There are 262 users in the forums

Remember Dan Marino...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by Joecool:
The differnce is we had the best QB of all time.

Right now we have the best game manager of all 2011.

Meh, it could be argued that Montana was a game manager also...in the regular season. He unleashed the fury in the playoffs...or Walsh unleashed the plays.

Let's hope Alex does the same.

Not a game manager just a different league back them. He never had a 4,000 yd season and only had more the 500 pass attemps 2 times.

He has 3900 yards twice and consistently hit 3600. Different league in those days. The WR could get pummeled.
Montana a game manager? I think I am going to be sick. I think to attain veteran status here you should have to pass a test on the history of the NFL. All you guys relying on stats at least compare them to the stats in the era the guys played in, stop comparing 1981 to 2011.

Yes, he was a game manager. Look at 1:25 of this video. He is just sitting back in the pocket, with ALL DAY to throw. And hits a WR who catches the ball only because he is 6'4 tall. It just proves that playing quarterback is all about the time in the pocket, combined with the height of your receivers.

Ahhh, this is the thread I wanted to see, I was holding off on posting one to make sure. The parallels are scary for this game to the 84 and first SB the Niners won. Especially all this BS about the unstoppable Brees as the same tat was said over an over about Marino.. His WR aren't nearly as good as Clayton and that other midget! However, they are very good.

Fangio is working over time to get Aldon up the middle on trick stunts, fakes; WHATEVER IT TAKES, to get to and knock that guy down. Like I've been saying and mark my words; this will be THE hardest hitting game of the year..unless of course we get to play in GB, then there will be another, but for now..I expect to see helmets flying all over the place...

NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
In 1984 we were ranked 2nd in points scored and yards so we only needed to slow Marino down a little to win, we are 11th in points and 26th in yards this year.

history).Do you remember that team or just digging up 28 year old stats? Damn, I hate it when guys bring out these 'stats', I don't think you saw our defense in 1984; was was one of the best in the NFL (and heralded by many as the best defense in niner
Ha,Ha. Sorry I should have said our offense was #2, meaning we were also expected to score on the Dolphins. My point was the 84 squad just needed to slow Marino down a little and they would win. Just slowing Brees down a little will probably not be enough, the offense isn't geared to win a shootout. People seem to be comparing this team to the 5 Super Bowl teams in quite a few threads, I think most of us who have been around a while find that laughable.
That's true Bob, but could ya try not to be a Debbie Downer plez, we aint been there for 10 years and our glorious teams from back in the day are for the most part incomparable and not around anymore.

I was in Bombay when the 84 SB was played trying to find out who won and I was running around in the lobby of that big hotel on the beach that got terrorized last year, and when I got the score.. Well there was lots-o Indians wondering what that crazy white man was screaming about...
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:43 AM ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Remember to click it or ticket

Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
Marino set the yards passing record during a 14 game schedule if memory serves me correctly. Brees in 15 games. Still very impressive.

What? Marino set the record in 1984, the same year (season) they played the 49ers in SB19. The 49ers were 15-1 that year and the Dolphins were 14-2. The 49ers were 13-3 in 1981 when they won SB16. The NFL has had a 16 game season since 1978.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Remember to click it or ticket

over the limit, under arrest
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Meh, it could be argued that Montana was a game manager also...in the regular season. He unleashed the fury in the playoffs...or Walsh unleashed the plays.

Not a game manager just a different league back them. He never had a 4,000 yd season and only had more the 500 pass attemps 2 times.

He has 3900 yards twice and consistently hit 3600. Different league in those days. The WR could get pummeled.
Montana a game manager? I think I am going to be sick. I think to attain veteran status here you should have to pass a test on the history of the NFL. All you guys relying on stats at least compare them to the stats in the era the guys played in, stop comparing 1981 to 2011.

Yes, he was a game manager. Look at 1:25 of this video. He is just sitting back in the pocket, with ALL DAY to throw. And hits a WR who catches the ball only because he is 6'4 tall. It just proves that playing quarterback is all about the time in the pocket, combined with the height of your receivers.

What the hell? I only said he was a game manager type in the regular season. In the playoffs he showed what he was really capable of. Point: he and Walsh didn't care at all about regular season stats and did and called plays that ONLY required the win. Come playoff time, they both unleashed the Hulk Smash.

2nd Point: Let us hope Alex is similar in that aspect.

What the hell? I only said he was a game manager type in the regular season. In the playoffs he showed what he was really capable of. Point: he and Walsh didn't care at all about regular season stats and did and called plays that ONLY required the win. Come playoff time, they both unleashed the Hulk Smash.

Let's also hope that Harbaugh/Roman has an arsenel of plays that they have been perfecting in practice, but holding out of games.
Our QB was slightly better back then....
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Holly crap you were serious. Maybe we disagree on "game manager". If your QB is a game manager you take next to no risk. If you are sitting 3rd and 15 in field goal range in a tight game, you run a draw play up the middle. Don't think they were doing that in the Montana era.

Holly crap you were serious. Maybe we disagree on "game manager". If your QB is a game manager you take next to no risk. If you are sitting 3rd and 15 in field goal range in a tight game, you run a draw play up the middle. Don't think they were doing that in the Montana era.

I'm talking about stats. Alex Smith's stats say he's a game manager, but if you watched him play, he is FAR from a game manager. Joe Montana had game manager type of stats in the regular season staying below 200 yards per game, but if you watched him play, it was obvious he only did what coach asked him to do. If coach asked him to play it safe, he did. If coach asked him to score a go ahead drive, he did.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

I'm talking about stats. Alex Smith's stats say he's a game manager, but if you watched him play, he is FAR from a game manager. Joe Montana had game manager type of stats in the regular season staying below 200 yards per game, but if you watched him play, it was obvious he only did what coach asked him to do. If coach asked him to play it safe, he did. If coach asked him to score a go ahead drive, he did.
Do me a favor, compare Joe Montana's yardage to other QBs of that era, not to 2011. Montana was always in the top ten in yardage and averaged about 5th in yardage per year in the regular season, that hardly makes him a game manager. Remember the rules were different. Alex Smith's yardage totals never crack the top 20.
we beat dan in the bowl, and we had montana, very different, alex may play like montana sat ( i hope he does) but i like your comparison.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
That was damn near a home game for us and weren't we favored by 3.5?

I believe so, it was between 3-4 points we were favored by.
I remember tthat well. Coming into the game Marino, Clayton, Duper were getting the favorite coverage from the media.

Bill Walsh and the great 49ers showed the world we were to be respected and a force to be respected.

It does seem similar but not the same. That was then and now is now. Our new dynasty is on track with new stars and an excellent front ooffice with a coach who will be famous for his successes.
Share 49ersWebzone