There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 San Francisco 49ers FA Targets / Draft Needs Thread (Niner Talk Edition)

Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
I think this guy have a big potential in the NFL. He sorta reminds you of A. Rodgers

as a developmental project, me gusta.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:

I think this guy have a big potential in the NFL. He sorta reminds you of A. Rodgers

as a developmental project, me gusta.

Always good to have more than one Potential NFL starter at QB position on the team, he looks like he has great awareness and arm strength is good as well, worth a look IMO.
[ Edited by 49ersOnMINE on Jan 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If I was an elite reciever, no way in hell would I want to go to the Niners......just saying.

I was thinking the same thing but then looked back at Stanford's WR production under Harbaugh. They did well under Harbaugh even though they were not elite. This past season, with the same system, Whalen led Stanford receivers with 56 and Owusu was second with 35, so it is not a desert for WRs. Of course, they won't have the opportunity to catch more than 10 every game.

If you are speaking about having Smith for a QB then I would look at VD and Morgan's production over the years and FAs would realize it is up to the WR to catch the ball--plain and simple.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If I was an elite reciever, no way in hell would I want to go to the Niners......just saying.

I was thinking the same thing but then looked back at Stanford's WR production under Harbaugh. They did well under Harbaugh even though they were not elite. This past season, with the same system, Whalen led Stanford receivers with 56 and Owusu was second with 35, so it is not a desert for WRs. Of course, they won't have the opportunity to catch more than 10 every game.

If you are speaking about having Smith for a QB then I would look at VD and Morgan's production over the years and FAs would realize it is up to the WR to catch the ball--plain and simple.
It's definitely a different offense when you're talking about having a passing game built around a guy like Luck vs around Alex smith...Alex averages 17 completions per game. Rarely ever do those go deep.

I think they'd look at crab or VD's production and go "wow those guys would be 1000+ yd pro bowl receivers with a rivers, brees, manning, type of quarterback throwing to them."

Our passing game was ranked 29th for a reason.
[ Edited by mike on Jan 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM ]
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

It's definitely a different offense when you're talking about having a passing game built around a guy like Luck vs around Alex smith...Alex averages 17 completions per game. Most of those don't go deep.

I think they'd look at crab or VD's production and go "wow those guys would be 1000+ yd pro bowl receivers with a rivers, brees, manning, type of quarterback throwing to them."

Our passing game was ranked 29th for a reason.

we were ranked 29th yes

but alexs YPA was 14th ranked and thats with us leading nfl in drops so it couldve easily been lets say 10th with average number of drops

even 14th YPA is good
(YPA yards per attempt) so basically if every qb in nfl had same attemtpts alex would be 14th innfl in yards

and we will pass more next season our offense isnt handcuffed with the fact we arent learning the playbook as the season goes on and hopefully with upgraded WRs
We should really go after Colston. He's about the only WR FA I like fitting with our scheme and locker room. With Colston, Morgan, and Crabs (or draft pick), in that order, our receiving corp becomes a real threat. (Crabs is approaching bust status to me.) But outside of Colston I'm not excited about the other WR FA's. Plus, I really think we should use our 1st pick on a big physical WR to fill or atleast compete for that #1 WR role. This year's WR draft class is somewhat deep with big physical receivers with good hands, many will still be there for us (e.g Mohamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, or Nick Toon). A real number 1 WR is the only missing link of our offense so I think we should pursue Colston hard and draft a big physical WR in round 1.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home