LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Heads up play by Carlos Rogers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
On the last Saints TD from Brees to Graham, if Carlos Rogers tackled Graham before the endzone, the Saints could've easily burned the clock and scored the winning TD. Allowing Graham to score gave our offense enough time to come back and win the game.

WOW
[ Edited by jimbo49ers on Jan 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM ]
They were down by 5 at that point. Score was 29 to 24 when they scored. I was hoping for a stop because our defense is beast in the red zone.
Yes man i saw that, he seemed to pull up from graham, everyone i was watching the game with was upset that he didnt tackle him but i was like no this is good this way we get almost 2 minutes plus have our timeout left to score a field goal at the very least!
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
They were down by 5 at that point. Score was 29 to 24 when they scored. I was hoping for a stop because our defense is beast in the red zone.

I think Rogers was trying to punch it out but Graham's so tall his arms easily stiff armed him. We can only wonder but like you said they need 5 not 3. Whitner just took a bad angle on that Willis had good coverage but Graham is so tall it was just over his outstretched hand. Whitner should have secured a tackle instead of going for the pick which he didn't have a play on. I know the guys in the NFL studio mentioned and I thought of this as well for a second should alex have sat down on that TD run. But Saints had 1 TM and the two minute warning meaning we would have only had 3rd down to kill clock before kicking a field goal meaning like 1:15 left we kick it (2:11 to 2 minutes, then 2 minutes TO, then 3rd down 2 to 1:15 45 secs). So we go up 26 to 24. with 1:15 left and then kick off... Smith was right running it in. Now if they didn't have the two minute or a timeout we could have taken it almost all the way down (3 secs or so) and set up for a game winning 20 yard field goal.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I think Rogers was trying to punch it out but Graham's so tall his arms easily stiff armed him. We can only wonder but like you said they need 5 not 3. Whitner just took a bad angle on that Willis had good coverage but Graham is so tall it was just over his outstretched hand. Whitner should have secured a tackle instead of going for the pick which he didn't have a play on. I know the guys in the NFL studio mentioned and I thought of this as well for a second should alex have sat down on that TD run. But Saints had 1 TM and the two minute warning meaning we would have only had 3rd down to kill clock before kicking a field goal meaning like 1:15 left we kick it (2:11 to 2 minutes, then 2 minutes TO, then 3rd down 2 to 1:15 45 secs). So we go up 26 to 24. with 1:15 left and then kick off... Smith was right running it in. Now if they didn't have the two minute or a timeout we could have taken it almost all the way down (3 secs or so) and set up for a game winning 20 yard field goal.

Yeah, it looked like Rogers was going for the punch out, but Graham had it in good location on the outside arm. If Rogers went for the tackle, it would've been around the 5 yard line anyway. But hell, I'm glad it happened the way it did. We all saw Alex grow up today. Hell of a game.
The first question Murph and Mac asked Harbaugh on KNBR the day Jim was hired was:

Murph: "You have 1:50 left in the game, opponent is on your 5, do you A: let them score to preserve clock, and get the ball back? -Or B: Let the opposing team drain the clock, and put the confidence on your defense?

Harbaugh: "Let them score and get the ball back."

-The moment Carlos blew that tackle, I knew there was a good reason (cause that's an easy tackle for Carlos). -They had to of gone over this possibility during meetings/walkthroughs due to NO being known for this stuff all season (when down a score). -It's one of those last minute instinctual calls.
Yeah, it looked like Rogers was going for the punch out, but Graham had it in good location on the outside arm. If Rogers went for the tackle, it would've been around the 5 yard line anyway. But hell, I'm glad it happened the way it did. We all saw Alex grow up today. Hell of a game.

Yep
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
The first question Murph and Mac asked Harbaugh on KNBR the day Jim was hired was:

Murph: "You have 1:50 left in the game, opponent is on your 5, do you A: let them score to preserve clock, and get the ball back? -Or B: Let the opposing team drain the clock, and put the confidence on your defense?

-The moment Carlos blew that tackle, I knew there was a good reason (cause that's an easy tackle for Carlos). -They had to of gone over this possibility during meetings/walkthroughs due to NO being known for this stuff all season (when down a score). -It's one of those last minute instinctual calls.

The difference coaching makes from one year to the next, the awareness!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Yeah I remember that interview. For Carlos to go through that thought process and play it out when everything in his body told him to cut down the ball runner is amazing.

I also remember a Carlos interview on KNBR and I think it was with Murph and Mac where they asked Carlos if he'd rather tackle air then tackle a big ball runner in full stride . . . . Carlos jokingly picked air. Yet on the field hes always put his body on the line.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Jan 15, 2012 at 2:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone