There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaugh and fangio must learn from packers mistakes

Originally posted by Shanhi88:
Honestly, the Packers HAVE to be blaming themselves and not the coaches. 8 dropped passes and 3 fumbles?! That's not on the coaches....

That's why they lost too...not the reasons suggested in the OP. Failing on 4th down or failed onside....they were risky gambles, but the Packers actually got an interception off the drive after the failed onside. They then went and coughed it up a few plays later.

The Giants got majorly lucky with the Hail Mary...first because it was a Hail Mary, second because the draw the ran before that was just meant to run out the clock....only the Packers were out of lunch and couldn't make a tackle.....it put Manning in a good spot to throw up the Hail Mary.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
I think most of the blame for the packers loss lies on the shoulders of the GB coaches. The 1st onside kick was a bonehead move. Also, when the game was still close, the packers went for it on 4th down instead of punting (and it was at mid field)...and the constant 3-man rush on Eli was also a lame decision. I hope harbaugh and Co. learn from this game and make better coaching decisions
Harbaugh and Co aren't bunch of idiots to make the same mistake the packers coaches made, Harbaugh emphasizes mistake free football, GB special teams coach made a bad call on that one and from what i remember they took that play off the niners playbook in which the niners saw something on the coverage that assured them that the play will work unlike GB thinking they had it but failed. Bottom line is 49ers coaches are smart enough to make decisions that wont hurt the team most of the time.

Harbaugh is not opposed to trick/gadget plays, he just does them at way better times (field position, momentum, etc) in the game than McCarthy did yesterday
We run the ball better than packers, Rodgers led them in rushing yesterday.
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
I think most of the blame for the packers loss lies on the shoulders of the GB coaches. The 1st onside kick was a bonehead move. Also, when the game was still close, the packers went for it on 4th down instead of punting (and it was at mid field)...and the constant 3-man rush on Eli was also a lame decision. I hope harbaugh and Co. learn from this game and make better coaching decisions

Ugh. Hindsight is 20/20. If they recovered it then it's a brilliant move.
Im not worried about the Giants running game, way too much confidence in our front 7 doing what they've done all season long against the run...

But Eli...Eli and that rejuvenated defense of theres, specifically their D-line (now that they have Osi back and hes playing well), I thought we did great against the Saints picking up blitzes but this is going to be a whole 'nother challenge of just keeping all four of those defensive linemen in check without having to double too many of them so that we don't make ourselves open to blitzes and take away options in the passing game (aka having to have Gore/VD stay back to block rather than run routes)

With all that said...CAN'T WAIT

Originally posted by bwalsh:
Candlestick wind and rain do your magic.

this. This is our destiny. This is it.
Their biggest mistake was giving up on the run, not getting Arron more mobile out of the pocket (on designed runs), and not getting into press-coverage. -Giants WRs are guys that can make some good YAC when given the opportunity.
the onside kick didnt hurt pack though as giants missed field goal
Don't forget that we tried a half-back pass with GORE. Those type of plays wont work against the G-men
I dont' blame the coaching staff on their lost. It was more of opportunities not being executed well, many dropped balls that could have led to 7 instead of 3 and most important of all... TURNOVERS...
What's funny is that the refs assisted GB like nothing I've ever seen before and they still got mauled.
[ Edited by est1985 on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM ]
  • BMHo
  • Veteran
The one mistake that GB didn't think about was: "Hey... We have no defense? It's coo, it's coo..."

The Giants definitely had a great pass rush yesterday. And why wouldn't you against the passing prowess that are the Packers. Mistakes that the Packers made was all mental... You can't sit your #1 guy for 3 weeks... It doesn't work. You can't keep passing to the guy that's been dropping the ball all day.

These are all mental mistakes that the Packers made. And I don't think that the Niners can even make these mistakes if they tried.

Last time the Giants came to town, they had some deep passes that beat the Niners' secondary. And this time, they have to play the coverage game a little better. Cruz is the king of incredible grabs. Nicks and Manningham can beat you with raw speed. But as long as we put guys back in coverage, I think we'll be alright. It'll be a close one though, for sure!
pretty much i saw the packers doing everything wrong that we do right! just like the lions vs the saints, the packers couldnt tackle right and they didnt get any pressure on the QB. the coaches f***ed up too tho
Originally posted by andes14:
Ugh. Hindsight is 20/20. If they recovered it then it's a brilliant move.

It's a dumb move. If they had scouted the Giants at all, they'd have seen that we did a surprise onside kick when we played them and it worked. Would the Giants make the same mistake twice, much less a playoff game? Come on.