There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011 Season Post-Mortem: Thoughts after watching the season and looking forward.....

Brooks is a shaky situation as well. He'a easily the best OLB on the team, and there is no depth behind him at all. What if come next year and Aldon still can't play OLB? Then they have massive hole in the front 7. I don't think it should take much to sign Brooks.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Brooks is a shaky situation as well. He'a easily the best OLB on the team, and there is no depth behind him at all. What if come next year and Aldon still can't play OLB? Then they have massive hole in the front 7. I don't think it should take much to sign Brooks.

This is a very good point! We didn't know if Brooks could hold up a whole season until he did it...same can be said for Aldon. There is a very good chance that if Aldon is a full time (FT) starter, he is going to wear down significantly and his explosion and quickness will suffer d/t having to play the run much much more and assume some minor coverage responsibilities as well. When he was in the game, his primary focus could be on getting after the QB. When you are a FT starter, you need to account for the run and screen pass en route to the pass rush. That's why I don't think Brooks is getting enough love/support around here for the job he did for the entire season. We certainly need to start working Aldon in more as a FT starter, sign Brooks LT and add another one or two OLB's to the mix to keep these two fresh all year.

THEN, VF can start working these two off each other more and creating mismatches along the OL instead of virtually playing them straight up all year like he did this year. I saw wrinkles of this this year when both were used sparingly, but very effectively, on the DL and when Brooks moved inside to TED and Smith played SAM and they stunted off each other. It resulted in a sack every single time.

As far as Brooks signing, he is going to get paid contributing significantly to the #1 defense in the NFL and history making run-stopping team and his sack numbers alone plus pressures/hits, etc. are probably top three for the SAM position alone. He will get paid...hope he stays for the home town/team discount! But don't be surprised if he is offered some serious $ by others...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Great comments as always, Marvin....

I would certainly agree with you on the urgency of re-signing Carlos Rogers. A must.
Also, considering the lack of depth at OLB and the likelihood of losing Grant, I think re-signing Brooks is also a must.

Hard to say at this point how the coaching staff feels about Kyle Williams. He has some potential as a slot guy so I would think they would bring him back and have him concentrate on his wideout duties.

As well as the DL played this year (lights out), let us not forget that next season, J Smith will be 33, Soap will be 31, and Ray McDonald will be a rather old 28.(history of knee problems). Now, they do have RJF, Dobbs, and Ian Williams as depth but my feeling is that the team needs to start re-tooling at DL this off-season to keep the older guys fresh next season and to add some young talent to the mix. Still like Jared Crick at the end of the first round even with the big need at WR.

Given the level of need at wideout, I'm thinking the Niners absolutely need to add a proven FA wideout. There are no guarantees in the draft. Even if they move up and take a guy like Floyd, rookie receivers don't tend to make a big impact in the NFL. I think the team would be smarter to get a guy like Manningham in free agency....not a real expensive guy but a player that could take the pressure off Crabtree and be a solid red zone target.

Finally, completely agree that the Niners need to add a good RB in the off-season. They can't go into next season thinking that Gore can carry the load any more. He can be a contributor sure, but he took a beating this year (coming off a serious injury) and neither Hunter nor Dixon are every down backs. Perhaps they can get a decent guy late in the draft (there are always bargains on RBs late in the draft and as undrafted FAs but they need to bring in someone.

Cheers!

I agree 100% draft OL/DL early in the draft unless there is a can't miss WR sitting there...and get another RB. This team is ready to make a run we just need to fillin the backup spots in case of injuries.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
I agree 100% draft OL/DL early in the draft unless there is a can't miss WR sitting there...and get another RB. This team is ready to make a run we just need to fillin the backup spots in case of injuries.

What kind of back would you want: gore type, or a better Dixon type?
Looking forward, I see a lot of good WRs in Free Agency. It would be a shame if we didn't get one of them...

Wes Welker-Not gonna happen (Tommy's boy)

Dwayne Bowe-Possible, definitely an upgrade and instant #1 receiver

Vincent Jackson- Who knows what he has left, but would still be an upgrade. Anything would be an upgrade

Desean Jackson- I still think he's a great WR, but i'm not sure about his mental state

Marques Colston- Probably not. The Saints will probably want to keep him and Drew together

Stevie Johnson-I think the Bills resign him as well. Up and comer even though he's a TO waiting to happen. It would be awesome to get him though

Plaxico Burress-He's still got it. I think the Jets resign him tho

Brandon Llyod- No way

Mario Manningham-Would be a slight upgrade

Robert Meachem-Again a slight upgrade. He's the type of WR that is a product of his QB. Will not be as good anywhere else

Early Doucet-That's the slot guy we need!

