LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

"The Joe Show" - Joe Staley Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • oklasooners
  • Info N/A
staley is very overrated by this site. i posted that i wouldnt be upset if we traded up for okung and i got many posts saying "why!!?? we have staley" its ridiculous. he is a better RT. i heard a stat that said the last year staley started he gave up the 3rd most sacks among starting LT's. OVERRATED
I guess this is going to be another long offseason after the draft.

Who ever said there is no such thing as a stupid question, needs to be horse whipped with an industrial strength spaghetti noodle.

The man is going into his third year and is one of our BEST Linemen. How in the blue blazes is that "overrated"?

Is a million dollars overrated even in todays economy? I don't think so even if the government would get 2/3 of it from me, both state and Fed.

I'd take what was left over and Paaaaaaaaa-aaaaartay!

~Ceadder
It depends what you mean by over-rated. Staley is NOT a Pro-bowler. However, he is rock solid. Could he be a better RT - who knows? The fact is our OL SUCKS! We need a quality OL to win championships and we don't have one.

Staley is one of our top 2 linemen, Heitman being the other. Whether he is over-rated is a non-issue at best - he is what we got.
Originally posted by WildBill:
As a left tackle he above average, consider this though, as it was said he is a converted TE, not only that but his original position was RT. So what he has done is extraordinary.

We really do need a tackle, but this year I feel good cause Sims did a good job at LT when Staley was out. However if we get Williams, great it would be even better to get a left tackle and let Staley slide back to his more natural position.

He played his sophmore year and rookie year at RT
Junior and senior year and every other year at LT.
RT is NOT his natural position.
Originally posted by oklasooners:
staley is very overrated by this site. i posted that i wouldnt be upset if we traded up for okung and i got many posts saying "why!!?? we have staley" its ridiculous. he is a better RT. i heard a stat that said the last year staley started he gave up the 3rd most sacks among starting LT's. OVERRATED

He did not give up the 3rd most sacks by at starting LT last year, not even close more like 23rd most sacks given up by a LT starting at least 9 games.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

He did not give up the 3rd most sacks by at starting LT last year, not even close more like 23rd most sacks given up by a LT starting at least 9 games.

lol 3 sacks is the 3rd most? haha

and what he only had like 4 qb pressures too the guy may not be pro bowl level but he is above average
Depends were you ranked him. He is a good Tackle. Not great or Elite yet. I never thought he was elite or a great one yet, but to answer the question, he is overrated by 49er fans.
He's an average LT.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

lol 3 sacks is the 3rd most? haha

and what he only had like 4 qb pressures too the guy may not be pro bowl level but he is above average

He did only play 9 games but i still imagine that's better than 3rd most sacks given up.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I guess this is going to be another long offseason after the draft.

Who ever said there is no such thing as a stupid question, needs to be horse whipped with an industrial strength spaghetti noodle.

The man is going into his third year and is one of our BEST Linemen. How in the blue blazes is that "overrated"?

Is a million dollars overrated even in todays economy? I don't think so even if the government would get 2/3 of it from me, both state and Fed.

I'd take what was left over and Paaaaaaaaa-aaaaartay!

~Ceadder

Actually he'll be going into his 4th year, and there is no sight of Staley ever becoming a probowl tackle. Im not saying he isnt decent, but the fans on the webzone give Staley too much credit than he deserves. So if the Niners do draft a better LT and decide to move the rookie to RT, then I'm not sure the coaches are doing the OL any good. I sure hope we draft and better OT that can push Staley back to RT and show a lot of webzoners that think Staley is a top tier LT that they make him out to be.

[ Edited by REDx85xGOLD on Apr 4, 2010 at 13:05:44 ]

I guess that would be up to how highly you rate him.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
He is an above average LT but nowhere near elite or dominant

I agree. He stands out on our O-line because almost everybody else sucks.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Considering that Barry Sims outplayed Joe Staley last year, yes Staley is overrated.
yup
AT LT, yes. Doesn't seem quick enough in space to be a top-tier guy, which is what a lot of people seem to think he is.

Sims may not be as good a player, but I thought he looked more in sync with the other linemen and did a better job when he was in there.
Share 49ersWebzone