There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Originally posted by VANiner:
I am sure. The defense must be kept together to the furthest extent (Rogers, Goldson, Brooks) and we NEED a big play WR (Bowe, Colston). With those things happening, i believe we will be in contention with AS as our QB, barring the injury bug (which we really didn't have this year until the playoffs).

On the other hand he had like 5 drives to score and he couldn't do it. I just believe that if we had someone with more ability then the team could really go and win the Superbowl. The team gave up 13.3 points a game, that is why they won 13 regular season games. Alex did his job of not turning the ball over. He did that by not taking many chances amd he also was at the bottom or close to it in nearly every QB category.

It is all how you look at it I guess. I am thankful Alex did what he did in the off-season, regular season and post season. I would just like to see a QB that doesn't look to check down on every pass he throws. His YPA and YPC are atrocious. I often seem WR's in position to make catches but the ball is more often than not checked down and thrown well short of first downs. Again, I am pleased with what he did, but he didn't really do much in the grand scheme of things, the defense was STELLAR. Am I too stubborn?? I just see a window of opportunity and I don't want to see it blown.
Take a look at some of the QBs that have won Super Bowls,Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Bart Johnson, Mark Rypien, Bob Greise, to name a few. We could make a bigger list of non-super star QBs that have lost Super Bowls. So, sure he can win.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Take a look at some of the QBs that have won Super Bowls,Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Bart Johnson, Mark Rypien, Bob Greise, to name a few. We could make a bigger list of non-super star QBs that have lost Super Bowls. So, sure he can win.

Dude, you just mentioned super bowls of yesteryear. The NFL has changed and Harbaugh knows that. I know he wanted to pump up Smith for the playoffs and he did that. The last 10 Super Bowls have been won by good QB's. Can we bank on giving up 13.3 points again next year? If he can what he did with the system for Smith, I am thrilled to see what he can do for Kaep as I believe he has more athletic ability and arm strength. I see more first downs instead of a piss poor showing like the Giants game.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Bob Greise is in the Hall-of-Fame. Rypien was a two-time Pro-Bowl selection. Brad Johnson was two-time Pro-Bowl selection. Williams was a Pro-Bowl quarterback and Super Bowl MVP the year he won it. Even Trent Dilfer, was a Pro-Bowl selection in 97, before he rode the best statistical NFL defense of All-Time to a championship in 2000.

All of these Pro-Bowl quarterbacks have had their ups and downs. Most of these guys had problems with INTs throughout their careers, but they won the Super Bowl by letting the ball fly and playing fantastic (with the exception of Johnson and Dilfer who both had top five All-Time defenses, and avoided mistakes).

And these are probably the WORST quarterbacks to ever win the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Bob Greise is in the Hall-of-Fame. Rypien was a two-time Pro-Bowl selection. Brad Johnson was two-time Pro-Bowl selection. Williams was a Pro-Bowl quarterback and Super Bowl MVP the year he won it. Even Trent Dilfer, was a Pro-Bowl selection in 97, before he rode the best statistical NFL defense of All-Time to a championship in 2000.

All of these Pro-Bowl quarterbacks have had their ups and downs. Most of these guys had problems with INTs throughout their careers, but they won the Super Bowl by letting the ball fly and playing fantastic (with the exception of Johnson and Dilfer who both had top five All-Time defenses, and avoided mistakes).

Sure but they played in a different era. In todayhs NFL we need to score more, it is much different in terms of EVERYTHING.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Sure but they played in a different era. In todayhs NFL we need to score more, it is much different in terms of EVERYTHING.

Ok sure. The fact that we need to score more in today's NFL, further emphasizes the importance of the quarterback position.

I just wanted to point out that most of those quarterbacks were exceptional Pro-Bowl type performers during their Super Bowl seasons.
Only two of them, Dilfer and Johnson, were "game managers" during their Super Bowl seasons who simply rode a defense to a championship.
really he is a smart qb, he dosent have the manning marino arm but joe didnt either ,he needs better weapons
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
we should have won with this defense.

Fixed
I almost don't want smith to re sign just so that we could below .500 and alot of these morons realize that it goes beyond the QB
The Alex that played the New Orleans playoff game can win the Super Bowl.

The Alex that played the Giants playoff game will NEVER win a Super Bowl.

So who shows up? Alex #1 or Alex #2?

Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
We made it to the NFC Championship with him and were 2 Kyle William fumbles away from returning to the Super Bowl, and yes I know Alex Smith and the passing game was non existent outside of 2 big plays from Vernon Davis that game, which leads me to the question if we can go all the way with him as our QB.

So, maybe the thread title should be changed. Instead of asking, "Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?" ...
you could ask, Can the 49'ers GET to a Super Bowl with Alex Smith?
I think so, but he obviously needs some better wide receivers. I also would like to see him take a couple more steps forward under Harough, but if we had made it to the Super Bowl, I liked our chances this year of winning it.
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
We made it to the NFC Championship with him and were 2 Kyle William fumbles away from returning to the Super Bowl, and yes I know Alex Smith and the passing game was non existent outside of 2 big plays from Vernon Davis that game, which leads me to the question if we can go all the way with him as our QB.

We also had +4 in turnovers against the Saints and nearly lost. We had +3 in turnovers against arizona earlier this year and did lose.
Why?? Because ALEX can't move the damn ball to kill teams off.
Get Peyton Manning or start Kaepernick. Alex is NOT good enough. The sooner we move on the better!!
You guys keep hoping and wishing and praying that Alex will be better next year. And the year after that, and the year after that. Good God he is entering
his 8th season and the team has a winning record only ONCE!! What more do you want to see?
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
We also had +4 in turnovers against the Saints and nearly lost. We had +3 in turnovers against arizona earlier this year and did lose.
Why?? Because ALEX can't move the damn ball to kill teams off.
Get Peyton Manning or start Kaepernick. Alex is NOT good enough. The sooner we move on the better!!
You guys keep hoping and wishing and praying that Alex will be better next year. And the year after that, and the year after that. Good God he is entering
his 8th season and the team has a winning record only ONCE!! What more do you want to see?

that is the stupidest thing ive ever seen
ow about the fact the first time we had an actual HC we had a 13-3 record?
h
Just a question...how many qbs, NFC or AFC could have hit our WRs in NYG title game? NONE. Why? Because we don't have anything resembling a WR corps, and on top of that NONE of our WRs got open all nite long. Why? Well start with a very subpar performance by Roman and end with a #1 WR with hx of holdout(therefore questioning his team allegiance) and some spectacular catches during the season, who suddenly went "dark" for the last 2 games, when he just disappeared, once setting foot on the field. Sure the playcalls were lacking, but we had not one WR open virtually all nite. Anyone looking at the banal and unimaginative banana routes our WRs ran, with NO fakes by anyone the entire game and no crisp routes run by any WR...well put that all together and Peyton at his best or Brady at his best could not have completed passes to those guys. Don't put this on alex, because a) he didn't call the plays(no slants and no outs and they were both open all nite), and b)receivers ran the worst routes possible, never shaking their defenders. Alex's dozen or so "turf balls" aimed at WRs toes got him a lot of bad press. But what was he to do...throw a ball more likely to be intercepted than caught? Going over the tape, Coach is going to be amazed how roman went thru an entire game and made no slant or outs calls. He will also be depressed by the lack of route running by our WRs. Sure we are injured, but that is no reason for those WRs out there not running crisp routes with good fakes. WRs did what for the game? Unnhhh 1 reception for 3 yds? That just shows an underperforming WR corps to me and lousy playcalling to boot.

Put this on alex if you wish, but WRs, and lack of imaginative playcalling are the real goats from where I stand. And the10th pick in the first rd a few yrs back? Well, I would put him on the block and see if we can use him to move up in draft to snag one of the top 3 WRs after Blackmon (also, not the kid from Notre Dame with 3 drinking citations). Also try for Vincent jackson(probably will not be able to get him away from SD, but i sure wish we would), and for sure Bowe from KC, another multi TD and multi catch guy with good hands. SF vs KC? I would bet he would be interested in that. Also Colston, but again i bet sean payton will see to it he stays. I would get a #1, #2 and #3 WR, and let our current 10th pick in the draft get traded to someone else for a high draft pick or another WR. I don't believe craps is a Harbaugh player. I will not be surprised to see him gone, replaced by 3 guys who really do want to play, and we don't have to worry about whether they will show up when the chips are down. Kyle, um, not sure about him, but i bet Coach gives him another shot. That leaves morgan as a possible # 3 .

Whatever happens, come start of coming season, expect alex to have 3 real life WRs to throw to and watch the turf balls become a thing of the past. Also, i would expect things like "Can the 9ers win a SB with alex" to disappear...whether we win the SB or not.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM ]