LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

KNBR radio broadcast

Shop Find 49ers gear online
ESPN and NFLN are playing the hell out of it. I love it
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I guess me being from Indiana (midwest) and now living in TX (south) is why it's more accepted? I don't know if that's completely true. I just think it's more "to each their own". I loved Davis's part in the call, others might not care for how Davis acted.

well, you can look @ it like this: by doing what he did, Eric Davis (despite his well-intentioned enthusiasm, and doing what any one of us would do seeing that TD in person):

1) undermined Ted Robinson's call with his "he's got it....got it!!" before the catch was even made (he would have sounded dumb if that catch wasn't made)
2) then he muddled the rest of Ted Robinson's call with his whooping and hollering

even if he didn't intend to preempt Ted R. in the heat of the moment, Eric pretty much usurped the moment in his excitement and a professional broadcaster should know better since those soundbites will be there for posterity and you never want to sound like a complete n00b (not to mention drag your colleague down with you) when you listen to yourself 10, 20, 30 years from now.
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM ]
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Nobody cares about an interjection such as "he got it!" from ED. It was ED's ridiculously prepubescent sounding squeal that came off as amateurish. Yeah, color commentators are supposed to be a part of big calls, but I've rarely heard a grown man on such a call sound like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. ED needed to check himself, and his stupid screaming/giggling took away from what Ted was doing.

Funny, but I don't remember anyone giggling and shrieking while Starkey was screaming "Owens! Owens! Owens! Owens!" for The Catch 2. Don't remember hearing it on The Catch radio call, either. ED came off like a total amateur. Not saying we need to draw and quarter him, but it was obnoxious. I'm sure someone upstairs will have a talk with him about it.

i watched the game all on TV, so perhaps my perspective is skewed. those who heard the TD call strictly on radio will perhaps appreciate more ED's fraction of a second early foresight of the TD and his and Ted R's combined excited rejoicing...to those people it would be memorable as an "epic" soundbite.

but to those who only saw the TV and heard the FOX commentators, then saw the combined TV/KNBR mashup replays on ESPN, ED's interjections and hollers do strike as amateurish and slightly embarassing.....whatever he'll learn
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM ]
Man how lame is it that people are groping over E.D.'s "squeal". Just about everyone probably let out the same scream at the same time. If you're lookin for a regular "professional" broadcast, then listen to Westood One. I for one am always gonna love that call by Davis. Everytime I hear it, a big smile just comes to my face. Go Niners! Wooooooooo!
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
this might've been the first memorable Niners playoff radio playcall for you new generation of fans (those too young to remember the last Niner playoff game 9 years ago, or even the last memorable TD catch in 1998-99), so I'll cut you guys some slack as well since most will not be as familiar or remember the Starkey/Walker or Starkey/Plummer radio era....

Even though its different times, and its been a while, in future playoff games i hope Eric Davis knows it better to just let Ted so the solo call of a gamewinning TD

I am quite surprised that anyone disagrees with Dr_Walsh on this one. Eric Davis just sounds like an idiot and it totally takes away from Ted's call. The "he got it" was bad enough, but to hoot and holler into the mic?? Just plain stupid.

Oh Joe Starkey we miss you...
Originally posted by samoan49er:
Man how lame is it that people are groping over E.D.'s "squeal". Just about everyone probably let out the same scream at the same time. If you're lookin for a regular "professional" broadcast, then listen to Westood One. I for one am always gonna love that call by Davis. Everytime I hear it, a big smile just comes to my face. Go Niners! Wooooooooo!

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Nobody cares about an interjection such as "he got it!" from ED. It was ED's ridiculously prepubescent sounding squeal that came off as amateurish. Yeah, color commentators are supposed to be a part of big calls, but I've rarely heard a grown man on such a call sound like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. ED needed to check himself, and his stupid screaming/giggling took away from what Ted was doing.

Funny, but I don't remember anyone giggling and shrieking while Starkey was screaming "Owens! Owens! Owens! Owens!" for The Catch 2. Don't remember hearing it on The Catch radio call, either. ED came off like a total amateur. Not saying we need to draw and quarter him, but it was obnoxious. I'm sure someone upstairs will have a talk with him about it.

The difference with Starkey's emotion is he wasn't ruining someone else's words. If Eric Davis was doing the game by himself (lol) it would have been okay. You have to let the play by play announcer AT LEAST call the live play. Then get emotional, ONE AT A TIME. Otherwise it just sounds like me and my brother in our living room haha
Originally posted by Furlow:

The difference with Starkey's emotion is he wasn't ruining someone else's words. If Eric Davis was doing the game by himself (lol) it would have been okay. You have to let the play by play announcer AT LEAST call the live play. Then get emotional, ONE AT A TIME. Otherwise it just sounds like me and my brother in our living room haha

thank you.

kids these days

let us know again in 20-30 years time when they replay VD's TD and you have to listen to Ted Robinson's epic call.......that's prematurely preempted by Eric Davis
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM ]

let us know again in 20-30 years time when they replay VD's TD and you have to listen to Ted Robinson's epic call.......that's prematurely preempted by Eric Davis
I'll still love it. Will take me back to the exact moment it happened and how excited I was too. Just like E.D. was.

I'll still love it. Will take me back to the exact moment it happened and how excited I was too. Just like E.D. was.

whatevs...won't stop you from being happy, which is what we all should be this epic day

thank you.

kids these days

Just because one person agrees with you doesn't mean the general consensus does. Hardly a reason to say "kids these days." It was an epic playcall and has been played over ESPN, CBS Sports and numerous other highlights. It was an amazing moment and tbh, who cares if there was homerism, IT WAS A BAY AREA SPORTS BROADCAST. Get over it. Great playcall, great play, end of story. If this is what you are most worried at the end of the day then

Niners won baby. While you worry about the KNBR broadcast, I'm like

whatevs...won't stop you from being happy, which is what we all should be this epic day

Originally posted by Youngb:
Just because one person agrees with you doesn't mean the general consensus does. Hardly a reason to say "kids these days." It was an epic playcall and has been played over ESPN, CBS Sports and numerous other highlights. It was an amazing moment and tbh, who cares if there was homerism, IT WAS A BAY AREA SPORTS BROADCAST. Get over it. Great playcall, great play, end of story. If this is what you are most worried at the end of the day then

Niners won baby. While you worry about the KNBR broadcast, I'm like

• Furlow
  • Veteran

thank you.

kids these days
Yeah I hear you...
Share 49ersWebzone