There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Staley's contract inquiry

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That's just how the Niners FO rolls. They don't negotiate with holdouts, and they've been very consistent with that approach. If they cave in just one time, it will give players future incentive to hold out.

There are a lot of questions about our upcoming cap situation. We don't want to commit big money to Boone before we find out what happens with Crab, Aldon, Iupati, and others.

The problem now is, how do they define "caving in"?

Because now that the players have held out, even if they show up tomorrow and they sign an extension a week later, it still creates the idea, that if you hold-out, you will get a result.

I would define "caving in" as negotiating a new contract without the player showing up to camp.

Just to be clear, showing up to camp should not guarantee a new deal. The team has to take care of their overall salary cap situation, before any individual player.

Just make it clear to the player -- "We're not promising you a new deal, but if you don't show up, you surely won't get one."
Boone isn't going to get s**t. It wouldn't be cool to give in to Boon and expect all other players to do it the 49ers way. Signing short contracts that appear to be for less money is good for a player and balances out as long as the team stays comes through with another 2-year deal after the 2 years are up.

Player A signs for big money for 6 or so years. 4 years later, player A's contract doesn't appear as big anymore due to Sports inflation.

Player B signs a respectable deal but for below the highest level for only two years. 2 years later, the team extends him for more respectable money in comparison to other current contracts.

Either way, you get a huge deal for many years and your contract gets outdated according to the market value toward the latter years or you keep reupping every two years per current market.
Great move locking up Joe!

As for VD - He's going to show up and play. His deal is still pretty good and his future is in hands [pun intended]

ABoone - This is a tough call BUT he has zero leverage so I feel, eventually, he'll give in and get on the field.

The signing was also a great move because of the message it sent - loud and clear; "If you show up so will the FO." Just a matter of when.
Awesome job locking up Staley!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

As for VD - He's going to show up and play. His deal is still pretty good and his future is in hands [pun intended]

ABoone - This is a tough call BUT he has zero leverage so I feel, eventually, he'll give in and get on the field.

The signing was also a great move because of the message it sent - loud and clear; "If you show up so will the FO." Just a matter of when.

Loving THIS about 49ers F.O.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by crake49:
I kind of feel sorry for the Rhino. He's heavily under-paid and now he's kind of made a play that makes it difficult for Baalke to capitulate to him.

Hard for me to feel sorry for millionaires.

this lol
Lol wow, that extension was a shot 'cross the bow(spell check)
f**k Boone. Report and get an extension or sit at home and watch a backup take your spot. It's not like Boone is the key to the offense.
Good extension, just saw the news, haven't seen details yet.
A different take on this is it can be a blessing in disguise.

When Aldon was out last season, Lemoniere really got better the more he was on the field.

Hopefully, with more playing time, whoever fills in if VD & Boone take it into the season will also really improve.
F Yeah Staley baby!
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
this lol

Is Boone even a millionaire? He barely makes over a million a year before taxes
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
this lol

Is Boone even a millionaire? He barely makes over a million a year before taxes

Hehe I think he got 7 million bonus initially
Originally posted by Youngone:
f**k Boone. Report and get an extension or sit at home and watch a backup take your spot. It's not like Boone is the key to the offense.

I like Boone a lot. I think he's getting some bad advice from his agent/people.
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Loving THIS about 49ers F.O.

Yup...came in to say the same....good soldiers are taken care of, deserters are left to rot.