There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Staley's contract inquiry

The Staley contract extension all but guarantees a Super Bowl championship parade inside Great America
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Staley's extension is just a perfect illustration of how Niners FO operates. Reward players accordingly who have shown their true worth. I think it's also a subtle message to Boone - prove it for 1 more season you're a top 20 Guard and you'll get paid like one.

This exactly. I hope Boone is paying attention. Staley didn't skip any off-season sessions. He just went about his business quietly and got the extension he deserved.
This is the first step in resigning EITHER Boone or Iupati. Staley needed to be the highest paid, now the hierarchy is more appropriate.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Staley's extension is just a perfect illustration of how Niners FO operates. Reward players accordingly who have shown their true worth. I think it's also a subtle message to Boone - prove it for 1 more season you're a top 20 Guard and you'll get paid like one.

This exactly. I hope Boone is paying attention. Staley didn't skip any off-season sessions. He just went about his business quietly and got the extension he deserved.

Staley has also made about $30mil. more in his career than Boone has though.
Any news on the contract details? Does it change what he makes this year? Was this a way to make more cap room for Boone/VD?
nice locking up our best oline IMO, staley gonna be a niner for life, besides he loves the bay.
Originally posted by Disp:

Staley has also made about $30mil. more in his career than Boone has though.

Doesn't matter. Staley has also been underpaid for several seasons. He's a franchise LT that is making nowhere near the money he should. He didn't holdout. He showed up everyday and got his pay raise.
I kind of feel sorry for the Rhino. He's heavily under-paid and now he's kind of made a play that makes it difficult for Baalke to capitulate to him. He's got to be looking at Staley and wondering if he's done this the right way or if his agent has given him bad advice. Because if he had done things Staley's way, they might be in the process of re-writing his contract right now as well.
Originally posted by crake49:
I kind of feel sorry for the Rhino. He's heavily under-paid and now he's kind of made a play that makes it difficult for Baalke to capitulate to him.

Hard for me to feel sorry for millionaires.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This is the first step in resigning EITHER Boone or Iupati. Staley needed to be the highest paid, now the hierarchy is more appropriate.

Maybe it sends the message that, if you show up to camp, you might get an extension.
I kind of feel sorry for the Rhino. He's heavily under-paid and now he's kind of made a play that makes it difficult for Baalke to capitulate to him. He's got to be looking at Staley and wondering if he's done this the right way or if his agent has given him bad advice. Because if he had done things Staley's way, they might be in the process of re-writing his contract right now as well.

theres nothing to feel sorry for. he got an extension in late 2011 when he wasnt even playing ahead of rachal or snyder. he took the marginal raise as opposed to playing out his contract. as it turns out the next year was a great year for him in 2012 and probably better than his 2013 season. now he is holding out with a team that wont cave in and rewards guys who show up in mean time. its the same as if ian williams blew up this year and then wanted a new contract. no you just got a raise when you were a nobody, the potential downside of that is outplaying your contract you just signed. thats business.

That's just how the Niners FO rolls. They don't negotiate with holdouts, and they've been very consistent with that approach. If they cave in just one time, it will give players future incentive to hold out.

There are a lot of questions about our upcoming cap situation. We don't want to commit big money to Boone before we find out what happens with Crab, Aldon, Iupati, and others.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Maybe it sends the message that, if you show up to camp, you might get an extension.

That too!

well like harbaugh said...we can't negotiate with players who aren't at participating in practices. The 49ers FO don't fold to demand like these but yet they reward good behavior and team ethic which is what boone and V.davis are lacking at the moment. I really hope they just show up already and stop this drama.

BTW congrats Staley..i never want to see you in any other colors
That's just how the Niners FO rolls. They don't negotiate with holdouts, and they've been very consistent with that approach. If they cave in just one time, it will give players future incentive to hold out.

There are a lot of questions about our upcoming cap situation. We don't want to commit big money to Boone before we find out what happens with Crab, Aldon, Iupati, and others.

The problem now is, how do they define "caving in"?

Because now that the players have held out, even if they show up tomorrow and they sign an extension a week later, it still creates the idea, that if you hold-out, you will get a result.