There are 205 users in the forums

Assessing Receivers and the OL: We NEED Upgrades

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
We need a jump ball guy who can give us 500 yds but avg 25 per. Crabs gives us the Rac threat and Vernon gives us the gonna f**k you up threat. I relly like Kyle Williams and he can be all over the field including the backfield.

i agree

we just need a mismatch who will draw attention away from VD

thats why i want to draft floyd or wright both of those will draw attention away from VD one has speed other has size

sanu is decent overall option with lots of upside buut wont demand double teams atm however he will give us another weapon and spread the D pretty thin if they still want to double VD
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
If Crabtree doesn't have the speed to go deep and is only a possession type receiver who has trouble getting open, why did we draft him so high? Was that a run on sentence or what? It just seems to me that he shouldn't have been picked that high if he doesn't have the whole package as a receiver. Also, if Ted Ginn is so fast, why is he not a deep threat. Don't tell me he can't catch. Well, you can tell me that, but I'm tired of hearing it.

Crabtree is the total package. It all depends on how you use a receiver. He will be the focus of our passing game next season but Alex still needs to work on his outside the hash game.

Vernon may just light the league on fire if we replace Delanie with a blocker who can also catch and beat LBs when we need. As much of a mismatch Delanie is, we keep Vernon in to block too much for blocks Delanie just cant make. I dont want to see our 4.38 TE stay into block because the other guy cant.

I agree this is possible. I also think the same can be said if we can find a guy at WR good enough to draw coverage away from Vernon Davis and the others.

So we have two ways to open things up in the passing game for various players.

We need a jump ball guy who can give us 500 yds but avg 25 per. Crabs gives us the Rac threat and Vernon gives us the gonna f**k you up threat. I relly like Kyle Williams and he can be all over the field including the backfield.

I think 500 is a little low. I have a little higher expectations, and would say 600-750.

I feel like if we had 3 possession receivers, and 3 blazing speedster WRs, we'd be perfectly balanced. Right now, we've got 1 possession and 1 speedster signed for next year (Crabtree and Williams). Morgan is assumed back, so we can go ahead and bump it to 2-1. We need three new receivers if Ginn doesn't return. The third possession guy we all agree needs to be that red zone monster. The second and third speedsters need to be lightning bolts that can take a 2 yard pass, juke defenders out of their socks and take it 80 yards to the house, like the Eagles (Jackson-Maclin), Packers (Jennings-Cobb), and the Steelers (Wallace-Brown-Sanders). Unsurprising enough, all three were in the top 10 in passing in the NFL this past season.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM ]
It would be nice to add a receiver or two but it is also important to keep any receivers Smith has a feel for, or is getting a feel for. VD and Morgan have shown that they can play very well and help Smith's game, Williams may emerge this year with one more camp. I really don't know that Ginn will ever be a receiver so would keep him as a returner unless they can find a couple of guys who can do a solid job...but not sure the 9ers can keep a sixth WR just to keep Ginn. Perhaps I am undervalueing him.

As far as who to add, I would add someone who is fearless and has great hands...attacks the ball. If he can have speed or is tall all the better.
Share 49ersWebzone