There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Devin Thomas no call?

Originally posted by ace49ers:
I cant remember the game where the player was flagged for continuing down the field out of bounds before going back in field. The rule is once a player is out of bounds he must make every effort to get back in the field of play before taking part in the pursuit.

Mike Pereira being asked about it and confirming the call springs to mind, who the teams were im not sure, maybe it was one of the teams the 9ers went up against as the 9ers are really the only ones I watch.

Making every effort to get back in play unless someone is impeding a return is a flag. I think it was called in last years playoffs against the Seahawks or Saints. If not that I'm positive it was called the year before.
It was called this year, thats why I remember it and Pereira talking about it. I thought the flag was a bit harsh (still cant remember the teams), but rules are rules.
If it was this year against Us or a team we played I don't remember. (and I've watched every game for the past 3 years.) However like you said rules are rules. A flag would have been a 1st down for us instead it was a fumble that set up a touchdown for the Giants.
[ Edited by Peanut49 on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He wasn't the first player to touch the ball, KW was. Therefor, no penalty.

This

You quoted something that was wrong gj. Providing that a player is forced out of bounds, or even goes out on his own accord, as long as he makes an immediate effort to come back to the field of play there is no penalty, BUT he can not be the first person to touch the ball. Thomas made no effort, ran 20 yards, juked a blocker and changed the outcome. Was for sure a no call. No matter how rare. He should have been flagged after running 20 yards out of bounds and therefor would have been ineligible to ever recover the ball.

that was the explanation the ref gave(I want to say Mike Pereira on Fox in the booth?) so that's all I know. It sucks and it's a miscall but if KW doesn't f**k up in the first place we're fine. Oh well.

This

You quoted something that was wrong gj. Providing that a player is forced out of bounds, or even goes out on his own accord, as long as he makes an immediate effort to come back to the field of play there is no penalty, BUT he can not be the first person to touch the ball. Thomas made no effort, ran 20 yards, juked a blocker and changed the outcome. Was for sure a no call. No matter how rare. He should have been flagged after running 20 yards out of bounds and therefor would have been ineligible to ever recover the ball.

that was the explanation the ref gave(I want to say Mike Pereira on Fox in the booth?) so that's all I know. It sucks and it's a miscall but if KW doesn't f**k up in the first place we're fine. Oh well.

The last part of your post is so very true. (the oh well) But if we're talking basketball or any other professional sport and your down by 2 with no time (we were up) and you shoot that three, take a shot, swing a bat, or go deep. It was either a legal or illegal play. What happened to us is there was time left on the clock and we had the chance, if even for a moment, to make the 3 ball. However goal tending wasn't called. (amongst other appropriate related sports calls)
[ Edited by Peanut49 on Jan 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM ]

This
the rule your thinking of is that the player can't go run out of bounds on his own, if the defender shoves him out of bounds then it is legal, and yes kyle was the first to touch it so thomas can recover it.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I cant remember the game where the player was flagged for continuing down the field out of bounds before going back in field. The rule is once a player is out of bounds he must make every effort to get back in the field of play before taking part in the pursuit.

Mike Pereira being asked about it and confirming the call springs to mind, who the teams were im not sure, maybe it was one of the teams the 9ers went up against as the 9ers are really the only ones I watch.

They called it on US last year. I can't remember which game, though.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the rule your thinking of is that the player can't go run out of bounds on his own, if the defender shoves him out of bounds then it is legal, and yes kyle was the first to touch it so thomas can recover it.

The player, whether shoved out or not, has to make an attempt to get back in bounds immediately or it's a penalty. What he's saying is Thomas DID NOT attempt to get back in bounds. A flag should have been thrown. He is not discussing who touched the ball first because it is irrelevant as it pertains to the penalty in question. Just because he was shoved out doesn't mean he doesn't have to try to get back in bounds.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 27, 2012 at 2:18 AM ]
This is unsportsmanlike conduct guys. He Used the sidelines as an advantage. Whats even the point now. Threads like this just make the pain linger further. God I hope this b*****ds lose the SB.

This

The last part of your post is so very true. (the oh well) But if we're talking basketball or any other professional sport and your down by 2 with no time (we were up) and you shoot that three, take a shot, swing a bat, or go deep. It was either a legal or illegal play. What happened to us is there was time left on the clock and we had the chance, if even for a moment, to make the 3 ball. However goal tending wasn't called. (amongst other appropriate related sports calls)

yeah it was a bad call but at the end of the day we cant go back and get it fixed or anything, refs mess up too, they are only human. it sucks but we have to move on.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

The player, whether shoved out or not, has to make an attempt to get back in bounds immediately or it's a penalty. What he's saying is Thomas DID NOT attempt to get back in bounds. A flag should have been thrown. He is not discussing who touched the ball first because it is irrelevant as it pertains to the penalty in question. Just because he was shoved out doesn't mean he doesn't have to try to get back in bounds.

i dont think that's true

this. it was legal.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

i dont think that's true

it's a judgement call. But the dude can't just run out of bounds, he has to try to come back in rather quickly. But, just like the early whistle, its a judgement call by the side judge.
He wasn't the first to touch the ball...didn't really matter