Deion Branch-Too old

Laurent Robinson-Dallas resigns him. Another up and comer

Reggie Wayne- If the Colts clean house, I say grab him. He still put up decent numbers on that team without Manning (75 rec, 960yds, 4 TDs)

Pierre Garcon- Would be a good 2nd or 3rd option

So again, I hope we get 1 (or 2) of these guys. I know it's not Madden, but I think 1 is realistic. Plus we are an up and coming team and no longer trash of the league. We may attract high price free agents now
Originally posted by lssanjose:

I'd love to see what LaMichael James could do in this offense.

Dixon with more speed - a slasher who is more north/south and can move a pile when needed. Dixon wants to dance when he gets the ball, but he doesn't have quick feet.

A "I can carry it every down and get lots of yars and TDs" type. I don't care if he's 200lbs or 250lbs. We just need a guy with some skills and some durability.

When you go into it looking for a "big back" or a "Frank Gore type", you limit your options. You need to look for a "Really good RB" type.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
A "I can carry it every down and get lots of yars and TDs" type. I don't care if he's 200lbs or 250lbs. We just need a guy with some skills and some durability.

When you go into it looking for a "big back" or a "Frank Gore type", you limit your options. You need to look for a "Really good RB" type.

If the 49ers find that back, do you think Anthony Dixon will be the odd man out, with three guys possibly rotating: Gore, Hunter, and Draftee?

It's been a problem his whole career...Frank Gore can NOT run on the edges and does not have top end speed. He is THE best RB in the game between the tackles, his vision, his heart/passion, blocking, etc. But he can NOT run off tackle and stretch the defense and as a result, teams have little problem stacking the box and run blitzing between the tackles. Gore also suffered big time at catching this year and missed more blocks than I've seen in the past. He's not as quick either and was getting tackled from behind a lot. He still had great power though.

So really...what do we need? We need an every-down RB who can hit the holes between the tackles with quickness and top-end speed (excellent vision) AND who can stretch defenses by running off tackle and get to the edge. If he can be serviceable at blitz pick-up, that would be ideal too and if he had a great set of WCO catching ability, it's on!

Then, if we can finally start using Hunter more like Sproles, on screens, out in the flats, off the edges, two-back sets, etc. we would be unstoppable and WAY less predictable! Some of this is on Roman though too.

If the 49ers find that back, do you think Anthony Dixon will be the odd man out, with three guys possibly rotating: Gore, Hunter, and Draftee?

Yes.

...unless they keep 4 backs (which is possible if they "run by committee" like they did post Gerhart at Stanford.

Dixon also plays on special teams....but he'll need to improve as a RUNNER to keep his job. There will be another young runner in the stable next year.

a gore type...if they dont draft his replacement this year they'll have to do it next year.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Looking forward, I see a lot of good WRs in Free Agency. It would be a shame if we didn't get one of them...

Wes Welker-Not gonna happen (Tommy's boy)

Dwayne Bowe-Possible, definitely an upgrade and instant #1 receiver

Vincent Jackson- Who knows what he has left, but would still be an upgrade. Anything would be an upgrade

Desean Jackson- I still think he's a great WR, but i'm not sure about his mental state

Marques Colston- Probably not. The Saints will probably want to keep him and Drew together

Stevie Johnson-I think the Bills resign him as well. Up and comer even though he's a TO waiting to happen. It would be awesome to get him though

Plaxico Burress-He's still got it. I think the Jets resign him tho

Brandon Llyod- No way

Mario Manningham-Would be a slight upgrade

Robert Meachem-Again a slight upgrade. He's the type of WR that is a product of his QB. Will not be as good anywhere else

Early Doucet-That's the slot guy we need!

Deion Branch-Too old

Laurent Robinson-Dallas resigns him. Another up and comer

Reggie Wayne- If the Colts clean house, I say grab him. He still put up decent numbers on that team without Manning (75 rec, 960yds, 4 TDs)

Pierre Garcon- Would be a good 2nd or 3rd option

So again, I hope we get 1 (or 2) of these guys. I know it's not Madden, but I think 1 is realistic. Plus we are an up and coming team and no longer trash of the league. We may attract high price free agents now

i'd be happy with 1 of those 3.

on jackson...i dont think he'd mesh with this team with his attitude...if he left that in Philly then bring him down as a deep threat and punt returner and say bye bye to ginn.
[ Edited by Rizvi49er on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
Command, great comment re: ALL DONE starting and all of a sudden he may not have that massive first move and then follow up on his bullrush or speed rush or stunt. I wondered about that also, in that would it make him slightly less fearsome than he has been? I don't know, but am in favor in whatever it takes for ALL DONE to continue to improve from this yr. If it turns out he can play at same level all 3 downs, then sure, keep in for all plays. If he slows down or is not as effective, I would play him jsut on passing downs. Nice observation Command,

Yes.

...unless they keep 4 backs (which is possible if they "run by committee" like they did post Gerhart at Stanford.

Dixon also plays on special teams....but he'll need to improve as a RUNNER to keep his job. There will be another young runner in the stable next year.

maybe they add a rb, dixon slides down depth chart but remains on team as a special teamer cus norris doesnt come back