There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011 Alex Smith vs. 1995 Troy Aikman

First time poster here, so go easy on me!

Wondering if anyone's noticed the similarities in stats between the superbowl winning 95 Aikman and the hopefully superbowl winning 2011 Alex Smith (for that matter, Smith's 2011 numbers look very similar to Troy's superbowl winning season stats). I don't recall anyone calling Aikman a "doubt" or a "liability" in those years; and I clearly remembered those years, based on how much I hated the Cowboys:

In 1995, Troy Aikman had 3,304 passing yards, 16 passing touchdowns, 7 pass interceptions, 32 rushing yards and 1 rushing touchdown. In the post season, he never passed for more than 255 yards, or more than 2 touchdowns in any of his 3 playoff games (including the superbowl).

Grant it, he did have a stronger running game (E. Smith - 1700 yds, 25 rushing TD's) and a playmaking WR (M. Irvin - 1600 yds, 10 TD's), which makes Smith's season even more impressive. This encourages me, that we can take it all the way, although I never thought that the hated 90's Cowboys would be comforting me, ever, in my life.
Ive said from the get go that Alex is Aikman. And we are built like early 90s cowboys
Agreed, Skeet. Although it's funny that they didn't refer to Aikman as a "game manager" or "weakness". He was always publicized as a threat, and a prime time player.
Originally posted by GoforJimmy:
Agreed, Skeet. Although it's funny that they didn't refer to Aikman as a "game manager" or "weakness". He was always publicized as a threat, and a prime time player.

Didn't Aikman have a couple rings before the 95 season?

But yeah I agree with your overall point. Im sure if there was twitter, YouTube, and the cowboyswebzone back then...he'd be a game manager. Players now are dissected a million and one ways before they even take a snap.
speaking of Aikman look at what he has to say about Alex's career revival
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/01/18/alex-smiths-career-couldve-been-far-different/
  • mod
  • Veteran
Granite, gran it, grant it, granted
Nice. So we're one playmaking WR and one young stud RB away from 3 superbowl titles and A. Smith being a HOF QB!
Smith ranked 17th in the NFL in touchdowns (17) this season and 19th in yards (3,144). Aikman can relate. On offenses headlined by running back Emmitt Smith, he did not have a 4,000-yard season and threw for more than 19 touchdowns once in his 12-year career.

Aikman realized early that his career wouldn't be defined by stats, but by Super Bowls. For that reason, his only focus became winning, and he didn't tolerate teammates who didn't share his mind-set. Similarly, Smith has shrugged off questions regarding his so-so stats this season and repeatedly stated his focus is on wins and losses.

holy sh**............i dont care if alex doesnt have brady, p. manning, rodgers or brees like years if he can do this
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Aikman had way more weapons than Alex Smith, as far as receivers we only have them beat at tight end.
Originally posted by BobS:
Aikman had way more weapons than Alex Smith, as far as receivers we only have them beat at tight end.

Exactly and a dominating offensive line.
I posted something similar over a month ago and was told by many that "the game has changed...you need big offense to win". How'd that work out for the Pack and the Saints?
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Ive said from the get go that Alex is Aikman. And we are built like early 90s cowboys

We are built kind of like a 90's Cowbowys team. Bit O Line, RB's, defense, great coach, QB who will make some throws but not a gunslinger. I think we can win with this. We will see.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I posted something similar over a month ago and was told by many that "the game has changed...you need big offense to win". How'd that work out for the Pack and the Saints?

Both gone. LOL.
While I don't like conceding the fact, there seems to be a lot of validity to the comparison.

One key difference, however: Smith is smart, Aikman is an idiot man child.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Hope your right.

How bout them Niners!

By the way it makes me sick every time I see Jerry Jones say that.