There are 210 users in the forums

The Devin Thomas no call?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I said it out loud after the replay aired in real time. In the 4th quarter when the ball ricocheted off Kyle Williams right knee. The 2nd tv replay showed Thomas getting jammed out of bounds at the line of scrimmage and he never attempted to make an "immediate" return to the field. Instead he goes 20 yards and cuts in between Reggie Smith with a quick cut putting him on his ass and Chris Culliver didn't have the angle to stop him. So, I'm curious did anyone else catch what I think was a penalty and if it was a no call why isn't it talked about?

(we lost blah blah I just want some clarification and closure as to if I'm wrong.)

The first 3-4 seconds of this video show what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGgEfmiQl_U
Who cares lulz
I'm not losing sleep over it. I mulled over the idea of us getting that call for the first couple days after the L. I'm over it, but how is something I feel is so beyond a blatant no call not brought up by anyone?
He wasn't the first player to touch the ball, KW was. Therefor, no penalty.
i noticed it as well.
Originally posted by Peanut49:
I'm not losing sleep over it. I mulled over the idea of us getting that call for the first couple days after the L. I'm over it, but how is something I feel is so beyond a blatant no call not brought up by anyone?

Rub of the green. We've seen these flagged. Like the strip that wasnt called. Rub of the green. Good when you have it.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

You can run out bounds if you'd like to all day. My understanding of the rule is if you don't make an immediate return to the field of play you can never influence the play no matter the circumstances. You can not run down the sideline for 20 yardds with no one in your face only to make a play on the ball someone else has touched, EVER.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Rub of the green. We've seen these flagged. Like the strip that wasnt called. Rub of the green. Good when you have it.

That play was a lot more cut and dry though. I didn't hear the whistle in real time, but when ever forward progress is called a whistle or not it's up the refs and unchallengeable. However we are talking about a gunner who runs out of bounds for 20 yards and makes a crucial play. How was this missed/not talked about/ or even mentioned?
It's a rare call, but yeah I thought so too. You have to make a good faith effort to get back into bounds and it didn't seem like he was fighting his way in.

This

That play was a lot more cut and dry though. I didn't hear the whistle in real time, but when ever forward progress is called a whistle or not it's up the refs and unchallengeable. However we are talking about a gunner who runs out of bounds for 20 yards and makes a crucial play. How was this missed/not talked about/ or even mentioned?

Refs vision obscured during the play? Could be a lot of factors. One could be the refs were letting the players play a bit more. Its like the old 'theres holding on every play' saying yet theres no flag.
It is a rare call, but rules are rules and you'd think in a championship game the refs would be on top of their game. You have 100ft hdtvs, replay booths, and refs upstairs. Like ace said on the fumble it could have went either way, but people saw it. How do refs miss 1 out of 2 people from the start of punt going out of bounds and streaking for 20 never trying to come back in?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This

You quoted something that was wrong gj. Providing that a player is forced out of bounds, or even goes out on his own accord, as long as he makes an immediate effort to come back to the field of play there is no penalty, BUT he can not be the first person to touch the ball. Thomas made no effort, ran 20 yards, juked a blocker and changed the outcome. Was for sure a no call. No matter how rare. He should have been flagged after running 20 yards out of bounds and therefor would have been ineligible to ever recover the ball.
[ Edited by Peanut49 on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM ]
I cant remember the game where the player was flagged for continuing down the field out of bounds before going back in field. The rule is once a player is out of bounds he must make every effort to get back in the field of play before taking part in the pursuit.

Mike Pereira being asked about it and confirming the call springs to mind, who the teams were im not sure, maybe it was one of the teams the 9ers went up against as the 9ers are really the only ones I watch.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

This

You quoted something that was wrong gj. Providing that a player is forced out of bounds, or even goes out on his own accord, as long as he makes an immediate effort to come back to the field of play there is no penalty, BUT he can not be the first person to touch the ball. Thomas made no effort, ran 20 yards, juked a blocker and changed the outcome. Was for sure a no call. No matter how rare. He should have been flagged after running 20 yards out of bounds and therefor would have been ineligible to ever recover the ball.

Yup, i was only thinking of the first to touch part...a player does have to make an effort to get back in
Share 49ersWebzone