LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 297 users in the forums

The last time the 49ers and Giants met here

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The last time the 49ers and Giants met in the NFC championship game, I was a kid. One year after the 49ers crushed the Denver Broncos 55-10 in Super Bowl XXIV, I had high hopes - and expectations - of Joe Montana to lead my team to an unprecedented third straight Super Bowl title. Montana was my childhood hero, as no doubt he held that status to many of you. I felt that the 49ers had the game firmly in hand until it happened. "It" being the Leonard Marshall sack that knocked Joe Montana out of the game, and ultimately out of San Francisco as it would turn out.

That sack changed everything. In my eyes to this day, that should have been the 49ers who defeated the Bills in Super Bowl XXIV. Joe Montana had a number of good years left in him. He may have retired as a 49er. I might never have had to watch my childhood hero wear a Chiefs uniform.

The success of the 49ers this year brings joy to my heart. But there is a bitter taste in my mouth. One that has lingered for two decades. I have not forgotten. You have not forgotten. Super Bowl XXV was the one that got away. The Giants stole that from the 49ers. It's time for revenge. I hope Jim Harbaugh reminds today's team of its history often. Next Sunday the past returns. The glory days are upon us again, 49er fans.

GO NINERS!
[ Edited by mississippi_sam on Jan 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
The last time the 49ers and Giants met in the NFC championship game, I was a kid. One year after the 49ers crushed the Denver Broncos 55-10 in Super Bowl XXIV, I had high hopes - and expectations - of Joe Montana to lead my team to an unprecedented third straight Super Bowl title. Montana was my childhood hero, as no doubt he held that status to many of you. I felt that the 49ers had the game firmly in hand until it happened. "It" being the Leonard Marshall sack that knocked Joe Montana out of the game, and ultimately out of San Francisco as it would turn out.

That sack changed everything. In my eyes to this day, that should have been the 49ers who defeated the Bills in Super Bowl XXIV. Joe Montana had a number of good years left in him. He may have retired as a 49er. I might never have had to watch my childhood hero wear a Chiefs uniform.

The success of the 49ers this year brings joy to my heart. But there is a bitter taste in my mouth. One that has lingered for two decades. I have not forgotten. You have not forgotten. Super Bowl XXV was the one that got away. The Giants stole that from the 49ers. It's time for revenge. I hope Jim Harbaugh reminds today's team of its history often. Next Sunday the past returns. The glory days are upon us again, 49er fans.

GO NINERS!

and since that game, we beat them 44-3 in divisional round , Jan. 1994 and the classic win in Jan. 2003 Wild Card game 39-39. with that amazing comeback !
Sad truth is, no win ever...ever, in the rest of the history of the NFL can make up for losing the Three-Peat that day.

It will be nice to make the Giants suffer for it though from now till the end of time.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Sad truth is, no win ever...ever, in the rest of the history of the NFL can make up for losing the Three-Peat that day.

It will be nice to make the Giants suffer for it though from now till the end of time.

agree, I cried at the end of that NFC title game with the Craig fumble. heartbreaking.
Share 49ersWebzone