John Madden "Best game I've ever seen"

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Craziest game I ever saw live!!!!

doesn't beat Giants vs 9ers in '03 IMO

we have a tendency to make the most recent events the "best ever"

it was close, but that historic comeback was better, and had the 'Stick rocking just as much if not more than this past saturday

I think it was, since it ended on an emotional TD and elevated us to the NFC Championship which made it more emotional.

Agreed it such a roller and that's what made it so epic.....

We had it won, then we lost, then we won, then we lost, then we won for real. You can't beat games like that.

For me, the broader picture adds a lot of impact to this game. In addition to the lead changes in the last few minutes and the elevation to NFC Championship, is all the poetic redemption that played out. Putting my heart into the team through the dark years. Especially seeing everything that the team and the players went through over the years. For me, that all adds a lot of weight to the game. That's why when I saw Davis breakdown on his way to the sideline after that catch, I had to tell my wife to stop cutting onions next to me.
This game is definitely better for the following reasons:

1) Got us to the NFC Championships instead of the Divisional round, unlike the Giants game;
2) No questionable ref calls hang over this victory, unlike the non-called pass interference on the 49ers;
3) We straight up BEAT the other team, whereas the Giants beat themselves with a bad longsnapper;
4) We beat a record-setting team that was thought to be one of the top 2 favorites to win the Super Bowl and who had a modern day Dan Marino+
Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Lambo , all great playoff wins !
Though its a great argument to have, not a lot of teams can have that.
The 9ers/Giants wildcard game was the greatest game I've ever seen until Saturday. I feel as if the past nine years of misery was bottled up and let out after the game winning touchdown; it made Smith's comeback a classic. He went from a former bust to going blow for blow with one of the best QBs in the game. Not to mention throwing "The Catch III" (or "The Grab") to Vernon who's grown as a football player on and off the field since he's been drafted.
Originally posted by YungAce:
The 9ers/Giants wildcard game was the greatest game I've ever seen until Saturday. I feel as if the past nine years of misery was bottled up and let out after the game winning touchdown; it made Smith's comeback a classic. He went from a former bust to going blow for blow with one of the best QBs in the game. Not to mention throwing "The Catch III" (or "The Grab") to Vernon who's grown as a football player on and off the field since he's been drafted.

Yeah, I felt this game was greater. Regardless of reasons, when we won this game I was even more blown away then the 9ers/Giants comeback. Not sure what the exact reason was.

I will say I like Alex Smith story is better than Garcia. Both are similar, tough guys that people counted out. But Alex being the #1 pick and sucking his early years while Aaron Rodgers gets drafted later and tears it up. Alex had to sign a one-year deal and people didn't even want him to start here this season. And now he earns a place in 49er history? I just think its a great story of commitment, toughness, and never giving up.

And Vernon Davis breaking the TE record? How great was that? He was drafted real early against the conventional wisdom at the time, and his hands were terrible early on. He seemd to have an attitude/personality issue and then turned around under Singletary. Now he is a great leader in the locker room and an amazing player.

I dunno, I just think the backstory to the 49ers win against the Saints made it better.

And hopefully we have an even better ending to the story
Originally posted by Lifer:
It was epic, no doubt, and is on a par with "The Catch" in my mind. In terms of the excitement of the game, what it means to the franchise, what it did for the community... eerily similar to The Catch. I think this game, and the Smith to Davis play, should officially become "The Catch II." The Steve Young to Terrel Owens play should be downgraded. In fact, all references to TO should be expunged from the record.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, it was a great emotional play. It got me misty eyed. However, it didn't lead to a Super Bowl victory. "The Catch" led to a Super Bowl and the start of a dynasty. If this recent win leads to a Super Bowl victory, you better believe that "The Grab" will rank up there as only second to "The Catch", as not only the greatest playoff moment in 49er history, but in the NFL.

January 10th, 1982

January 14th, 2012
Originally posted by Fresniner:
It was epic, no doubt, and is on a par with "The Catch" in my mind. In terms of the excitement of the game, what it means to the franchise, what it did for the community... eerily similar to The Catch. I think this game, and the Smith to Davis play, should officially become "The Catch II." The Steve Young to Terrel Owens play should be downgraded. In fact, all references to TO should be expunged from the record.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, it was a great emotional play. It got me misty eyed. However, it didn't lead to a Super Bowl victory. "The Catch" led to a Super Bowl and the start of a dynasty. If this recent win leads to a Super Bowl victory, you better believe that "The Grab" will rank up there as only second to "The Catch", as not only the greatest playoff moment in 49er history, but in the NFL.

January 10th, 1982

January 14th, 2012

Great point! Just like a Sequel to a Movie it was good but not as good as the ORIGINAL!
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Even the hater Peter King was impressed:
"Phenomenal finish. One of the best ends of a game of all time..."
http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/16/divisionals/1.html

Hater? He's been on our nuts all this year. We're even tied for first in his power rankings
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

January 10th, 1982

January 14th, 2012

Great point! Just like a Sequel to a Movie it was good but not as good as the ORIGINAL!

that's why i like to call the the grab and not the catch 3.

January 10th, 1982

January 14th, 2012

My 20-month-old son is sitting in my lap as I'm reading this. He sees the picture of VD in the end zone there and throws his hands up in the air and yells "HUPDOWN!"

I was in central VA watching the game on TV on Saturday, you should have seen how upset he got with all the excited yelling in the last 5 minutes of that game...kept having to reassure him that it was happy yelling...lol
In the top five for 9er games I'd say.
Do you guys remember the game we had against the JETS when garrison Hearst ran it for like 98 yards for the win? And TO was running along beside him and blocking? It wasn't a must win game but it was epic!!

January 10th, 1982

January 14th, 2012

Look at 58 in the back on both pictures...
Originally posted by ninermedic:
My 20-month-old son is sitting in my lap as I'm reading this. He sees the picture of VD in the end zone there and throws his hands up in the air and yells "HUPDOWN!"

I was in central VA watching the game on TV on Saturday, you should have seen how upset he got with all the excited yelling in the last 5 minutes of that game...kept having to reassure him that it was happy yelling...lol

Haha..I bet he was scared out his mind

Have you bought him a little 49ers Jersey or T-shirt yet?
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Do you guys remember the game we had against the JETS when garrison Hearst ran it for like 98 yards for the win? And TO was running along beside him and blocking? It wasn't a must win game but it was epic!!

First game of the 98 season, 96 yarder to win in overtime. That was the same year, in the playoffs, that Young and Owens hooked up to beat the Packers...that was a hell of a season!