There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If the 49ers can't reach a deal and franchise Goldson, what is his trade value?

I'm just wondering honestly. I know you're not getting a 1st rounder back for him, would a 2nd round pick be a possibility, or a 3rd and 5th or 6th rounder?
Nothing he's a free agent
$0000000000000000000000.00
Originally posted by D_Niner:
$0000000000000000000000.00

this
I think he means if we slap the franchise tag on him
They franchise him. End of story.
I think a franchise tag is a 1st and 3rd .
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

This, holy s**t. If you put a franchise tag on somebody, the team doing so can negotiate a deal with any team looking to get him, or at least that's what my understanding is, not sure why people are getting f**king snarky.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I think a franchise tag is a 1st and 3rd .

Yes, but I thought there was a way to accept lower compensation, you franchise the guy to make sure you keep him, but then work out a deal to accept say a 2nd rounder as compensation, I think I remember some teams doing that.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
people are in didnt read mood today....

If we franchised Goldson and he said he was bolting after the season no matter what. Would we then trade him and if so how much would we get for him?

I'll the first to reply seriously with a 4th rounder. Only had 2 good years and especially given the immense success of the defense that his success was a product of the system.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

Are you serious? It's always a serious thing to consider, as the Packers are likely doing with Matt Flynn. Biggest example in recent memory: Matt Cassel. Of course, there aren't many examples, simply because trades just don't happen very often in the NFL, especially with players that have franchise tag value
If we franchise Goldson he would have no choice but to either sit out the season or play. In any event, tagging a player signals to other teams that, among other things, that team has no intention on letting him go because his need to the team is that great, much less trade him. Therefore, there is no value to be assessed because he can't hit the market.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Are you serious? It's always a serious thing to consider, as the Packers are likely doing with Matt Flynn. Biggest example in recent memory: Matt Cassel. Of course, there aren't many examples, simply because trades just don't happen very often in the NFL, especially with players that have franchise tag value
Not sure if you agree or disagree with me. Matt Flynn isn't franchised. Cassel, on the other hand, was, I think, a strategic move on the Patriots part. They had what many thought was a budding star and knew some team would over pay to get him. GB could be using that same strategery. On the other hand, Goldson is a different matter. He has played himself into the top 2 or 3 FS in the NFL (I would argue the best). Once that franchise tag is slapped on him all trade talk is over unless a team comes with 2 #1's and a #2 to boot.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

A team will frachise a player to get compensation instead of just letting them go. The Pats did it with Cassel a few years ago. Greenbay will probably do it this year. If Greenbay puts a franchise tag on Flynn they definitely will trade him because they'd have too much money tied up at the QB position.