 2,560 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Former defensive coordinator George Seifert seemed to push all the right buttons in his first season at the helm, following Bill Walsh's retirement. His offensive coordinator was Mike Holmgren, who would go on to guide three Super Bowl participants as head coach. San Francisco won 13 games by double digits, including playoff scores of 41-13, 30-3 and 55-10. The 49ers also went 8-0 on the road. Their two losses came by a total of five points, and both of those opponents won at least 10 games. To date, only three members of this team are enshrined in the Hall of Fame, which speaks to the value of a tremendous supporting cast that included Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Jesse Sapolu, Michael Carter, Pierce Holt, Kevin f*gan, Keena Turner, Eric Wright, Tim McKyer, Matt Millen and Bill Romanowski.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
1989 Team Montana at the Height of is powers Rice in Prime, Taylor blowing up, Craig tearing it up...just a dominating team.

oh yeah almost forgot we had Lott in the Backfield knocking fools out too...

The 49ers offense was just as dominating as it was during the previous regular season. Quarterback Joe Montana threw for 3,512 yards, 26 touchdowns, and only 8 interceptions, giving him what was then the highest quarterback rating in NFL history (112.4). Montana also rushed for 227 yards and 3 touchdowns, and earned both the NFL Most Valuable Player Award and the NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award. Wide receiver Jerry Rice had another outstanding season, catching 82 passes for 1,483 yards and 17 touchdowns. Running back Roger Craig was the team's leading rusher with 1,054 yards and 6 touchdowns, and he recorded 49 receptions for 473 yards and another touchdown.

But other stars on the 49ers offense began to emerge, enabling the team to spread the ball around. After being used primarily as a punt returner during his first 2 seasons, wide receiver John Taylor had a breakout season, catching 60 passes for 1,077 yards and 10 touchdowns, while also returning 36 punts for 417 yards. Tight End Brent Jones recorded 40 receptions for 500 yards. Fullback Tom Rathman had the best season of his career, rushing for 305 yards and catching 73 passes for 616 yards. Even Montana's backup, quarterback Steve Young had a great year, throwing for 1,001 yards and 8 touchdowns with only 3 interceptions, while also rushing for 126 yards and 2 touchdowns. With all of these weapons, San Francisco's offense led the league in total yards from scrimmage (6,268) and scoring (442 points). The 49ers Defense was ranked #3 in the NFL. Three starters from the Defense made the 1989 All-Pro Team: (Ronnie Lott, Don Griffin, and Michael Walter)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_San_Francisco_49ers_season

I space aliens were going to destroy the earth unless we could beat them at a game of football, this is the team we would want to represent us!
Guess who is #1 on the super bowl winner power rank:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1047972-power-ranking-every-super-bowl-winner-in-nfl-history

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by facestabber:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Anyone who says 94 must be too young to remember the 80s. That 94 team had problems on defense. I would have to go with the 89 team, followed closely by 84.

I understand where you are coming. I think the problem was more of continuity and not talent. A d-line of Stubby, Young, Brown, Harris, Jackson too bad Dent didnt play. Then add Plummer, Norton Woodall. And then the four DB's. 94 probably wasnt the best but something about that year makes me want to pick them.

Thats the thing they lacked....a dominant pass-rusher. Fred Dean and Charles Haley filled that role in the 80's.

Agreed on the pass rushing front. Why did Tim Harris have to go again???

Plus as much as I loved all the premier names (Dent, Mann, Jackson), they were no longer superstars, just good players hungry for the ring. Only Deion and Ken Norton Jr. were names that were at the very top of their game.

Maybe the Eagles should get tape of '94 49er season to see how a "dream team" is supposed to behave.
The Eagles that year also showed the 49ers, how to handle being a "Dream Team"
1989 49ers ftw.

That team was insanely good.
89 or 94, leaning towards '94 despite the fact that Montana wasn't QB. Young was just on fire in 94, turning in one of the greatest QB seasons ever. WRs, TEs, and RBs were supremely talented, and both backs were threats catching balls out backfield. The Defense was just nasty. Look at the names. A young Stubblefield and BY with HOFer Ricky Jackson. Norton, Plummer, and Woodall at LB. Defensive Player of the Year Neon Deon and Eric Davis at CB, with Hanks and McDonald at S. There was no weakness on that 94 team. Too bad it only really stuck together for that one year; had Sanders and Waters stayed, they probably could have made another SB or two.
It's like asking which one of your children you like the most.
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by facestabber:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Anyone who says 94 must be too young to remember the 80s. That 94 team had problems on defense. I would have to go with the 89 team, followed closely by 84.

I understand where you are coming. I think the problem was more of continuity and not talent. A d-line of Stubby, Young, Brown, Harris, Jackson too bad Dent didnt play. Then add Plummer, Norton Woodall. And then the four DB's. 94 probably wasnt the best but something about that year makes me want to pick them.

Thats the thing they lacked....a dominant pass-rusher. Fred Dean and Charles Haley filled that role in the 80's.

Agreed on the pass rushing front. Why did Tim Harris have to go again???

Plus as much as I loved all the premier names (Dent, Mann, Jackson), they were no longer superstars, just good players hungry for the ring. Only Deion and Ken Norton Jr. were names that were at the very top of their game.

Maybe the Eagles should get tape of '94 49er season to see how a "dream team" is supposed to behave.
The Eagles that year also showed the 49ers, how to handle being a "Dream Team"

Funny irony....good catch.

We've had interesting battles with Philly. In '89 they sacked Joe like 8 or 9 times, and he still threw 4 TDs in the 4th quarter to win the game.

And then this year with the comeback.
Originally posted by merm49:
89 or 94, leaning towards '94 despite the fact that Montana wasn't QB. Young was just on fire in 94, turning in one of the greatest QB seasons ever. WRs, TEs, and RBs were supremely talented, and both backs were threats catching balls out backfield. The Defense was just nasty. Look at the names. A young Stubblefield and BY with HOFer Ricky Jackson. Norton, Plummer, and Woodall at LB. Defensive Player of the Year Neon Deon and Eric Davis at CB, with Hanks and McDonald at S. There was no weakness on that 94 team. Too bad it only really stuck together for that one year; had Sanders and Waters stayed, they probably could have made another SB or two.

'94 was great no doubt. It was cool seeing a dream team that was actually doing it's thing. It was probably the most dominant 49er team during regular season play that I've seen.

My major issue with the '94 team was that we were literally just a few guys away from not being contenders anymore. In '95, losing Ricky Watters was huge, Deion....

The '89 team leaves no doubts about going to war with any franchise, any era. In my opinion the reason why '90 was not as good as '89 mostly had to do with Craig not being what he used to be with his knee injury. They talked about the NYG '90 defense, but the SF '90 defense was outstanding holding those guys to only field goals that year.

Also back in those days, there were some real tough NFC foes that could be a real chore to beat. They say you need elite QBs today......in truth, you needed them much more IMO back then. And when you talk about elitism, I like Joseph over Steven.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just wonder how many of those '94 over '89 guys actually wanted the '89 team play.

I didn't watch the '84 team play and have a hard time knowing how great they really were..........which is why I need to start watching.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
It's like asking which one of your children you like the most.

this
Would the 89 team go 19-0 with Walsh at the helm?
84 hands down. Montana was brilliant, I liked the surgical comment, great running game, defense was insane. I'd put those guys against anyone.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Would the 89 team go 19-0 with Walsh at the helm?

I doubt it. Walsh teams came out flat on occasion too.