There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If the 49ers can't reach a deal and franchise Goldson, what is his trade value?

Safeties are not as valuable as CBs, hence it is unlikely any team would give up a 1st for him. Some very good safeties were 2nd round picks. Goldson has had one good year plus one good game. I doubt another team would be willing to give more than a 3rd.
Why wouldn't we just franchise the guy? He's had one great year in his career but he seems to fit the Harbaugh/Vangio defensive mold. In my mind, franchising Goldson is a no brainer. If he performs at a similar level next year, you sign him long term. If not, you have an out. The tricky question is what to do about Carlos Rogers.
I dont believe it giving up players who play their heart out and come every sunday... Goldson is a good player who we need to stick around. The only thing is if he is wanting to much and putting himself before his team then red flags are up. Im not saying he shouldnt get paid what he is worth and he should but there has to be a balance. Franchise tagging him might be a good idea but the way Ive always looked at it is that player the person the team is built around or is he someone we cannot lose. Pay the man what he is worth... if he is asking for to much and we know we cant replace him in the free agency then that is where it gets sticky. You franchise him it will help us alot next year but it will let others know that you can too get what you want if you do it this way.

The life in the office for coaches, lol

Red and Gold
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by crabman82:
weddles contract is the bench mark his agent will point to, dude is gonna get paid

I agree that might be the starting point I just don't think the niners would pay him 8 million a year. If we don't, somebody else might, in which case we would lose him. I like Goldson and hopefully we can come to a reasonable long term contract. Something in the range of 5 years 32.5 mill might be fair for all parties.
I would play Goldson in the same neighborhood as Donte Whitner (3yrs $11.25 million) 5 yrs 18.75 million.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I think a franchise tag is a 1st and 3rd .


you are right but there is two kind of Franchises one is the one you mentioned and the other is the exclusive one wich requires two 1st rounders or whatever you deal for .
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by crabman82:
weddles contract is the bench mark his agent will point to, dude is gonna get paid

I agree that might be the starting point I just don't think the niners would pay him 8 million a year. If we don't, somebody else might, in which case we would lose him. I like Goldson and hopefully we can come to a reasonable long term contract. Something in the range of 5 years 32.5 mill might be fair for all parties.
I would play Goldson in the same neighborhood as Donte Whitner (3yrs $11.25 million) 5 yrs 18.75 million.

He's going to want more unfortunately.
Originally posted by Youngb:
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by crabman82:
weddles contract is the bench mark his agent will point to, dude is gonna get paid

I agree that might be the starting point I just don't think the niners would pay him 8 million a year. If we don't, somebody else might, in which case we would lose him. I like Goldson and hopefully we can come to a reasonable long term contract. Something in the range of 5 years 32.5 mill might be fair for all parties.
I would play Goldson in the same neighborhood as Donte Whitner (3yrs $11.25 million) 5 yrs 18.75 million.

He's going to want more unfortunately.

Yeah he turned down 5 yrs 25 million dollars last year, I don't see why he would take less. I don't see why people want to lowball our players(Alex for 1 year, Rogers for 2 or 3 years, Goldson for like 3-5 mill per year, etc). Without these guys we maybe don't even make the playoffs.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Youngb:
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by crabman82:
weddles contract is the bench mark his agent will point to, dude is gonna get paid

I agree that might be the starting point I just don't think the niners would pay him 8 million a year. If we don't, somebody else might, in which case we would lose him. I like Goldson and hopefully we can come to a reasonable long term contract. Something in the range of 5 years 32.5 mill might be fair for all parties.
I would play Goldson in the same neighborhood as Donte Whitner (3yrs $11.25 million) 5 yrs 18.75 million.

He's going to want more unfortunately.

Yeah he turned down 5 yrs 25 million dollars last year, I don't see why he would take less. I don't see why people want to lowball our players(Alex for 1 year, Rogers for 2 or 3 years, Goldson for like 3-5 mill per year, etc). Without these guys we maybe don't even make the playoffs.
How much was his one year deal with the Niners last year? I don't believe it was over 5 million for one year. Goldson is not that great, he's not Ed Reed; therefore, I wouldn't pay him like he is.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
How much was his one year deal with the Niners last year? I don't believe it was over 5 million for one year. Goldson is not that great, he's not Ed Reed; therefore, I wouldn't pay him like he is.

I think it was 1 year 5 mil. And he showed out.

I'm all for the franchise tag. I love keeping players in contract years as long as possible.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nothing he's a free agent


Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I think he means if we slap the franchise tag on him
Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

Uh...happens all the time Sparky. It wouldn't work the following year because they WOULD NO LONGER BE FRANCHISED.
Originally posted by Engleburger:
I think it was 1 year 5 mil. And he showed out.

I'm all for the franchise tag. I love keeping players in contract years as long as possible.

it was a $2 million dollar deal. To answer this poster's question, i say he's worth a 3rd round draft choice.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nothing he's a free agent


Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I think he means if we slap the franchise tag on him
Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

No team is stupid enough to trade for a huge 1 year franchise contract while also likely giving up multiple draft picks.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nothing he's a free agent


Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I think he means if we slap the franchise tag on him
Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

No team is stupid enough to trade for a huge 1 year franchise contract while also likely giving up multiple draft picks.

Again...happens all the time. Typically, the other team doesn;t want to give up the franchise compensation, so they make a deal with the original team for something less than the tag amount and then the deal is contingent on the new team coming to a financial agreement with the player on a long term contract.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Why wouldn't we just franchise the guy? He's had one great year in his career but he seems to fit the Harbaugh/Vangio defensive mold. In my mind, franchising Goldson is a no brainer. If he performs at a similar level next year, you sign him long term. If not, you have an out. The tricky question is what to do about Carlos Rogers.

Rogers wants to play for the 49ers even offered a "hometown discount"
Goldson IMO wants to play for money.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nothing he's a free agent


Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I think he means if we slap the franchise tag on him
Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

No team is stupid enough to trade for a huge 1 year franchise contract while also likely giving up multiple draft picks.

I do not know where all of the 49ers fans with any sort of contract knowledge are in this thread. Both Dashon and Carlos have a great trade value right now, they are both in the top 5 in their position right now, if not better. If we knew we could not sign them both to long-term contracts due to money issues, we could definitely sign one, and franchise and trade the other. Plenty of teams do this thing every single year with great players (although i did read in a forum that in the new cba, you can't franchise a player and trade him but I could not find any evidence of that elsewhere)

Goldson's value is probably around 7-8mil/year right now while Rogers is at 9-10/mil year (at least for both of them). These types of players don't go on the market very often, and we could definitely, imo at least, get a 2nd rounder for either, and more likely a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th.