LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Post Season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Post Season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

This poll kind of puts the debate about how good our WRs were and how bad Smith was for not being able to hit them into better perspective. LOL!

We finally have a consensus that WR is the major weakness and needs to be addressed. Sadly, none of our current WRs have proven themselves to be first rate NFL receivers.

Morgan has had a great rapport with Smith and has shown the most over the past few year, before the injury. We can only hope he comes back strong. At his best he is a physical receiver with good hands, at his worst he seems lost at times.

Crabtree has the most natural catching ability and has a very unique style of juking after the catch for extra yards, but he has been injured or held out each and every year, lessening his effectiveness in the first half of seasons. Will he develop to be a dependable receiver?

Williams shows bursts of ability but needs to be more consistent and stay healthy.

Ginn needs to return kicks.

As stated above, not one of these guys is a proven NFL WR. The 9ers need to try and develop these guys AND bring in competition at a high level.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM ]
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
You guys need to chill and quit over-reacting. Crabtree towards the end of the year was money. He had 3 dropped passes and I think one got deflected and sailed low on him. Alex was getting passes deflected at the line all game. We played really well as a team. Crabs is also an excellent blocker but you guys just lock at the drops. The weak side of the o line still gets bum rushed and can't adjust. When you see the blitz coming on 3rd and long you can almost guarantee Alex is getting sacked.

is alex not allowed to audible or do we not have any hot reads in our offense? everyone in the world knows the blitz is coming but we dont ever adjust. what gives?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I want Bowe on the Niners roster in Sept '12

Having said that, I have complete faith in Crabtree to become a legitimate no.1 WR in this league in 2012.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM ]
I vote for WR, i think Crabtree had kind of a studder in his step against the saints, possibly still in shock he is where he is, not making any excuses but I would expect the better half of him to be starting against the Giants. Same goes for KW also, cuz after the game against the Saints Vernons gunna be overloaded with coverage leaving someone with an opprotunity in every pass play.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Having said that, I have complete faith in Crabtree to become a legitimate no.1 WR in this league in 2012.

Him and Jackson.......
WR and OL. Probably more WR.

RG is the weakest part of the line. LT, LG, and RT are good. C is solid but inconsistent, same with RG. Easily upgradable at RG though.

WR is the weakest spot overall. Crabtree is good, and will be even better next year, but everyone else after him is either average, below average, or unproven. Morgan would not start on most other teams.

Outside of Crabtree or Vernon, we just don't have anyone so dangerous that they can make a play at any time or at least more often than not. Patriots have Welker, Branch, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ocho.. Giants have Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Barden and big Ballard.

We need at least one more legit threat.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Him and Jackson.......
Lol we'd be extremely lucky to get one, if any. I don't see the chiefs letting Bowe go, he's the only really legit guy in their passing game, likely to get tagged because he'd actually be worth top 5 WR money.

V.Jackson I can see, because chargers are already saying he won't get tagged, and he's already in California so that's got to be a plus. I like that he's got rare height/speed combination. They are pursuing a long term deal with him so that's no guarantee either.

I wouldn't mind Manningham, Desean, a few others. But also keep baalke's "build through the draft" mentality in mind, it's fun to hope these guys may play here some day but we're more likely to draft for the need or take on cheaper FA players with something to prove(see edwards) than we are to throw money at anyone.
It comes down to the O-line and the WR's. I ultimately voted for the OL because I think our WR's are good enough to win a Super Bowl while the pass protection of our O-line worries me.
WR and its not even close. Alex needs help on the outside. Josh Morgan woulda been a huge asset on saturday
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
WR right now primarily because of injuries and lack of depth. But aside from that SS

SS? Did you see Donte Whitner personally set the tone for the entire game in that opening drive? SS is NOT a need.

YES it IS a need. Donte Whitner is a big hitter and great in run support, but he is f**king awful in coverage. If you disagree with that then you are blind and have not been paying attention.

We need a better selection of WR's....
Our TE's are more reliable then our WR's.
We have much more important needs. he's done exactly what we've asked of him.
YES it IS a need. Donte Whitner is a big hitter and great in run support, but he is f**king awful in coverage. If you disagree with that then you are blind and have not been paying attention.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I vote for WR, i think Crabtree had kind of a studder in his step against the saints, possibly still in shock he is where he is, not making any excuses but I would expect the better half of him to be starting against the Giants. Same goes for KW also, cuz after the game against the Saints Vernons gunna be overloaded with coverage leaving someone with an opprotunity in every pass play.

It was his first playoff game. Sort of stage fright. I guess that's why people tend to favor teams that have had playoff experience.

I believe he will be better Sunday.
Originally posted by JayDAche:
We have much more important needs. he's done exactly what we've asked of him.

Secondary is still just as important. WR only looks more important because we've been plagued by injuries. We have no depth at SS. Reggie Smith is terribad, and Whitner is a big hitter but struggles in coverage sometimes.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

It was his first playoff game. Sort of stage fright. I guess that's why people tend to favor teams that have had playoff experience.

I believe he will be better Sunday.

I hope so. He had some drops that just killed drives when we needed them. They were good throws too and hit his hands and the ball just went right through them. I really hope he steps it up next week.
Share 49ersWebzone